• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

iPhone 5 - to be announced today

samsung-adapter.png

To be honest, I don't know why they connector being changed is even a contentious point.

The contentious point for me is how come Apple dont obey by EU law and have a micro USB charging port? Do they get fined for it?

Guess the fuss is because loads of people have docks etc and now they have been shafted, also a bit of a shaft to those third party companies making the stereos with docks etc especially as the accessories have helped drive the growth of the iPhone. Guess on the flipside these companies have also made a nice bit of wedge out of it.

The contentious point for me is how come Apple dont obey by EU law and have a micro USB charging port? Do they get fined for it?

Guess the fuss is because loads of people have docks etc and now they have been shafted, also a bit of a shaft to those third party companies making the stereos with docks etc especially as the accessories have helped drive the growth of the iPhone. Guess on the flipside these companies have also made a nice bit of wedge out of it.

They manage to accommodate EU law by making adaptors compatible with Micro USB

What are people arguing about? The software or hardware? Or the complete package?

Dont forget that ios6 upgrades all the iphone 4 and 4s handsets so get alot of the features.

I had an 3gs, got a galaxy s2 and regretted it after a week and got a iphone 4s and love it. A few mates have the G3, yeah its good but its all superficial brick that i would never use. I found the s2 a pain in the arse to do simple things with.

What that is a complete tinkletake especially when they probably charge £20 for them

This all the way. It does suck that they have a proprietary connector, but they can get away with charging that much for obvious reasons. Capitalism at work!

You get an adapter with the new iPhone. How is this any different from the dock connector they've used for the last 9 years?

You get an adapter with the new iPhone. How is this any different from the dock connector they've used for the last 9 years?

to clear up any confusion, there will be an adapter to USB, but not to the old style connector. it's an extra £25 if you want to make the new iphone work with anything you have with the old connector.

"The Lightning to 30-pin adapter does not come in the box with iPhone 5," reads the statement Apple sent to Engadget. "It is sold separately. However, the Lightning to USB cable does come with iPhone 5 for connection to AC chargers and other devices… The Lightning to 30-pin adapter supports analogue audio output, USB audio, as well as syncing and charging. Lightning to VGA and Lightning to HDMI cables will be available in the coming months."

anyone would think apple were in it to make money

also, whats most tinkled me off about this launch is the whining from people complaining about the contract THEY SIGNED 12 months ago which the carriers won't let them re-negotiate

to clear up any confusion, there will be an adapter to USB, but not to the old style connector. it's an extra £25 if you want to make the new iphone work with anything you have with the old connector.

"The Lightning to 30-pin adapter does not come in the box with iPhone 5," reads the statement Apple sent to Engadget. "It is sold separately. However, the Lightning to USB cable does come with iPhone 5 for connection to AC chargers and other devices… The Lightning to 30-pin adapter supports analogue audio output, USB audio, as well as syncing and charging. Lightning to VGA and Lightning to HDMI cables will be available in the coming months."

Yeah, again...so? Why should they give it away? It's not a necessary adapter. You get the cable you need to connect it to your computer. If you have an old speaker system then you obviously have an old phone - just use that as a dedicated music device.

It's a new feature - if it doesn't suit you, don't buy it.

Yeah, again...so? Why should they give it away? It's not a necessary adapter. You get the cable you need to connect it to your computer. If you have an old speaker system then you obviously have an old phone - just use that as a dedicated music device.

It's a new feature - if it doesn't suit you, don't buy it.

why so defensive? i wasn't saying they should. it was information for anybody considering buying an apple, thinking from your message, that they were getting an adaptor with it!

Last edited:
So will my new iPhone be ready to collect on Friday or will it be delayed? Any news of delays?

Apple normally send their stuff out early with instructions to only deliver on release day, if you pre-ordered through them you should have it on Friday, if through a carrier etc maybe a few days after.

why so defensive? i wasn't saying they should. it was information for anybody considering buying an apple, thinking from your message, that they were getting an adaptor with it!

Right, sorry! Wasn't meaning to sound defensive, it was late at night :)

iOS6 comes out today. Pretty excited for it.

Factory in "not situated inside 5 star hotel" shocker.

And will people please cut the bullsh1t about the suicides at the factory. The Foxconn factory employs 400,000 people and 10-15 (depending on your source) committed suicide. The suicide rate in China is 15-23 (depending on source) per 100,000 people, making the suicide rate very low in the factory.

In fact, the suicide rate in the Foxconn factory is about half that of the UK, a third of Australia's and less than a quarter of that of the Finnish.

I'm sure the plants that manufacture other phones are not the greatest either, but Foxconn is especially bad due to the high volume of phones they need to manufacture.

Scara, I don't know if you've ever worked on an assembly line but I can tell you first-hand that it's not easy work. And that's in America.
I won't talk about the suicides much since I think that's a valid point, but I think it's important to look at attempted suicides. Additionally, it's not like suicide is a reliable measure of worker welfare.

Of course, I don't think workers are expecting to be put up in a dormitory with a jacuzzi and 50" TVs, but we all know conditions in developing economies are sub-par compared to the first-world. To think there is no human cost (not necessarily in lives) to any mass-manufactured electronic device is naive.

according to wikipedia this is the list of companies who foxconn manufacture for

Acer Inc. (Taiwan)[40]
Amazon.com (United States)[7]
Apple Inc. (United States)[41]
Cisco (United States)[42]
Dell (United States)[43]
Hewlett-Packard (United States)[44]
Intel (United States)[45]
Microsoft (United States)[9]
Motorola Mobility (United States)[43]
Nintendo (Japan)[46]
Nokia (Finland)[41]
Samsung Electronics (South Korea)[47]
Sony (Japan)[8]
Toshiba (Japan) [48]
Vizio (United States)[49]

yet only one of those companies get's bad press for the conditions of it's workforce

Back