• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

If you were able to go back in time and change one thing about Spurs...

Gazzasrightboot

Pascal Chimbonda
what would it be? I'd be intrigued to know when my fellow posters think we "missed the boat" on being truly amongst the elite.

In my mind I would have changed the early Sugar years after that first season with Ossie. Sugar had given Ossie the stars of that world cup, and with just a little more perseverance and signing Bergkamp after Klinsmann or even keeping Klinsmann could have been the difference for us. The rest they say is history, but I do think that Sugar himself would probably do things a lot differently to how he was then with that bit more experience.But hindsight is a wonderful thing isn't it?

I wish Harry hadn't have lifted his skirt when he thought England were going to come calling and that Levy had have backed him that January when we were third and playing the best football I have ever seen at Spurs, instead Harry was a douche and Levy got in Saha & Nelsen on loan, the rest is history

If only we could have persuaded Sir Alex Ferguson to take over as our manager, back before he managed Manchester United... the rest could have been very different.

Otherwise, if only we could have signed Suarez, when we were thinking about it. Imagine if we had had Bale & Suarez in the same team.

I wish Harry hadn't have lifted his skirt when he thought England were going to come calling and that Levy had have backed him that January when we were third and playing the best football I have ever seen at Spurs, instead Harry was a douche and Levy got in Saha & Nelsen on loan, the rest is history

Absolutely. You always felt like we could score a goal from a number of different people.

With Marky on this one, for me that season feels ten times worse than lasagne gate, not just because of the BS in Munich but also that Jan window. Remember it like yesterday (looks at the screen in disbelief) " Louis Saha and Ryan f**king Nelson?!?!" I knew there and then that we'd handed the Goons an absolute lifeline.

Will possibly never get over season, would need a double of silverware or clinching the League at their place for me to get over that year.

With Marky on this one, for me that season feels ten times worse than lasagne gate, not just because of the BS in Munich but also that Jan window. Remember it like yesterday (looks at the screen in disbelief) " Louis Saha and Ryan f**king Nelson?!?!" I knew there and then that we'd handed the Goons an absolute lifeline.

Will possibly never get over season, would need a double of silverware or clinching the League at their place for me to get over that year.

I'd actually forgotten about that too hahah !!!

I think that is probably the point I would choose too @Gazzasrightboot but Sugar voting for the Sky TV deal because Amstrad were making the dishes probably set us back as much. More recently, things could have been very different if we could go back and stop John Terry racially abusing Anton Ferdinand.

Yeah, that was dodgy. He shouldn't have been allowed to vote in that one given the circumstances and the fact they won by one as well!

If only we could have persuaded Sir Alex Ferguson to take over as our manager, back before he managed Manchester United... the rest could have been very different.

Otherwise, if only we could have signed Suarez, when we were thinking about it. Imagine if we had had Bale & Suarez in the same team.

I know he was a great player, but I'm not sure I'd have wanted him to bite people... I suppose, he would have been our asshole. Him and Bale would have been unstoppable with VDV.

Yeah, that was dodgy. He shouldn't have been allowed to vote in that one given the circumstances and the fact they won by one as well!

Yeah, at a time when we were languishing in the bottom half of the table, it allowed the biggest clubs to pull away and for us to miss out on the biggest cash cow in the game's history. We've been playing catch up ever since.

I know he was a great player, but I'm not sure I'd have wanted him to bite people... I suppose, he would have been our *******. Him and Bale would have been unstoppable with VDV.

I wouldn't want him to bite people, but his technique is incredible, he produces so many magical moments that would have seen us become a lot more successful during the time. Instead, as has been said, we decided later that we wanted the likes of Saha and Nelson. That season was probably our biggest opportunity for success again but we screwed up, so many things went against us.. I have no idea what we were doing in the transfer window, coming away with Saha and Nelson, who could have approved that at board level as a good idea?

I wouldn't want him to bite people, but his technique is incredible, he produces so many magical moments that would have seen us become a lot more successful during the time. Instead, as has been said, we decided later that we wanted the likes of Saha and Nelson. That season was probably our biggest opportunity for success again but we screwed up, so many things went against us.. I have no idea what we were doing in the transfer window, coming away with Saha and Nelson, who could have approved that at board level as a good idea?

Agree completely.

Yeah, at a time when we were languishing in the bottom half of the table, it allowed the biggest clubs to pull away and for us to miss out on the biggest cash cow in the game's history. We've been playing catch up ever since.

I think Sugar even tipped off the Sky CEO how much ITV were bidding!

Great question. So many possible answers!

1. The linesman doesn't rule two good Spurs goals to be offside in the 1962 European Cup semi final first leg v Benfica.
2. Dave Mackay doesn't break his leg (first or second time).
3. John White decides not to play golf that fateful afternoon.
4. Keith Burkinshaw has no need to look wistfully back and say, "there used to be a football club over there". And stays instead.
5. Failing the above, Irving Scholar is successful in his attempt to persuade Alex Ferguson to become our new manager.
6. Liverpool fans don't riot in Heysel.
7. Alan Sugar has a character transplant and instead of reacting to Klinsmann's departure by ranting against Carlos Kickaballs, welcomes Dennis Bergkamp's offer to join Spurs with open arms.
8. Abramovich learns of Chelsea's historical anti-Semitism and chooses Spurs instead. Or decides against investing in football altogether (for which, ditto Mansour).
9. Lasagne is off the menu (yes, I know it was a virus!).
10. John Terry isn't a racist prick towards Anton Ferdinand; Fabio Capello doesn't resign from the England job; Harry Redknapp keeps his focus on Spurs; Marton Fulop doesn't suspiciously gift three goals to Arsenal in the final game of the season; and Bayern Munich score more than one of their 1,452 scoring opportunities in the Champions League final.

Great question. So many possible answers!

1. The linesman doesn't rule two good Spurs goals to be offside in the 1962 European Cup semi final first leg v Benfica.
2. Dave Mackay doesn't break his leg (first or second time).
3. John White decides not to play golf that fateful afternoon.
4. Keith Burkinshaw has no need to look wistfully back and say, "there used to be a football club there". And stays instead.
5. Failing the above, Irving Scholar is successful in his attempt to persuade Alex Ferguson to become our new manager.
6. Liverpool fans don't riot in Heysel.
7. Alan Sugar has a character transplant and instead of reacting to Klinsmann's departure by ranting against Carlos Kickaballs, welcomes Dennis Bergkamp's offer to join Spurs with open arms.
8. Abramovich learns of Chel53a's historical anti-Semitism and chooses Spurs instead. Or decides against investing in football altogether (for which, ditto Mansour).
9. Lasagne is off the menu (yes, I know it was a virus!).
10. John Terry isn't a racist prick towards Anton Ferdinand; Fabio Capello doesn't resign from the England job; Harry Redknapp keeps his focus on Spurs; Marton Fulop doesn't suspiciously gift three goals to Ar5ena1 in the final game of the season; Bayern Munich score more than one of their 1,452 scoring opportunities in the Champions League final.

There are so many! I suppose you could have Man United not bidding for Berbatov and Carrick!

Back