• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

I liked Erik Lamela before it was cool

Re: Official - Lamela

I think that Soldado has looked pretty good of late (all bar putting the ball in the net). I'm also not sure that it would be good to change the front pairing when it is the only constant in a team that is being patched together game by game.

I agree, and also seem to be linking up well. No need to change, a Soldado goal spree is inevitable.....

IMO Lamela has to earn his place. Both Adebayor and Lennon have earned their places recently under Sherwood. It is now up to Lamela to displace somebody in the team.

If somebody gets injured and Lamela comes in and does well then fine - he can keep his place. Alternatively if he comes on as sub and really changes a game, getting us the result then, again, he can keep his place, but for Sherwood to pick him over somebody else on the basis of (as yet unfilled - in a Tottenham shirt anyway) potential would send out completely the wrong signal to the whole squad.

From what I have seen in his recent appearances Lamela looks as though he is starting to get what English football is all about. His workrate has clearly improved since the start of the season, his confidence has also improved with him looking to do more 'difficult' things with the ball instead of just the simple pass and he also looks like he is starting to adjust to the fact that he won't get as much time on the ball as he did in Italy.

I never expected Lamela to hit the ground running at Spurs and always thought it would be the 2014/2015 season where he became a proper player for us. Of course the risk is that he won't be prepared to wait that long himself if he thinks that a lack of playing time will hinder his chances of playing at this Summer's World Cup, although personally I think there will be enough opportunities for him to play as this season progresses.

Then all these rumours are just hogwash...we should expect to see him in action especially with Defoe gone.

Soldado and lamela would be interesting. Too bad ade's been scoring loads lately (by our standards)

Not sure Timmeh likes foreign nancies though. He'll always pick Townsend and Lennon over Lamela.

I think this is absolutely right, and it is matches such as Crystal Palace at home where we should be putting him on and letting him have a go.
I'd start him on the right in place of Lennon on Saturday.
Not saying Lennon should be dropped but there has to be a bit of rotation if you have £30m players on the bench.

...........Dembele....Sandro
Lamela...........................Eriksen
.............Ade........Soldado

Before people say 'no width' that is the job of overlapping LB/RB Walker and Rose to get forward. They are both perfectly capable of that.

I like that. It would / could be the launching pad for the kid.

IMO Lamela has to earn his place. Both Adebayor and Lennon have earned their places recently under Sherwood. It is now up to Lamela to displace somebody in the team.

If somebody gets injured and Lamela comes in and does well then fine - he can keep his place. Alternatively if he comes on as sub and really changes a game, getting us the result then, again, he can keep his place, but for Sherwood to pick him over somebody else on the basis of (as yet unfilled - in a Tottenham shirt anyway) potential would send out completely the wrong signal to the whole squad.

From what I have seen in his recent appearances Lamela looks as though he is starting to get what English football is all about. His workrate has clearly improved since the start of the season, his confidence has also improved with him looking to do more 'difficult' things with the ball instead of just the simple pass and he also looks like he is starting to adjust to the fact that he won't get as much time on the ball as he did in Italy.

I never expected Lamela to hit the ground running at Spurs and always thought it would be the 2014/2015 season where he became a proper player for us. Of course the risk is that he won't be prepared to wait that long himself if he thinks that a lack of playing time will hinder his chances of playing at this Summer's World Cup, although personally I think there will be enough opportunities for him to play as this season progresses.

Top post. I agree 100%.

Not sure Timmeh likes foreign nancies though. He'll always pick Townsend and Lennon over Lamela.

It's a bit premature to be making statements like that. At the moment we have no idea what Sherwood's preferred first team is when everyone is fit. I assume that the formation will also develop once confidence is restored and we have more fit players.

You said yourself that it was expected that Lamela would take a while to settle. Why are you prepared to accept that as a reason for a lack of playing time under AVB but assume the same under Sherwood is because of a prejudice against technical foreign players?

...........Dembele....Sandro
Lamela...........................Eriksen
.............Ade........Soldado

Before people say 'no width' that is the job of overlapping LB/RB Walker and Rose to get forward. They are both perfectly capable of that.

^^^^ This for me to with Sandro just sitting that bit deeper. Not bothered about width. Most other sides aren't.

Explain his picking of Bentaleb then

To suggest his selections have something to do with the nationality of a player seems a bit of strange one. Maybe I'll turn out to be wrong but I like to think that Sherwood will pick who he deems to be training the best and also having the best effect on the pitch within the system he decides is best for that game. Have you seen evidence to suggest otherwise?

I want to be positive about Lamela but it's a worrying sign that people are so enthralled that he's got use to the pace and style of the premier league because he's getting stuck in. All I've seen is a player who is producing below par performances adding below par tackles to his game as well.

He started against Southampton, came on as a sub vs West Brom and Stoke and sat out the UTD game. We know he was injured for the Arsenal game, but that run of appearances there strikes me as a manager giving a player minutes to settle him. TS didn't expose him to UTD when they were chasing an equaliser (rightly so) however we have been seeing more of the lad and he has been tidy if not spectacular. I think Sherwood is doing what needs to be done here and bumping up his confidence until it clicks into place. AVB tried something similar but when Lamela did have a good game (Sheriff), AVB then dropped him completely.

I hope Levy has told Juve to go whistle, because that offer is a pi$$ take. Young 21 year old with bundles of talent for a player who isn't going to get any younger and may not even settle plus a £5 million sweetener. Yeah right.

To suggest his selections have something to do with the nationality of a player seems a bit of strange one. Maybe I'll turn out to be wrong but I like to think that Sherwood will pick who he deems to be training the best and also having the best effect on the pitch within the system he decides is best for that game. Have you seen evidence to suggest otherwise?

I want to be positive about Lamela but it's a worrying sign that people are so enthralled that he's got use to the pace and style of the premier league because he's getting stuck in. All I've seen is a player who is producing below par performances adding below par tackles to his game as well.

Couldn't agree more yet I have been getting caned by Spurs fans on here and elsewhere. Does earning a place on merit mean nothing? He hasn't gotten a run of games because when he has played for the most part he has looked **** that is the bottom line. He has had 10 starts and 17 appearances overall it isn't like he has never left the bench. He has had opportunities he just hasn't taken them.

Again still think if we are patient he will come good but he shouldn't be near the first 11 now imo

I think that Soldado has looked pretty good of late (all bar putting the ball in the net). I'm also not sure that it would be good to change the front pairing when it is the only constant in a team that is being patched together game by game.

Yeh you're probably right and I agree I wouldn't drop either of them right now. But if I was forced to drop someone, that is where I would fit Lamela into the team. Would rather see him up front working off Ade. Although it would be interesting seeing him supplying Soldado, but I don't think we would hold onto the ball enough up top (see Man U game after Ade went off) with those two.

AVB picked them over Lamela too(in case you forgot).

I know. I agreed with the give him (and Eriksen) six-months and ease them in idea too, and agreed with AVB playing Townsend and Lennon over him at that stage.

I just think Timmeh prefers quick head-down on the break players in principle, and Lamela's fate as an indirect inverted player is terminal whilst he remains in charge.

Bentaleb is homegrown though isn't he. Schooled in the cold and mud here.

I know. I agreed with the give him (and Eriksen) six-months and ease them in idea too, and agreed with AVB playing Townsend and Lennon over him at that stage.

How do you know that was AVB's plan? what if he genuinely preferred Lennon and Townsend over him? i mean he didn't exactly "ease Eriksen in" did he.

How do you know that was AVB's plan? what if he genuinely preferred Lennon and Townsend over him? i mean he didn't exactly "ease Eriksen in" did he.

exactly

apparently AVB didnt even want Lamela and the way he used him kinda showed he wasnt sure how what to do with the kid

so its Timmeh now is it.....just like you used to say Mehgredo whilst he was at Sevilla and we were linked with him :rolleyes: jeez

I would drop Ade, a short term run of form doesn't make him the answer to our problems.

I had a feeling that Ade would come good this season but think a 9 rated performance from Ade = an 8 rated performance from Lamela with regard to their respective abilities.

heard it all now, he's been our best player last few weeks but let's just drop him for the sake of hoping Lamela "settles" ffs

Back