• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

inverted wingers/wide players

I heard a rumour that BAE told AVB that if he wasn't going to play him he didn't see the need to train.

Don't know if true or not, but would explain a few things.

Only Baines, Evra and Cole spring to mind in the Premier League. I wonder how much better Coentrao would've made our left flank if we'd managed to sign him... :-k

What about Luke Shaw, Ben Davies and Liverpools Enrique.?

The problem is really there are very few great attacking full backs out there. AVB may well dream of a day when we play like we have a Roberto Carlos and a Cafu, but in reality we have a Walker and a Rose!

There are quite a few very good attacking full backs out there, the problem is finding a full back that can attack and defend.

You don't need a great attacking full back (by my definition of great) to play successfully with inverted wingers, you do need good attacking full backs.

If, instead of getting width from our full backs we want to get width from wingers who would you say are great wingers that we could sign. Your definition of great, the same one you used for full backs.

This whole reliance on the full-backs for attacking makes the decision to send BAE out on loan even more ridiculous.

Not really, bae isn't the type to run down the wing and provide the width. He sits deep and throws in crosses, which wouldn't have stretched the oppositions back line.

A bit like naughton on the right, though bae is better at it. Neither of them will provide what we want.

Not really, bae isn't the type to run down the wing and provide the width. He sits deep and throws in crosses, which wouldn't have stretched the oppositions back line.

A bit like naughton on the right, though bae is better at it. Neither of them will provide what we want.

He would have provided a hell of a lot more balance than what we currently have though surely? Being left-footed is a start.

Twitter / guardian_sport: Tactics review: Spurs need more width and Loïc Rémy was the player of the weekend [url]http://gu.com/p/3jbnj/tw [/URL]
...Wide midfielders playing on opposite flanks – left-footed Andros Townsend on the right and right-footed Gylfi Sigurdsson on the left – have been a feature of this Tottenham team. That tactic narrows the midfield and congests attacking areas, which suits sides such as West Ham, who can stifle Spurs by leaving no space in behind.

Time and again, one of the wingers would get the ball in an inside-forward position and either cut inside to shoot or cut back on to their stronger foot after an unconvincing attempt to go down the line. It speaks volumes that both Townsend and Sigurdsson have had over three times as many shots per Premier League game this season (4.3 and 2.3, respectively) as they have completed crosses (both 0.7); and neither has made a single assist.

This lack of service has not helped Soldado settle. Nearly a third of his 24 goals at Valencia last season were scored from crosses, with all seven coming from right-footed players crossing from the right or left-footed players crossing from the left. When Tottenham's players cut back before putting a ball into the box it creates a delay that is more difficult to anticipate for centre-forwards. Soldado's dearth of goals is no coincidence.

So far this season, Tottenham's Plan A has been just about sufficient, but a Plan B is needed if they are going to overcome their recent failings and finally make that mooted title challenge a reality.

What about Luke Shaw, Ben Davies and Liverpools Enrique.?

All good left backs too, which makes 6 Premier League teams with superior options in that position than us.

Last edited:
in any case, inverted wingers are still part of a team - its how you link them up with the others that decides how they can contribute to the overall performance.

in any case, inverted wingers are still part of a team - its how you link them up with the others that decides how they can contribute to the overall performance.

goes without saying though

the question is can AVB do it? Can lamela, chadli and solly adapt to get thi s done for us

goes without saying though

the question is can AVB do it? Can lamela, chadli and solly adapt to get thi s done for us

I don't think that they are struggling to adapt to playing as inverted wingers (or with in Soldado's case). It is pretty much standard practise now and all of them will have played in teams with inverted wingers before. I think that they are just taking a little time to settle into the league but that shouldn't be entirely unexpected.

What sort of line up did Valencia field- was Soldao the front man of a 3?

Lamela played inverted on the right and Chadli the left in a 3 (from what i gather) which would suggest they should be comfortable playing that way

i think our big issue is having too many players too far forwards, forcing the other teams line back.
instead we should trying to lure the defenders out of position one by one systematically, waiting to exploit the space that opens up.

when done right you will see the opponents defensive line ebb and flow - that's what you want to catch the odd defender flat footed, not when he is chainlinked with the rest of the back four.

so inverted/wide players is immaterial, we need to work on our movement in front of the box. if there's space in the centre, it can be exploited by both wide and inverted players

What sort of line up did Valencia field- was Soldao the front man of a 3?

Lamela played inverted on the right and Chadli the left in a 3 (from what i gather) which would suggest they should be comfortable playing that way

in a possession based game though?

plus , its not easy to say any of that without factoring the people they played with.

i think our big issue is having too many players too far forwards, forcing the other teams line back.
instead we should trying to lure the defenders out of position one by one systematically, waiting to exploit the space that opens up.

when done right you will see the opponents defensive line ebb and flow - that's what you want to catch the odd defender flat footed, not when he is chainlinked with the rest of the back four.

so inverted/wide players is immaterial, we need to work on our movement in front of the box. if there's space in the centre, it can be exploited by both wide and inverted players

I believe that AVB has spoken quite a lot in the past about forwards (and inside forwards, attacking midfielders, number tens, false nines, wingers, inverted wingers...) dropping deeper to draw out opponents.

I don't think anyone would argue that inverted wingers (depending on your definition of the term) is a bad idea in and of itself. Problem is that none of the 'inverted wingers' that have been starting PL games for us are naturally creative passers. Siggy, Chadli and (particularly) Townsend are all much more likely to shoot than pass, and Lennon can barely even do that.

Plus Walker and Naughton at left-back aren't effective in terms of any sort of final product from wide positions.

ive made my views known on the inverted wide men.

inverted or not, none of our wide men look like providing enough goals or even being able to assist the likes of Soldado

We play a possession based game

thats my point.

lamela has actually been assessed to be poor in a possession based slow tempo type game. some guy who knows an infinite amount more than we do about lamela did pretty much broke it down

chaldi? no idea but you would think that he is used to people that are technically better , playing with more space and that are able to move the ball around quicker

Back