• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

iPhone 5 - to be announced today

It worked on my dad's card very well on Friday in M&S, and I've used it other times. Were you spending over £20?

Why was it not an objective test? Assuming we're talking about the same video it seemed like a decent test to me. obviously it was a small data set of one phone each but other than that it seemed a fair comparison to me.

If it was the android authority one, then here's my reasoning for why it wasn't a good objective test.

Dropping from variable heights aside (an inch here or there probably doesn't matter), but there was no control over which part of the phone landed on the ground. Sometimes the phone would fall directly on a corner, and other times it would drop right on the face of the glass. Ideally, the phones would be dropped in a manner such that they would both hit the ground at the same angle, and new phones ideally would be used between each drop test. Existing damage from any previous fall (especially if there were no visible signs) would only be exacerbated by falls from higher up. Even the type of pavement you drop it on (smooth surface vs. cobblestone/tiles) will affect how the forces get applied to the part of the phone being dropped.

I'm not saying it was a biased test, but I'd prefer to see a phone being put to its limits in a more controlled setting.

That would benefit such a small amount of people. That's not how Apple works.

You don't think every single person on the planet wouldn't be projecting movies and episodes of TV program's onto the wall next time they're bored in a hotel?

No I really don't. I don't have any movies on my iPhone.

I use SkyGo and Netflix on mine all the time and always have a couple movies or tv shows ready for the plane as I fly Easyjet quite a lot. I think you'd be surprised by the amount of mobile users using on demand content.

Now instead of fudging around with cables you could just plug in a couple X-Mini speakers and beam it onto the wall. Bloody excellent news that would be.

I use SkyGo and Netflix on mine all the time and always have a couple movies or tv shows ready for the plane as I fly Easyjet quite a lot. I think you'd be surprised by the amount of mobile users using on demand content.

Now instead of fudging around with cables you could just plug in a couple X-Mini speakers and beam it onto the wall. Bloody excellent news that would be.

Would be more useful on iPad I reckon. And even then, I really cannot see a demand for it at all. A nice feature, sure, but not something necessary.

Just ordered my IPhone 5.
Never had an IPhone before, so hopefully it is as good as everyone says...

Was in the same boat, but I've been won over. I do miss some aspects of Android, but my Droid was so unresponsive and slow. And 3G has got nothing on 4G LTE.

Would be more useful on iPad I reckon. And even then, I really cannot see a demand for it at all. A nice feature, sure, but not something necessary.

Why would a projector be more useful on a 10" hd screen than on a 4" one :s

I'd love the projector integration to take off, there was a Ted speech a few years ago where someone had created software to turn any flat surface into a touchscreen using a Webcam and projector and released it as open source, can't believe no one has taken advantage of that yet.

Why would a projector be more useful on a 10" hd screen than on a 4" one :s

I'd love the projector integration to take off, there was a Ted speech a few years ago where someone had created software to turn any flat surface into a touchscreen using a Webcam and projector and released it as open source, can't believe no one has taken advantage of that yet.

Because people store more of that content on an iPad and it is so much easier to create a Keynote presentation on an iPad than iPhone.

I'm more in favour of things using AirPlay than a projector. Obviously, at this point that involves an Apple TV and a TV, but I'd rather they pushed that to be used in other ways.

Because people store more of that content on an iPad and it is so much easier to create a Keynote presentation on an iPad than iPhone.

I'm more in favour of things using AirPlay than a projector. Obviously, at this point that involves an Apple TV and a TV, but I'd rather they pushed that to be used in other ways.

OK, well. A ten inch screen is arguably big enough that a projector becomes superfluous in some situations. In terms of presenting then it becomes a good tool as I take my laptop with me for presentations where I'm going to plug into a projector and I take my Touchpad if I'm only handling one or two people. Being able to take a tablet and turning to projector if there're more people than expected would be good.

However, who seriously makes serious presentations on a tablet? I wouldn't dream of it, I use the laptop and then move it across. As for Airplay, not sold in the slightest. Apple TV? I get all of that through the media devices I own already, I don't need Apple's expensive little box.

OK, well. A ten inch screen is arguably big enough that a projector becomes superfluous in some situations. In terms of presenting then it becomes a good tool as I take my laptop with me for presentations where I'm going to plug into a projector and I take my Touchpad if I'm only handling one or two people. Being able to take a tablet and turning to projector if there're more people than expected would be good.

However, who seriously makes serious presentations on a tablet? I wouldn't dream of it, I use the laptop and then move it across. As for Airplay, not sold in the slightest. Apple TV? I get all of that through the media devices I own already, I don't need Apple's expensive little box.

You're right about the first paragraph, and that's basically my point. I don't think a projector is a necessary addition to either a phone or a tablet.

I've never made a presentation on my iPad but I have transferred one to my iPad to deliver. It's handy for touching up and things.

And your last point is correct too, and that's what I said. AirPlay is not realistic at this point because you need an AppleTV. Hopefully they address that somehow in the future. I don't know how.

What I'm saying is...a projector would add pointless bloat to a phone. It would be used by such a small proportion of people, who could be served by a feature that already exists.

With cloud streaming and storage is that much of an issue though? Personally I'd love to carry around a phone knowing that at any point i just need to find a wall and be able to stream from iPlayer/4od/ITV player/netflix/lovefilm/youtube/SkyGo/play or apple store etc onto a 50" projected screen.It's not mainstream yet but I can't see why it wouldn't take off if it was - the majority of phones are used as entertainment devices nowadays so it makes perfect sense.

As for presentations, you could save a presentation to the cloud from your pc/mac and be able to instantly stream it from your phone - how would that not be advantageous?

With cloud streaming and storage is that much of an issue though? Personally I'd love to carry around a phone knowing that at any point i just need to find a wall and be able to stream from iPlayer/4od/ITV player/netflix/lovefilm/youtube/SkyGo/play or apple store etc onto a 50" projected screen.It's not mainstream yet but I can't see why it wouldn't take off if it was - the majority of phones are used as entertainment devices nowadays so it makes perfect sense.

As for presentations, you could save a presentation to the cloud from your pc/mac and be able to instantly stream it from your phone - how would that not be advantageous?

Good point about the cloud. But I still struggle to believe this would be something used by enough people. How about audio? The speaker is pretty brick in an iPhone, you'd need to do something with that.

How fat is all this going to make the iPhone?

Good point about the cloud. But I still struggle to believe this would be something used by enough people. How about audio? The speaker is pretty brick in an iPhone, you'd need to do something with that.

How fat is all this going to make the iPhone?

It really isn't going to bloat the device out really, look at the Galaxy Beam
samsung-galaxy-beam-projector-phone-0.jpg

As for the Audio, I agree, but that's why I mentioned the X-Mini speakers. £15 - £25 each and you can slave as many together as you like. I've had a lot of protable speakers over the years and these things are not only the smallest/lightest, but the best sound wise as well, they're awesome!

xmini2_500x375.jpg

It isn't going to bloat the device much at all, not from the users point of view. And I completely disagree with you about usage. When the original iPad came out, barely anybody could figure out why you would need one... Just about everyone I know now has a tablet of some description as well as a smart phone and laptop now. Put the technology on and people will use it.

The problem with projectors in mobile devices is that they're not powerful enough. They could probably only be used effectively in a pitch-black setting, which will be pretty rare in most offices during working hours. For now, it's just a gimmick. As for audio, you could always hook up into any set of standard computer speakers.

The problem with projectors in mobile devices is that they're not powerful enough. They could probably only be used effectively in a pitch-black setting, which will be pretty rare in most offices during working hours. For now, it's just a gimmick. As for audio, you could always hook up into any set of standard computer speakers.

Most rooms you present in you can get the lights down well enough I reckon. It'll be interesting to see, you're never going to present to a room of hundreds off one but for half a dozen people I reckon it would work.

Back