• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

I liked Erik Lamela before it was cool

Re: Official - Lamela

I don't really get what the issue is, is it just that some people on here over hyped him a little?

I think what is more important is, can he go on and be an important player for us? Right now I think it is impossible to say with any certainty but like you say, he certainly has tallent.

**** it.

think what you want...post was OT

Last edited:

i think its already been mentioned, but it hasnt helped Lamela that he came in and had to fit in with AVBs tactics....The way Sherwood has us set up will probably suit the kid better

i think its already been mentioned, but it hasnt helped Lamela that he came in and had to fit in with AVBs tactics....The way Sherwood has us set up will probably suit the kid better

Yes this will like his first vs second season at Roma, in terms of his productivity and his suitability for the system.

I think Rossi is right, Lamela is exceptional and COULD become an incredible player for us.

I'm not concerned, he pulled the same muscle which implies he was trying too hard too soon. He needs to rest it properly before making a comeback.

this is what i don't get? based on what? Serie A maybe but aside from a few nice flashes we haven't seen anything to deem hum exceptional not even close tbh

Hype or no hype, the kid has talent it's just a case of whether he'll make it or not.

I don't think the problem lies in his ability, I think the problem lies in here

Scans-Show-Brain-Region-Involved-in-Self-Confidence.jpg

Whether it is general lack of confidence or growing up too fast or homesickness or feels there's too much pressure because of the price tag or struggling to fit in or everything combined the kid's body language says it all, he doesn't feel at home and because of that when out on the pitch he doesn't want to be there, to me he seems to be somewhat falling out of love with football. If that is the case then that would be a great shame because it's completely off the pitch matters that is causing this.

I am still surprised so many thought he'd hit the ground running, from day one I saw this to be a purchase with the long term in mind.

All I'm going to say is that I'd be surprised if he doesn't make it or the club loose patience and sell him in the summer, something I would strongly advice against doing.

**** it.

think what you want...post was OT

I've read the original post. I don't think that it was OT but I do think that it was impolite.

There are no agendas here. I am genuinely interested on what your thinking is with Lamela and why you think this. It appears to me your views on him are, at least in part, a reaction to people over hyping him on here. Is this fair or am I wide of the mark?

Hype or no hype, the kid has talent it's just a case of whether he'll make it or not.

I don't think the problem lies in his ability, I think the problem lies in here

Scans-Show-Brain-Region-Involved-in-Self-Confidence.jpg

Whether it is general lack of confidence or growing up too fast or homesickness or feels there's too much pressure because of the price tag or struggling to fit in or everything combined the kid's body language says it all, he doesn't feel at home and because of that when out on the pitch he doesn't want to be there, to me he seems to be somewhat falling out of love with football. If that is the case then that would be a great shame because it's completely off the pitch matters that is causing this.

I am still surprised so many thought he'd hit the ground running, from day one I saw this to be a purchase with the long term in mind.

All I'm going to say is that I'd be surprised if he doesn't make it or the club loose patience and sell him in the summer, something I would strongly advice against doing.

i agree that his problem is definately in his head

not even hit the ground running...just landing would be nice and showing what there is to come in the future. long term project or no

the funny thing is that in the arsenal game when he first came on he did exactly that in certain aspects of his game.

let me ask you something....julian draxler, morata, tello

if chelseA/arsenal / united paid 30 million pounds for one of these kids....do you think that when the kids arrive or play they would have a problem expressing themselves on the pitch? not talking playing to world class levels...but more to do with playing to a solid and significantly contributing standard of a youth prospect of their stature

do you think the big clubs would expect the bedding in process of lets say 3 years?

and if they dont manage to get to that state.....would the big clubs consider strongly the possibility of loaning them out?

Morata and Tello aren't on the same level as Lamela but either way, if they were signed by English clubs and then not played, I'm guessing they wouldn't be huge successes straight away, no.

Sorry had a quick look, not sure if anyone else commented on this already but I notice he didn't play in the friendly 3-0 win v Wet Spam where we fielded a super strong side. Any news on Erik? Injured?

Sorry had a quick look, not sure if anyone else commented on this already but I notice he didn't play in the friendly 3-0 win v Wet Spam where we fielded a super strong side. Any news on Erik? Injured?

Yes, on the previous page.

Oops my bad. Thanks

Dam. Shame he's out again. this season is really proving to be a tough one for the lad.

Yes but I think we can unearth a pile of gold with him in a few weeks if we can get him fit...feeling happier & more motivated...

He could well light up February and March for us....& beyond. Thats my hope anyway.

Morata and Tello aren't on the same level as Lamela but either way, if they were signed by English clubs and then not played, I'm guessing they wouldn't be huge successes straight away, no.

so the only thing that would be stopping them being amazing / huge successes is actually playing then?

the assumption here being that they are huge successes and amazing everywhere else aside from the pitch

okay i see your point. if you are an amazing talent all you need to have is the opportunity to show this, once given that opportunity you will most probably be a huge success?

So assuming these players were given the opportunity to showcase their ability and they continuously didnt stand out or perform well enough to take someone else's place.....what then?

further more i take it that lamela hasnt been played or given an opportunity to show his much greater than standard prospect ablilties, because if he had...he would probably have turned in big time performances that would keep him in the first 11? is that right?

so the only thing that would be stopping them being amazing / huge successes is actually playing then?

the assumption here being that they are huge successes and amazing everywhere else aside from the pitch

okay i see your point. if you are an amazing talent all you need to have is the opportunity to show this, once given that opportunity you will most probably be a huge success?

So assuming these players were given the opportunity to showcase their ability and they continuously didnt stand out or perform well enough to take someone else's place.....what then?

further more i take it that lamela hasnt been played or given an opportunity to show his much greater than standard prospect ablilties, because if he had...he would probably have turned in big time performances that would keep him in the first 11? is that right?

Your posts are very confusing and you have me doubting what I'm even supposed to be trying to argue but I'll reply to you on this one last time as it's becoming increasingly tedious.

- So the only thing that would be stopping them being amazing / huge successes is actually playing then?

Not the only thing, no, but the most important. You buy a football player to play football for you, if you don't allow them to do that then it's quite unlikely that they're going to be a big success for you - unless they have another hidden talent?

- okay i see your point. if you are an amazing talent all you need to have is the opportunity to show this, once given that opportunity you will most probably be a huge success?

This is more or less the same as the first point. No player is guaranteed success but given the right conditions and treatment, you give them a good chance of being just that. Lamela obviously needs to adapt to things outside of playing football given he's moved to a new country with a different way of life and language, he needs to be settled off the pitch for him to perform on it. No one knows how he's doing externally but even if everything was perfect for him and he was settled, he still needs time and opportunities on the pitch, that's where his workplace is, not at home.

- So assuming these players were given the opportunity to showcase their ability and they continuously didnt stand out or perform well enough to take someone else's place.....what then?

Is this what you think of Lamela then? He's been given an opportunity and failed to deliver? The answer to your question is that it would depend on the time and opportunities you've given to the player. For example, if we're concluding that a player doesn't deserve his place after three league starts in five months then I would consider that unfair, if a player had played ample amount of games over say two seasons and hadn't shown anything to justify him keeping other players out of the team then you'd have to look at maybe moving them on. It's just a shame that nowadays a player gets a couple of games rather than a couple of seasons.

- further more i take it that lamela hasnt been played or given an opportunity to show his much greater than standard prospect ablilties, because if he had...he would probably have turned in big time performances that would keep him in the first 11? is that right?

He does have "greater than standard prospect abilities", he's shown that in his short career elsewhere. That doesn't mean to say he will 100% definitely realise that here, it may take a run of 3 games, it may take 10, 20, 30 but I don't think you write him off when he's yet to even make consecutive starts. At least give a player a run of games before concluding anything.

My view on you is that you've come across as quite bitter with regards to Lamela for a few months now, it's like you're taking on this role to take him and his fans "down a peg or two". You seem to blame him for the money we've invested in him and blaming him for not turning in Messi-like performances on the rare occasion that he's been given a few minutes. I may have that completely wrong but that's how you've come across in this thread, whenever someone has something positive or constructive to say re. Lamela, you're always the first to offer up the opposite view.

Hopefully this is true:

[tweet]426410138795143168[/tweet]

Obviously not happy that he's injured, but happy that injury is the reason we haven't heard anything from him for a couple of weeks.

How reliable is this twitter account? Also, have the club released any injury info on Lamela?
If not, my question would be why not?

How reliable is this twitter account? Also, have the club released any injury info on Lamela?
If not, my question would be why not?

Don't know. No. Don't know. They haven't released any injury info on Townsend either, doesn't mean there's something untoward happening.

Back