• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

If you were able to go back in time and change one thing about Spurs...

Not starting this thread?

I think the Bergkamp or Redknapp situations for me.

Although ordering all of n.London's taxi's when Vieira came to visit could be added to that list

Wow.
I did not know any of that.

How funny the "big clubs" held all the power before the meeting and wanted ITV - that would have been an awful choice. Nice to have had a forward thinking PL boss that wasn't in the pocket of the elite.

And would have changed the landscape of UK TV as if remember ( I was only 10 or 11) the Sky and BSkyB satellite offerings were garbage until they got the football.

Wow.
I did not know any of that.

How funny the "big clubs" held all the power before the meeting and wanted ITV - that would have been an awful choice. Nice to have had a forward thinking PL boss that wasn't in the pocket of the elite.

And would have changed the landscape of UK TV as if remember ( I was only 10 or 11) the Sky and BSkyB satellite offerings were garbage until they got the football.

The problem for us is that we were not in a position to capitalise on it at the time and it resulted in the bigger clubs pulling away from us.

Amstrad were making Sky's dishes, so it was a case of Sugar putting his other business interests above Spurs.

Has to be Harry turning down Suarez.

Was just about to say this. I think with him in the team the whole Harry to England thing wouldn't have mattered. Although I'm not so keen on him biting anyone in our colours, maybe that was just the scouser rubbing off on him though.

A few that spring to mind, in no particular order:

- Rory Delap's tackle causing King a career of knee problems

- Not building the Victoria Line all the way to Northumberland Park

- Dumbing down Audere est Facere into chav

- Installing the jumbotrons

- Keeping wavy corners in the stadium design

- Appointing Terry Neill over Danny Blanchflower in 1974, as well as the appointments of Graham, Redknapp and Sherwood

Personally I don't think events on the field or changes in playing personnel have that big an impact on the longer term cycles of fortune.

- Appointing Terry Neill over Danny Blanchflower in 1974, as well as the appointments of Graham, Redknapp and Sherwood

Personally I don't think events on the field or changes in playing personnel have that big an impact on the longer term cycles of fortune.

I didn't realise the jumbotrons had that much of an effect on you!

- If Ledley hadn't suffered so badly from injuries, I think there's little doubt that we would have lost him even earlier than we did. He wouldn't have done a Judas on us. But he would have left to win things. And no Spurs fan at the time could have blamed him.

- The new design doesn't have wavy corners. It has one wavy end. And since it's a 17K single tier stand, I think we can live with it.

- Bill Nick's recommendation was actually that a team of Danny Blanchflower and Johnny Giles replace him.

Last edited:
I didn't realise the jumbotrons had that much of an effect on you!

They are symbolic of the growing Americanisation and no-attention-span culture. Why is there a big TV on trying to distract people from the real live sport they've paid to watch? Next there will be music playing throughout the game, like ruined much of the Olympics

I can't dance about that.
Tottenham legend though he was, I'm far from convinced that Danny would have been right for us as manager. His one season managing in the top flight at Chelsea was a disaster. He notched up just five wins in 32 games before getting the sack.

As one who used to read his column in the Sunday Express it seemed to me he was far too much of a thinker for the nitty-gritty of football management.

Continue playing with wingers and pace, and not doing everything unwatchable slowly and predictably - all down the middle....:mad:

100% profit in 12 months - we were typical Spurs even before Levy! (£750k in, £1.5m out!)

When he was at Dundee he wanted to go to Rangers and Rangers put in a big bid for him, however Dundee would not sell to Rangers so he came here at a lower price. Gough wanted to go back and sign for Rangers which was always the plan, pity really because he was a good CB and he made Mabbutt play his best ever season for us.

Back