• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Ingerlund

5 Yids for Russia. Meanwhile - RIP Ray Wilson https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44140722

England announce 23-man World Cup squad - why so few defenders?

Goalkeepers: Jack Butland, Jordan Pickford, Nick Pope.

Defenders: Trent Alexander-Arnold, Gary Cahill, Fabian Delph, Phil Jones, Harry Maguire, Danny Rose, John Stones, Kieran Trippier, Kyle Walker, Ashley Young.

Midfielders: Dele Alli, Eric Dier, Jordan Henderson, Jesse Lingard, Ruben Loftus-Cheek.

Forwards: Harry Kane, Marcus Rashford, Raheem Sterling, Jamie Vardy, Danny Welbeck.

Defenders: Trent Alexander-Arnold, Gary Cahill, Fabian Delph, Phil Jones, Harry Maguire, Danny Rose, John Stones, Kieran Trippier, Kyle Walker, Ashley Young.

Midfielders: Dele Alli, Eric Dier, Jordan Henderson, Jesse Lingard, Ruben Loftus-Cheek.

Forwards: Harry Kane, Marcus Rashford, Raheem Sterling, Jamie Vardy, Danny Welbeck.

Stand-by: Tom Heaton, James Tarkowski, Lewis Cook, Jake Livemore and Adam Lallana.

England manager Gareth Southgate on his England squad:

“I believe this is a squad which we can be excited about,“ he said.

“It is a young group, but with some really important senior players so I feel the balance of the squad is good, both in terms of its experience, its character and also the positional balance.

“We have a lot of energy and athleticism in the team, but players that are equally comfortable in possession of the ball and I think people can see the style of play we’ve been looking to develop.

“The selection process has been over months really, it’s not just been the last few weeks. We feel the team are improving and we want to continue that momentum."

Id have no place for Welbeck or Cahill for sure, and probably Henderen and Jones as well.

That said, it looks like a squad actually based on form and balance, rather than sky4 brand awareness.

I dont like it entirely, but its probably the best selection Ive seen in a long time on that basis.

Given the reporting over the last couple of days the biggest surprise is the return of Cahill. All the other additions (Pope, Alexander-Arnold, Delph) and deletions (Hart, Wheelchair) had been widely predicted.

5 Yids for Russia. Meanwhile - RIP Ray Wilson https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44140722

England announce 23-man World Cup squad - why so few defenders?

bottom+of+the+barrel.JPG

Given the reporting over the last couple of days the biggest surprise is the return of Cahill. All the other additions (Pope, Alexander-Arnold, Delph) and deletions (Hart, Wheelchair) had been widely predicted.

I can only assume Cahill is in there as an experienced head. Been to tournaments before, club captain, won titles... Maybe the intent is that he is a good influence.

Jones and Hendersen I just think are pretty crap, and cant understand their inclusion. Especially Jones with how well Tarkowski has done this year.

Welbeck? Well, I cant even imagine what he is thinking there.

You could be right about Cahill, especially after deciding against Hart for the experienced player. I hope Southgate doesn't lose faith and tries to shoe-horn him into the starting XI.

I agree I would have liked Tarkowski in over Jones (or Cahill), but who to pick ahead over Henderson and Welbeck?

Who misses out?

Goalkeepers: Joe Hart.

Defenders: Alfie Mawson (injured), Jamaal Lascelles, Michael Keane, Chris Smalling, Ryan Bertrand, Luke Shaw, Joe Gomez (injured).

Midfielders: Jonjo Shelvey, Michail Antonio, Jack Wheelchair, Ryan Sessegnon, Jack Cork.

Forwards: Theo Walcott, Tammy Abraham.

Genuinely would have had Lascelles and Keane ahead of Cahill and Jones.

Sessegnon over Welbeck. Abraham over Welbeck. Even Walcott.

Shelvey or Cork ahead of Hendersen.

Southgate is a good guy and the right man for the job.

I'm getting that in early before I slag him off this afternoon for including Delph/Welbeck/Young/Cahill/Jones/Smalling/Livermore/Shelvy/Lingard (delete as appropriate)

Wow, Southgate is a muppet...

Cahill over Tarkowski is insane
Jones over Mee or Lascalles is insane
Delph over Cook is insane
Welbeck over Lallana is insane

Looks like the sponsors pulled ranks and made us take a token crap Chelsea/United/City/Arsenal player each

Quite happy with that squad.

Mixture of old heads and new.

Cahill for Mawson maybe?

That’s about it

Welbeck is a decent player when fit, plus can play 2/3 positions.

Wow, Southgate is a muppet...

Cahill over Tarkowski is insane
Jones over Mee or Lascalles is insane
Delph over Cook is insane
Welbeck over Lallana is insane

Looks like the sponsors pulled ranks and made us take a token crap Chelsea/United/City/Arsenal player each

Cahill experienced
Jones experienced
Delph playing for the league winners although I like Cook.
Welbeck slightly fitter than Lallana ATM. I think/hope Lallana will get called up in the end, but simply hasn't played enough.

Southgate may well be a masochist but he's not a "muppet".
Managing England is a thankless task with the extreme tribalism in the English game these days. Where its deemed by some folk trendy for so called football fans to just continually grumble about the national side.

Last edited:
Back