• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Jan Vertonghen

I don't think its been as much of a problem as we envisaged, Wimmer has done well.

It's cover for Kane and Dier/Dembele that worries me.

The key for Wimmer doing well has (imo) been slotting in next to Alderweireld and coming into a very well functioning team.
As we saw yesterday when next to Dier in a team with many changes he struggled a bit more.

Similarly we did well without Dier at DM when Dembele covered, in part because the rest of the team was largely unchanged and working at a very high level.

But if we have to do without multiple of those first choice players, like missing Dier and Vertonghen for example, could mean more problems. So hopefully Verts is back again soon.

The key for Wimmer doing well has (imo) been slotting in next to Alderweireld and coming into a very well functioning team.
As we saw yesterday when next to Dier in a team with many changes he struggled a bit more.

Similarly we did well without Dier at DM when Dembele covered, in part because the rest of the team was largely unchanged and working at a very high level.

But if we have to do without multiple of those first choice players, like missing Dier and Vertonghen for example, could mean more problems. So hopefully Verts is back again soon.

Exactly. Dier and Wimmer should never play together in defence. They are too inexperienced. There should be atleast 1 experienced player in each positions, especially in defence.

Exactly. Dier and Wimmer should never play together in defence. They are too inexperienced. There should be atleast 1 experienced player in each positions, especially in defence.

There were no problems caused by that partnership. Unless you think Dier should've scampered behind Rose to cover the left when Rose came in towards the central area he was already covering? Which would, in fact, be mental.

I'm thankful that my fears of lacking a replacement for Jan turned out to be largely unfounded thanks to Wimmer's form, although his relationship with Toby isn't as telepathic as the one Toby has with Jan - I remember Pardew or someone saying that Toby and Jan play like midfielders, and very tactically astute midfielders at that. Wimmer's more safety-first.

I'm still worried about losing Toby, but to be fair, no one (not Dier, not Jan, not Wimmer, not even Gerard Pique) could replace that man in the side at present.

There were no problems caused by that partnership. Unless you think Dier should've scampered behind Rose to cover the left when Rose came in towards the central area he was already covering? Which would, in fact, be mental.
I think we looked a bit shakier than usual in the back, but that may have been probably more due to the fact there was no Dier in midfield.

Not what I said, and I disagree.

I think it's a good learning experience for them. And (knock on wood) should Toby pick up an injury before Verts is back the two of them is likely to be our starting PL centre back pairing for a bit. Them getting some experience playing together is a good thing. I just think it needs to be remembered when evaluating the performance of either of them (and others) that it's still early in a learning experience for them to play like that.

Not what I said, and I disagree.

I think it's a good learning experience for them. And (knock on wood) should Toby pick up an injury before Verts is back the two of them is likely to be our starting PL centre back pairing for a bit. Them getting some experience playing together is a good thing. I just think it needs to be remembered when evaluating the performance of either of them (and others) that it's still early in a learning experience for them to play like that.

To add to that; Dier and Wimmer didn't have Dier in front of them (not an Andy Goram reference).

Wimmer playing well enough but still getting used to EPL. We miss Jan with the balls on the inside channel.

Wimmer playing well enough but still getting used to EPL. We miss Jan with the balls on the inside channel.

We just miss Jan, on quite a few things. Again, I'm reminded of Pardew mentioning how Toby and Jan play like midfielders at times. The kind of attacking impetus that gives us is immense in its own right. Wimmer's been good, but he's prone to shaky moments and spells (as anyone would be when compared to the steadiness of the Toby-Jan partnership) and he's more inclined to be a traditional, safety-first centre-back.

F*ck Connor f*cking Wickham.

We just miss Jan, on quite a few things. Again, I'm reminded of Pardew mentioning how Toby and Jan play like midfielders at times. The kind of attacking impetus that gives us is immense in its own right. Wimmer's been good, but he's prone to shaky moments and spells (as anyone would be when compared to the steadiness of the Toby-Jan partnership) and he's more inclined to be a traditional, safety-first centre-back.

F*ck Connor f*cking Wickham.

With Dier often joining the centre backs in the buildup play and sometimes having rather quiet days on the ball there's quite a bit of difference with having Vertonghen in there doing his confident thing on the ball. Will be very good to have him back, though Wimmer deserves a lot of credit for the way he's come in. And I'm sure Wimmer with more experience and a couple of years on the training ground will do even better, including his work on the ball.

Hope he is back soon, Wimmer has done great but his has struggled in the last couple of games ( not surprising really as he has not really had a lot of top football before coming here). I also think that when Dier plays at CB alongside him we look dodgy.

Hope he is back soon, Wimmer has done great but his has struggled in the last couple of games ( not surprising really as he has not really had a lot of top football before coming here). I also think that when Dier plays at CB alongside him we look dodgy.

That's because Dier is a bit dodgy as a CB.

That's because Dier is a bit dodgy as a CB.

I can't dance with that but alongside Jan he looked ok. All I am saying is that once Jan is back we can rest Toby and that means we do not have to have the pairing of Dier and Wimmer which looks shakey.

Back