• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Jackson Martinez

NWND

Banned
Portuguese newspaper Record have today claimed that we have bid 30 million euros for Jackson Martinez. This is 10 million euros short of his release clause, but apparently we have decided to do this before he sits down with Porto to discuss a new deal.

He's a Colombian striker, 26 years old who had a pretty extraordinary first season for Porto.

I would be very surprised if Porto sold him for anything less than the release clause having just sold two of their biggest stars already this window.

Would be super exciting if we did manage to sign him, but like metalgear I think he will be too expensive.

We can easily afford 30m euros, probably £30m and am pretty sure have bid in this region for players in the past. The problem is these valued player command the type of wages that doesn't fit into our structure....

As if we would ever offer €30m for someone!

We could afford it, but if we did i doubt we'd do much other business this summer.. (before sales)..

Just because we don't doesnt mean we cant. Lewis is flush, he is the owner of our club and if we wanted to spend 30m on a player we will. For whatever reasons, we dont... wither Lewis doesnt want to treat us as a toy, wants to run it like a proper business or Levy wants to keep us in the black is anyones guess, but we could if we wanted.

Just because we don't doesnt mean we cant. Lewis is flush, he is the owner of our club and if we wanted to spend 30m on a player we will. For whatever reasons, we dont... wither Lewis doesnt want to treat us as a toy, wants to run it like a proper business or Levy wants to keep us in the black is anyones guess, but we could if we wanted.

Agreed.

Lewis won't fund our transfers before Enic owns 100% of Spurs - it just won't happen. I don't think he will afterwards either, but that's irrelevant.

He's throwing away money if he buys players without full control.

So you're saying that if something fundamental changes (ie the club stops being run as a business as it has been the whole way through the Lewis/ENIC/Levy era) then we could make €30m offers?! Clearly! however you have to assume that the club will carry on being run on a stable financial basis and as an investment and therefore we won't be making €30m offers

So you're saying that if something fundamental changes (ie the club stops being run as a business as it has been the whole way through the Lewis/ENIC/Levy era) then we could make €30m offers?! Clearly! however you have to assume that the club will carry on being run on a stable financial basis and as an investment and therefore we won't be making €30m offers

Maintaining a stable financial basis also means balancing wages with fees though. I remember reading that Porto's average wage is in the high 20's to low 30 thousands of euros per week. So if we were to offer say £40kpw that's almost a 50% wage increase to those players. The highest we've spent on a player is about £17m which is about €20m.. The difference in price of bringing in a €20m player on £70kpw and a €30m player on £40kpw on 5 year contracts is pretty negligible in the grand scheme of things, so on that basis it is sound financially.

I do agree with you though in that it probably won't happen, simply because a player who has been brought in for that sort of money will expect accompanying high wages.

What if its a deal whose total value equates to 30 million euros. E.g. 10 million downpayment and the rest spread over 5 seasons?

Alternatively, if it comes out that we have agreed to sign someone for 30 million euros, would it be sensible to conclude that we've agreed to sell Bale but don't want to announce it before we've done a couple of 'fan-appeasement' signings?

What if its a deal whose total value equates to 30 million euros. E.g. 10 million downpayment and the rest spread over 5 seasons?

Still €30m and still a deal which we haven't historically done before.

I know people will argue that increased TV money is on its way however I would imagine that the lion's share of that has already been ear-marked for the stadium. We also knew about the tv cash in Jan and didn't change our transfer policy then - just cant see it happening now. Sorry to put a dampner on things!

Still €30m and still a deal which we haven't historically done before.

I know people will argue that increased TV money is on its way however I would imagine that the lion's share of that has already been ear-marked for the stadium. We also knew about the tv cash in Jan and didn't change our transfer policy then - just cant see it happening now. Sorry to put a dampner on things!

I would doubt any of the increased tv money is to be used for the stadium. More likely the stadium will be funded by a sponsorship deal plus a bank loan.

If we allow other teams to use the money on their squads and fail to do so ourselves we would be putting ourselves at a disadvantage, it would not make sense.

100% disagree. Think it'll all be needed

If it is than we're fudged as we'll struggle to remain competitive in the short term.

Sponsorship + loan, then pay off loan with increased revenue from increased capacity.

My point still stands.... just because we don't doesn't mean we cant.

Lewis is the owner of our club, that doesn't mean Tottenham Hotspur can afford to do anything through. Lewis' money is not Spurs' money.

It would not make financial sense for Lewis to spend money buying us players. On the other hand an interest free loan to fund our stadium would make financial sense, dependent on the alternatives and the cash he actually has available.

Lewis is the owner of our club, that doesn't mean Tottenham Hotspur can afford to do anything through. Lewis' money is not Spurs' money.

It would not make financial sense for Lewis to spend money buying us players. On the other hand an interest free loan to fund our stadium would make financial sense, dependent on the alternatives and the cash he actually has available.

The Sheik's money is not City's money, the russians money is not chelsea's, psg/monaco/malaga etc is not their money either.

not directed at you here but just in general...this is the final time I say this, just because we dont spend 30m on a player doesnt mean we cant, fudging accept it.

Back