• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

If you were able to go back in time and change one thing about Spurs...

When he was at Dundee he wanted to go to Rangers and Rangers put in a big bid for him, however Dundee would not sell to Rangers so he came here at a lower price. Gough wanted to go back and sign for Rangers which was always the plan, pity really because he was a good CB and he made Mabbutt play his best ever season for us.
always wondered what had happened. Had heard a more salacious rumour, about some inaccurately executed wife/bird based game of hide the sausage...

Continue playing with wingers and pace, and not doing everything unwatchable slowly and predictably - all down the middle....:mad:

Yup, the move that introduced the word 'turgid' to these forums. I loved our fast attacking play, that was a big part of what made us dangerous. Let's hope that with the signing of N'jie & Berahino linked, that we are seeking a return to at least steps nearer those days.

Appointing AVB, signing Adebayor when we all knew what to expect in the long term, giving too much game time to players like Nethercott & Johnnie Jackson in the past. Not signing players quickly, instead just faffing about & signing car boot sale equivalents, like Frasier Campbell on loan & then struggling.

All those are regrets, so spin them around & you'll see what I wish for.

That we didn't get sucked in by Adebayor
That we learned AVB can't cut it in this league, learning from Chelsea.
That we didnt buy cheap car boot sale style players that ultimately just set us back
That we didn't play players who were so painfully useless

That we didn't have Baldini design our post bale transfer policy. That we took our time with spending the money and didn't sign anybody other than Erikson that summer.

The whole Sugar Venables fall out, the team that was being built then under the Livermore/Clemence set up with Venables overseeing things was going somewhere.

Far too many to mention, but thinking about it, if I could go back in time I'd go into the foreign office circa-2003 and deny a certain Mr Abramovic a visa to enter the UK. Or at the very least, divert his helicopter away from Stamford Bridge after flying away from having his offer to buy Spurs rejected. Then Chelsea would have crumbled under debt and become the next Leeds United.

Why would that have made such a difference to us? We have finished 5th, behind Chelsea, in five seasons since, and also lost a Champions League spot to them in 2012. Now even putting aside the fact that they've gazumped us by at the last minute with ridiculous wage offers for players like Mata, Oscar, Hazard, Willian etc over the past few years, there's very good reason to believe that, had Chelsea crumbled in 2003 like they deserved to after years of Captain Birdseye overspending, we'd have established ourselves as Champions League regulars. Not having CL football meant we lost Carrick just as we signed Berbatov, we lost Berbatov just as we signed Modric, we lost Modric just as we signed Lloris, we lost Bale just as we signed Eriksen etc. I also think that, had Roman not done it first, we wouldn't have seen first Thaksin and then the Sheik pump money into Emirates Marketing Project. And after years of biding our time, waiting for one of the established "big four" to drop out, when Liverpool finally did fall to pieces then it was City who wrestled in ahead of us to take their place.

We've had some fantastic players over the past decade, imagine if we'd been able to keep them together and add to them with the quality that CL football and money could bring.

Or if we're going for an on the pitch moment - somebody should have taken out Henry just before he equalised in the last NLD at Highbury. Not only would we have ceremoniously ended their old stadium, as well as the Arsenal careers of Campbell, Pires and Ljungberg, but it would have made the lasagne-gate irrelevant as we qualified for CL ahead of them. Regardless of what they may say now, they had absolutely not considered the possibility of failure to qualify for CL that year and given the debts they were in and the years of austerity that were to follow, they would have had to sell Henry in order to stay afloat. We'd have got to see Carrick and Berbatov playing together in the Champions League for us too...

Personal one this... I'd go back to 1987 and make sure we held onto Hoddle for another 4 seasons.

Not saying it would have changed our fortunes at the time or make us any different now... but it would have meant I'd have been 20 when he left and better able to cope with it... instead of getting my poor lickle 16-year old heart shattered like I did that year.

Back