• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Jan Vertonghen

Had a very good game yesterday and in fairness given his lack of time, so did Wimmer. I haven't been overly impressed with Vertonghen this season, at times I feel he could be a bit more commanding but yesterday was definitely a really solid performance.

I think he has stepped up in Toby's absence

When you see the lad they paid £30m for and cost more than our whole defence!!!

He has to a point but i think he has been playing really well for a while, but because Toby has ( rightly) got a lot of plaudits, Jan's performances have gone unnoticed by some but he has helped give us the best CB partnership in the Prem.

He has to a point but i think he has been playing really well for a while, but because Toby has ( rightly) got a lot of plaudits, Jan's performances have gone unnoticed by some but he has helped give us the best CB partnership in the Prem.

He has been playing well but in Toby's absence he has shown defence leadership qualities for me

He is a brilliant centre half. Positionally good, strong enough, fast enough and excellent on the ball. We are lucky to have him as well as Toby and I think it has taken Toby being out for many people to stop taking Vertonghen for granted.

He is a brilliant centre half. Positionally good, strong enough, fast enough and excellent on the ball. We are lucky to have him as well as Toby and I think it has taken Toby being out for many people to stop taking Vertonghen for granted.
So true! When Toby and Verts are together I consider him to be much the weaker, but when Toby isn't playing he does really step up. I can only conclude that this is because Toby really is that good....

So true! When Toby and Verts are together I consider him to be much the weaker, but when Toby isn't playing he does really step up. I can only conclude that this is because Toby really is that good....
I don't see him as being noticeably weaker than Toby. I also think that Walker has the edge over Rose defensively so it is a little easier playing on the right of our two centre halves than the left of the two.

Something that I have noticed and find strange when both Alderwiereld and Vertonghen play together though is that Toby comes forward for corners but Jan doesn't? Back when Jan first played for us under AVB he gave us a real threat from set pieces. It seems strange to me to leave one of our centre halves back when we have a corner?

He has been playing well but in Toby's absence he has shown defence leadership qualities for me

Well i know i am probably in the minority here but i wanted him to be made Capt ( never thought keepers make good Capts). He has played that role at Ajax and also for the national team. I have always thought that Jan is a excellent CB but he does get over shadowed alongside Toby.

My thoughts as well, Toby was not at his best in the summer for Belgium and i think a lot of that may have been because Jan had to play LB. What i mean is that Jan helps to make Toby look good as he is the perfect partner for him. We are lucky to have them both playing for us.

Its in the eye of the beholder, he has always been a very good player for us.

Spot on.

He was understandably frustrated towards the end under AVB and under Sherwood. It's kind of strange that every fan was frustrated borderline mental with anger at that time, but a player showing his frustration with the situation for himself and the club is marked as lacking mental strength for years.

Well i know i am probably in the minority here but i wanted him to be made Capt ( never thought keepers make good Capts). He has played that role at Ajax and also for the national team. I have always thought that Jan is a excellent CB but he does get over shadowed alongside Toby.
On form, Jan is an outstanding CB but - captain material? Uh ho.

Spot on.

He was understandably frustrated towards the end under AVB and under Sherwood. It's kind of strange that every fan was frustrated borderline mental with anger at that time, but a player showing his frustration with the situation for himself and the club is marked as lacking mental strength for years.

And never forget his poor body language ( according to the experts) ;)

Its in the eye of the beholder, he has always been a very good player for us.

Against Monaco he wasn't. And Poch let him know it.

And that's always been the problem with Vertonghen. You can't rely on him.
He has a habit of going to ground high up the pitch with tackles he thinks he can make but doesnt.
And he loves pushing players and holding on to jerseys.
The penalty he give up on Wednesday against Holland was embarrassing.

On his day he's brilliant but he's inconsistent.

Back