• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

I liked Erik Lamela before it was cool

Re: Official - Lamela

I still don't think we overpaid for Lamela, how many 21 year olds with his pedigree go for less than £26m these days? For example, if/when Everton sell Ross Barkley, he's going to go for that, if not more ... yes he looks like a very promising young player with big potential but he's not performed at the level Lamela has. Just because we've decided not to use him doesn't erase what he's done beforehand, the kid has been thought of as highly as Sergio Aguero from a young age, that's the kind of talent he has but a few stop-start below-par appearances here and there has Spurs fans saying "cut our losses" or that we overpaid.

Hopefully this is true:

[tweet]426410138795143168[/tweet]

Obviously not happy that he's injured, but happy that injury is the reason we haven't heard anything from him for a couple of weeks.

I'm not worried about him. Was always going to take some time settling in. Was hoping, offcourse, that he'd take the league by storm, but he will come good imo. Next season could be interesting. I also think we'll see the best of Soldado then.

I still don't think we overpaid for Lamela, how many 21 year olds with his pedigree go for less than £26m these days? For example, if/when Everton sell Ross Barkley, he's going to go for that, if not more ... yes he looks like a very promising young player with big potential but he's not performed at the level Lamela has. Just because we've decided not to use him doesn't erase what he's done beforehand, the kid has been thought of as highly as Sergio Aguero from a young age, that's the kind of talent he has but a few stop-start below-par appearances here and there has Spurs fans saying "cut our losses" or that we overpaid.
he had one good season in a poor Italian league. 26 mill was way too much. He is a good player and we havent seen enough of him, but we absolutely overpaid because we had a big wedge of cash coming into our pocket from the Bale sale. Im sure you too would be happy if lets say Napoli came in and took Townsend off us for 26 mill quid. Townsend has proved he can perform very well at PL and international level, so is he worth 26 mill??

he had one good season in a poor Italian league. 26 mill was way too much. He is a good player and we havent seen enough of him, but we absolutely overpaid because we had a big wedge of cash coming into our pocket from the Bale sale. Im sure you too would be happy if lets say Napoli came in and took Townsend off us for 26 mill quid. Townsend has proved he can perform very well at PL and international level, so is he worth 26 mill??

I must've missed when Townsend banged in 15 goals and provided 5 assists at the age of 20. I don't recall him moving for £15m~ as a teenager either or being courted by the biggest clubs in the world from the age of 12.

I must've missed when Townsend banged in 15 goals and provided 5 assists at the age of 20. I don't recall him moving for £15m~ as a teenager either or being courted by the biggest clubs in the world from the age of 12.
as i said, Serie A is not what it was, i mean just look at how Gervinho is ripping it up out there. Erik did well in one season, its not enough for him to be in the 25-30 mill bracket.

still, i wouldnt sell him. He is a talent, needs to get his head straight and accept that he is now in England and the PL, and as ive said from day one id like to see him play more centrally and off Soldado

Yeah, Gervinho's tearing it up with his four goals. £25m-£30m is the going rate for a player of Lamela's credentials, we didn't overpay, the Bale fee didn't affect what we paid either. I didn't ever consider us as having a chance of signing Lamela and if he'd gone elsewhere for £25m then I'd've leant more towards it being a good deal for the buying club than Roma. They sold Marquinhos for £30m, that was a very good deal for Roma, £25m for Lamela wasn't anything out of the ordinary.

Not sure if the injury report is true and never want to see any of our players get injured but it really isn't bad timing. He can rehab/train see the back of the transfer window and hopefully we can see a new player emerge. We are in great form now without getting anything from him, and all has gone quiet on his front. So the pressure has eased for awhile maybe he can come into the team down the business end of the season and make a difference, if not hopefully next season.

MOST Spurs fans could care less who is in the team as long as we are getting wins and playing good football which we are at the moment, so it's good in a sense past few weeks heard very few even comment where are 30m signing is. A lot on here keep saying give him time he will come good, so it appears he is getting that.

Yeah, Gervinho's tearing it up with his four goals. £25m-£30m is the going rate for a player of Lamela's credentials, we didn't overpay, the Bale fee didn't affect what we paid either. I didn't ever consider us as having a chance of signing Lamela and if he'd gone elsewhere for £25m then I'd've leant more towards it being a good deal for the buying club than Roma. They sold Marquinhos for £30m, that was a very good deal for Roma, £25m for Lamela wasn't anything out of the ordinary.
i think you are in the minority with your view, but i do hope he proves to be worth the outlay

I agree with Rossi, 20+ mill is the going rate for a talent like lamela at his age and what he'd done in serie A the previous season.

Rossi is right on the money here imo.

At the very least any statement like "we overpaid for him" should be held until he's much further into his Spurs career.

Repeating myself here, but: Probably more studs in a football boot than people in the world of football that know more about Erik Lamela than Franco Baldini does. Baldini also knows a thing or two about English football. One of his first major decisions in his new job as probably the one footballing man we trust the most was to say that we should sign Lamela for the price we got him for.

Both Lamela and Baldini deserve the benefit of the doubt over some premature judgement made on the very small sample we have of Lamela in a Spurs shirt.

Am I the only one that is slightly concerned - if the injury report is true -that our £30m record signing has hardly played a game yet managed to tear an important muscle and then pull the same muscle again in recovery. That is without the wear and tear of playing 90mins, week-in week-out, in one of the most physically demanding leagues in the world.

If we sell him and recoup, fine. If he stays and makes a contribution, fine. But the last thing we want is for him to get a nagging recurrent injury.

i think you are in the minority with your view

I think Rossi is right, Lamela is exceptional and COULD become an incredible player for us.

Am I the only one that is slightly concerned - the last thing we want is for him to get a nagging recurrent injury.

I'm not concerned, he pulled the same muscle which implies he was trying too hard too soon. He needs to rest it properly before making a comeback.

as i said, Serie A is not what it was, i mean just look at how Gervinho is ripping it up out there. Erik did well in one season, its not enough for him to be in the 25-30 mill bracket.

I watched a couple of matches recently hwere Gervinho was introduced off the bench. He's as bad as he ever was. He might have had a good spell at the start of his Roma career but he looks like he is regressing to mean now.

The only thing i have to go on about lamela is what i have seen, listening to hype men does no good

personally i think we over paid, i think we thought we would be getting more than he has given us, not everything..just more

the thing about barkley not performing on lamela's level is one of those invalid arguments, just because Barkley hasnt had a chance to tear up a poor league like italy doesnt mean that he cant.

gervinho is one of the best players out there...here he is just another jinky wide man withOUT an end product issue

lamela definately has talent , no doubt about it.....the only thing i am not sure of is if he is indeed one of the stand out by far best young players around right now

i'm all for playing , infact i want to..just so we can get some productivity from him and he can contribute

Last edited:

The only thing i have to go on about lamela is what i have seen, listening to hype men does no good

personally i think we over paid, i think we thought we would be getting more than he has given us, not everything..just more

the thing about barkley not performing on lamela's level is one of those invalid arguments, just because Barkley hasnt had a chance to tear up a poor league like italy doesnt mean that he cant.

gervinho is one of the best players out there...here he is just another jinky wide man with an end product issue

lamela definately has talent , no doubt about it.....the only thing i am not sure of is if he is indeed one of the stand out by far best young players around right now

i'm all for playing , infact i want to..just so we can get some productivity from him and he can contribute

I don't really get what the issue is, is it just that some people on here over hyped him a little?

I think what is more important is, can he go on and be an important player for us? Right now I think it is impossible to say with any certainty but like you say, he certainly has tallent.

Back