• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

ITK Thread

Why have Bayern and man United gone on tour without a CF?
Clubs recognise that timing of moves is volatile and rarely if ever quick
Bayern and Man Utd are both making big bids for centre forwards. We’re not making bids for centre backs (unless you count 18 year old Ashley Phillips?)

Bayern and Man Utd are both making big bids for centre forwards. We’re not making bids for centre backs (unless you count 18 year old Ashley Phillips?)
Are we not?
Or do we not know?
Most of our business is done in much quieter circles now
I for one don’t know who we are and aren’t bidding on
We do know that Bayern have apparently made a low ball bid for Kane
We may have made some low bids for Tapsoba or VDV.. I don’t know
Until a player is signed we don’t even know if a club is serious in reality

Are we not?
Or do we not know?
Most of our business is done in much quieter circles now
I for one don’t know who we are and aren’t bidding on
We do know that Bayern have apparently made a low ball bid for Kane
We may have made some low bids for Tapsoba or VDV.. I don’t know
Until a player is signed we don’t even know if a club is serious in reality
It pretty much always leaks to the press when a bid is made (example is our bid for Ashley Phillips).

Bayern’s bid isn’t particularly ’low-ball’ either.

It pretty much always leaks to the press when a bid is made (example is our bid for Ashley Phillips).

Bayern’s bid isn’t particularly ’low-ball’ either.
In your opinion it isn’t
But I’d argue it is when everyone knows it’s not being accepted
You would jump on it negatively, like a lot of fans, if we offered a bid that’s 50% lower than what is “pubclicly” known a club would accept

Last edited:
Think this has to be the right approach if Kane leaves

I don't like it much. Richarlison scores, at best, 1 in 3. That's 10-15 goals a season so I'm guessing the whole thing relies on Postecoglou's system allowing other players to score lots of goal. Not sure that will happen though. Perisic used to have a decent record for a winger (1 in 4, at a guess) but he's getting on. That means a lot of pressure on Son, who hasn't been an upward curve recently. We'll see in a few months if the gamble pays off but considering out backline has been nothing short of a disaster and, so far, we haven't improved on it, it's either a lack of ambition or a lot of faith in the manager.

I don't like it much. Richarlison scores, at best, 1 in 3. That's 10-15 goals a season so I'm guessing the whole thing relies on Postecoglou's system allowing other players to score lots of goal. Not sure that will happen though. Perisic used to have a decent record for a winger (1 in 4, at a guess) but he's getting on. That means a lot of pressure on Son, who hasn't been an upward curve recently. We'll see in a few months if the gamble pays off but considering out backline has been nothing short of a disaster and, so far, we haven't improved on it, it's either a lack of ambition or a lot of faith in the manager.
Your forgetting Maddison, the other number 8, kulu too
And goals from other players
The team because of the system can and will score a lot of goals
Kane imo would hinder it because he doesn’t play as the last man anymore

Your forgetting Maddison, the other number 8, kulu too
And goals from other players
The team because of the system can and will score a lot of goals
Kane imo would hinder it because he doesn’t play as the last man anymore

I agree with your sentiment that Kane would have a hard time fitting in. Plus, I think he wants to work with big-name coaches: he was quite pleased with Mourinho apparently and nothing I read led me to think he didn't get on with Conte. It's very sad, but selling him is the right decision, I think.

What I'm questioning is the idea to go into the season with Richarlison as our main striker and, I suppose, Son as back up. If the system works as intended, we might score a few but we will also leak in more goals than we did in a defensive system, particularly if we go into the season with the same players we had last term. Kulusevski score what, 9 goals at Juve? Maddison is probably going to score 8-10 goals too. That's a good ratio for a midfielder but I think having an average goalscorer like Richarlison as our main attacking outlet is playing with fire: if Postecoglou's system works the way it's meant to, great. Everybody's happy. If it doesn't... that's another matter. I'd feel more confident with a guy who regularly hit the 20-goal mark so, if it were down to me, I'd use part of Kane's money to sign another forward.

Richarlison is ok as a wide forward but I find him wasteful in front of goal. Just my opinion though.

I agree with your sentiment that Kane would have a hard time fitting in. Plus, I think he wants to work with big-name coaches: he was quite pleased with Mourinho apparently and nothing I read led me to think he didn't get on with Conte. It's very sad, but selling him is the right decision, I think.

What I'm questioning is the idea to go into the season with Richarlison as our main striker and, I suppose, Son as back up. If the system works as intended, we might score a few but we will also leak in more goals than we did in a defensive system, particularly if we go into the season with the same players we had last term. Kulusevski score what, 9 goals at Juve? Maddison is probably going to score 8-10 goals too. That's a good ratio for a midfielder but I think having an average goalscorer like Richarlison as our main attacking outlet is playing with fire: if Postecoglou's system works the way it's meant to, great. Everybody's happy. If it doesn't... that's another matter. I'd feel more confident with a guy who regularly hit the 20-goal mark so, if it were down to me, I'd use part of Kane's money to sign another forward.

Richarlison is ok as a wide forward but I find him wasteful in front of goal. Just my opinion though.
We will concede less on this system as as we will be playing in the opposition half more
We also don’t have Hugo in goal who cost us so badly so many times last season
I do have reservations around richralison but he will get so many chances I can’t see him not scoring a lot of goals.
I can see us buying a CF. I think we will move quickly on that once Kane goes
I also am so sure we will buy 2 cbs
The whole transfer saga isn’t really starting yet. We see our own teams stuff and don’t really get the bigger picture
Chelsea have just brought 2 players in 2 days and at least one of them has come from nowhere as a signing
Now we’re back I expect things to happen

If the situation was reversed and we were making a 60m- 70m bid for Kane you and other Levy hating individuals would be throwing a proper shïtstorm saying Levy is being tight

If the situation was reversed and we were making a 60m- 70m bid for Kane you and other Levy hating individuals would be throwing a proper shïtstorm saying Levy is being tight
That’s my issue
Our fans always have double standards, even sensible ones
not One fan doesn’t want us to sign the best players we can
But so many judge in the fee rather than the potential output
Chelsea have just spent £40m on a reserve, who apparently united wanted as a starter…
How does that work in football economics?

What I'm questioning is the idea to go into the season with Richarlison as our main striker and, I suppose, Son as back up.

I think Richarlison would get >20 as our first choice number 9 in the sort of system we’ll play. Sign a young CF in his early 20s as the understudy

I think that spending 50m-60m on a say 25 year old would be a waste, partly as we need to spend the cash at CB and partly as we then have to put him or Rixhy on the bench

I think Richarlison would get >20 as our first choice number 9 in the sort of system we’ll play. Sign a young CF in his early 20s as the understudy

I think that spending 50m-60m on a say 25 year old would be a waste, partly as we need to spend the cash at CB and partly as we then have to put him or Rixhy on the bench

You're all incredibly confident in Postecoglou's system, I see! Which is cool, by the way, I wish I were, too. I've got no opinion whatsoever: I've never seen his teams play, bar for a couple of Australia games when he was their manager.

I'm just going to point out that he never got that kind of stats anywhere he's played but maybe Postecoglou will turn him into a different player. I'd feel more confident with a proven goalscorer and Richarlison wide but I'm happy to be proved wrong, of course. Same thing for @Bedfordspurs' comments that we will concede less: that remains to be seen because a higher line usually mean less chances for the opposition but with a higher goal percentage (that seems to be the case in the first couple of friendlies but I haven't actually seen the games, so...). Not sure the defenders we have are well-suited to that system too but, again, I guess we'll find out over the next few weeks.

To get back to Richarlison, he scored 1 goal in 27 games last season. If, for whatever reason, he can't do a lot better this term, it will be a very long season. EDIT: I checked and his stats with Brazil are much better: 6 goals in 8 games last season and 20 in 44 overall. So maybe there's a decent striker in him after all (or international football stats are meaningless).

You're all incredibly confident in Postecoglou's system, I see! Which is cool, by the way, I wish I were, too. I've got no opinion whatsoever: I've never seen his teams play, bar for a couple of Australia games when he was their manager.

I'm just going to point out that he never got that kind of stats anywhere he's played but maybe Postecoglou will turn him into a different player. I'd feel more confident with a proven goalscorer and Richarlison wide but I'm happy to be proved wrong, of course. Same thing for @Bedfordspurs' comments that we will concede less: that remains to be seen because a higher line usually mean less chances for the opposition but with a higher goal percentage (that seems to be the case in the first couple of friendlies but I haven't actually seen the games, so...). Not sure the defenders we have are well-suited to that system too but, again, I guess we'll find out over the next few weeks.

To get back to Richarlison, he scored 1 goal in 27 games last season. If, for whatever reason, he can't do a lot better this term, it will be a very long season. EDIT: I checked and his stats with Brazil are much better: 6 goals in 8 games last season and 20 in 44 overall. So maybe there's a decent striker in him after all (or international football stats are meaningless).

I think his stats last season are a bit misleading. He didn’t ever get a run in the team and when he did play he was sometimes playing RW. I expect a number of those 27 appearances were also off the bench or starting but then coming off after an hour

Our current CBS don’t suit the system
The ones we will have for the start of the season will
But… like all new teams we will have bumps in the road
Our fans need to patient and that’s not a spurs thing

I think his stats last season are a bit misleading. He didn’t ever get a run in the team and when he did play he was sometimes playing RW. I expect a number of those 27 appearances were also off the bench or starting but then coming off after an hour

Completely agree although, when he did start, he showed a lot of energy but the end product suffered as a result. I was quite impressed with his defensive work, I didn't think he had that in him. But the finishing... the less said, the better. Strikers often run on confidence. A player who's used to hitting 20 goals or more each season will find it easier to put things in perspective. If Richarlison fires blank in the first few games, he might find it harder to get back on track. I've got nothing against the guy, of course, but he score 52 in 153 games at Everton and 19 in 67 at Fluminense - that's not particularly impressive.

Of course, you could reverse the argument: if he does well in the first few games, he might smash the 20-goal target.

Completely agree although, when he did start, he showed a lot of energy but the end product suffered as a result. I was quite impressed with his defensive work, I didn't think he had that in him. But the finishing... the less said, the better. Strikers often run on confidence. A player who's used to hitting 20 goals or more each season will find it easier to put things in perspective. If Richarlison fires blank in the first few games, he might find it harder to get back on track. I've got nothing against the guy, of course, but he score 52 in 153 games at Everton and 19 in 67 at Fluminense - that's not particularly impressive.

Of course, you could reverse the argument: if he does well in the first few games, he might smash the 20-goal target.
All fair and reasonable
My only add on is that at Everton and Fluminese he was okaying left wide forward, not CF
He hasn’t played CF much at all

If Richarlson comes in and scores 15 +/- as a Kane replacement, with the team being more of an attacking threat in general under Ange, then with Son Maddison & Kulu also in the team there's potential for them to help share the shortfall of goals around (at least wrt last seasons goals) Obviously a more attacking team with Kane in it would be preferable/better, but without him around I'm not sure you could guarantee any CF could get any meaningful amount of goals (Nunez a top level striker signings for a rival struggled last seson for example) and with us investing in Richarlson already i think you need to give him the season to see if you can make it work.

If Richarlson comes in and scores 15 +/- as a Kane replacement, with the team being more of an attacking threat in general under Ange, then with Son Maddison & Kulu also in the team there's potential for them to help share the shortfall of goals around (at least wrt last seasons goals) Obviously a more attacking team with Kane in it would be preferable/better, but without him around I'm not sure you could guarantee any CF could get any meaningful amount of goals (Nunez a top level striker signings for a rival struggled last seson for example) and with us investing in Richarlson already i think you need to give him the season to see if you can make it work.

We saw how effective Richarlison was in that role for Brazil during the WC, when he had Neymar, Vinicius and Raphinha buzzing behind him. I think it was the Korea game in particular where it was poetry to watch.

I just worry about the number of injuries he had last year if we are to rely on him. I think a talented young up-and-comer who can play across the line, with Son, and I’d take that, as long as we get the quality we need in at the back.

Back