• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

ITK Thread

There's your answer. Roger works for the mail i believe.

The BBC have just mentioned our interest in Worm also whilst announcing Davies going for medical, although I suppose that could be potentially off the back of the Mail article. Would be one of the strangest deals for both player and club if true....

It makes good sense to get Vorm in. Basically its succession planning for IF Lloris one day leaves next summer which is a possiility.

It makes good sense to get Vorm in. Basically its succession planning for IF Lloris one day leaves next summer which is a possiility.

Spot on.

I would guess Lloris has one of those agreements in his new contract, whereby he can leave (if we wishes) if we dont finish in the Top 4 this season or next

It is also a much more like for like replacement. Vorm is much more of a "sweeper keeper" than Friedel, and the change for the defence isn't going to be as noticable.

I don't think it makes sense in those terms at all!

If we thought that there was a good chance that Hugo will leave next summer, then we would certainly start looking around for the best possible replacement. But we wouldn't buy that replacement a year early and force him to sit on the bench. You would only ask that of a player who you know to be indisputably inferior to Lloris. And I cannot think why we would go to such lengths to bring in Hugo's replacement so early when we think so comparatively little of him. Far better to wait to see what options there would be if / as and when Lloris does decide to leave.

It is also a much more like for like replacement. Vorm is much more of a "sweeper keeper" than Friedel, and the change for the defence isn't going to be as noticable.

This is far closer to the truth, IMO. A very plausible reason as to why he would be replacing Brad.........not Hugo.

I don't think it makes sense in those terms at all!

If we thought that there was a good chance that Hugo will leave next summer, then we would certainly start looking around for the best possible replacement. But we wouldn't buy that replacement a year early and force him to sit on the bench. You would only ask that of a player who you know to be indisputably inferior to Lloris. And I cannot think why we would go to such lengths to bring in Hugo's replacement so early when we think so comparatively little of him. Far better to wait to see what options there would be if / as and when Lloris does decide to leave.

This is far closer to the truth, IMO. A very plausible reason as to why he would be replacing Brad.........not Hugo.

Alternatively we buy the replacement now knowing that when Lloris goes there won't be a keeper available at a sensible price to replace him.

Alternatively we buy the replacement now knowing that when Lloris goes there won't be a keeper available at a sensible price to replace him.

How on earth would we know that, though? There's no telling what could happen in the next twelve months.

I just don't buy it. I think people are trying to read more into this move than there is and to make it more complicated than it needs to be. I can think of no plausible reason for buying Vorm other than that he gives us very good, like for like cover for Hugo.

Vorm isn't sensibly priced though. I think I read over the weekend that £5m would be in the top 20 fees worldwide ever paid for a GK. And he's 4 years older than out #1.

Vorm isn't sensibly priced though. I think I read over the weekend that £5m would be in the top 20 fees worldwide ever paid for a GK. And he's 4 years older than out #1.

But £5m nowadays doesn't get you the little toe of some players

Vorm is a quality keeper and was only a few years back being talked about taking over at the likes United and other bigger clubs (prior to de Gea signing)

I can't fathom out why his isn't swanseas number 1 but he is up there with the better goal keepers in this league and as a number 2 would be exceptional to have in the squad

How on earth would we know that, though? There's no telling what could happen in the next twelve months.

I just don't buy it. I think people are trying to read more into this move than there is and to make it more complicated than it needs to be. I can think of no plausible reason for buying Vorm other than that he gives us very good, like for like cover for Hugo.

How would we know? Maybe, just maybe when the contract was signed a week or so ago there was a clause in there that Lloris can move on under certain circumstances and Levy and Baldini know those circumstances are likely to happen sooner rather than later so they're getting a GK in whilst we can rather than wait and be overcharged later.

I have seen fees as low as £3.5m being mentioned.

Looking at the top 10 most expensive goalkeepers here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goalkeeper_%28association_football%29#Highest_fees

£3.5-5m for Vorm seems fine to me. I think part of the reason he would be in the top 20 is the relatively low number of (high profile) goalkeeper transfers combined with the inflation in the transfer market.

But £5m nowadays doesn't get you the little toe of some players

Vorm is a quality keeper and was only a few years back being talked about taking over at the likes United and other bigger clubs (prior to de Gea signing)

I can't fathom out why his isn't swanseas number 1 but he is up there with the better goal keepers in this league and as a number 2 would be exceptional to have in the squad

All the clubs above us have cheaper and lower profile back-up keepers than that. Because of the emergency loan facility, at best it is excessive to keep 2 top GKs, but at worse it is damaging to one or both

Keepers are just cheap. We could get another Cerny or Pletikosa for nothing.

All the clubs above us have cheaper and lower profile back-up keepers than that.

Liverpool - Reina and Mignolet
Chelsea - Cech and Courtois
Emirates Marketing Project - Hart and Caballero

So not all of the ones above us, it seems like the new norm to stockpile decent goalkeepers because of the harshness of European football and to future proof their squads. Look at Real Madrid and Barca as wel, Barca has literally just bought 2 good keepers in the same windowl:

Barca - Marc-André ter Stegen and Claudio Bravo
Real Madrid - Casillas and Diego Lopez

Liverpool - Reina and Mignolet
Chelsea - Cech and Courtois
Emirates Marketing Project - Hart and Caballero

So not all of the ones above us, it seems like the new norm to stockpile decent goalkeepers because of the harshness of European football and to future proof their squads. Look at Real Madrid and Barca as wel, Barca has literally just bought 2 good keepers in the same windowl:

Barca - Marc-André ter Stegen and Claudio Bravo
Real Madrid - Casillas and Diego Lopez

Even Gooners are about to spend on a new second choice keeper (same price as Vorm it seems).

At some point very soon we'll not be able to rely on Friedel to play at the very highest level. That's hardly a secret. Which means we need a number two keeper. It's not like we'll be "stockpiling keepers", we'll have two of them - Lloris and Vorm, with Friedel moving into coaching most likely. I know goalkeepers can play for longer than others, but the guy is going to be 44 by the end of the season. If Lloris picks up an injury (GHod forbid) would we be happy with him protecting our fourth spot in the run in? I'm not sure I would be. Which is why we need a new Number 2 goalkeeper, and if Vorm is happy to play that role, then I doubt we'll find someone better.

At some point very soon we'll not be able to rely on Friedel to play at the very highest level. That's hardly a secret. Which means we need a number two keeper. It's not like we'll be "stockpiling keepers", we'll have two of them - Lloris and Vorm, with Friedel moving into coaching most likely. I know goalkeepers can play for longer than others, but the guy is going to be 44 by the end of the season. If Lloris picks up an injury (GHod forbid) would we be happy with him protecting our fourth spot in the run in? I'm not sure I would be. Which is why we need a new Number 2 goalkeeper, and if Vorm is happy to play that role, then I doubt we'll find someone better.

I meant that 2 is too many, rather than 3 (i.e. I'm less concerned about Friedel's role as #3).

Every time you have 2 who believe they should be first choice it causes trouble - Thorstvedt-Walker and even Lloris-Friedel (though both behaved very maturely) spring to mind.

For me your 2nd GK needs to be an oldy, a youngy or a lower level journeyman.

Back