• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

I liked Erik Lamela before it was cool

I think we will be playing 3 up front though
Like we kinda did yesterday
And as I said I don’t want Lamela gone for the sake of it, I’d want him replaced and someone like sessegnon would be an upgrade as he has a better fitness record in the premier league after one season
Sessegnon is not an upgrade on Lamela. Silva is an upgrade. Sterling is an upgrade. Sessegnon - I haven't seen much to suggest he would be better. It says a lot that Ryan Babel was Fulham's best offensive outlet in the games I watched.

Sessegnon is not an upgrade on Lamela. Silva is an upgrade. Sterling is an upgrade. Sessegnon - I haven't seen much to suggest he would be better. It says a lot that Ryan Babel was Fulham's best offensive outlet in the games I watched.

He is an upgrade as he can stay fit and available for more than 3 games on the trot
Any player who actually is available regularly is an upgrade by default

Maybe most of the people who have an opinion on all things to do with football are true fans of Spurs, with a deep Lilywhite running through them, but not an over-abundance of actual, real, footballer knowledge. I trust Poch to run this club. When all is said and done he will be in the top two (or three, sorry Mr. Burkinshaw) of managers at our club, and if he things Mr. Lamela is fit for purpose I will bow to his superior skills in the football game.

Fair point.

What I like about Lamela is that he is probably about the highest level player you can hope to get, without giving him a regular spot. He seems happy to be here, is on moderate wages AFAIK, and doesn't seem to mind being an impact sub or in a rotation (even in the 5 minute period per season he's fully fit). That said, things could have and probably would have been different if he didn't have the injury resume he has. But as of present, him being here works well for both parties.

What I like about Lamela is that he is probably about the highest level player you can hope to get, without giving him a regular spot. He seems happy to be here, is on moderate wages AFAIK, and doesn't seem to mind being an impact sub or in a rotation (even in the 5 minute period per season he's fully fit). That said, things could have and probably would have been different if he didn't have the injury resume he has. But as of present, him being here works well for both parties.

This. Lamela's role is not as a starter - it never has been, outside of a brief window of optimism in 2013-2014 that he would be something other than a perpetually injured utility player.

Lamela is excellent depth - the sort of player who's happy not to start, works incredibly hard, is fiercely competitive, and, when he's fit, is a useful rotation player to have.

You won't find better than him for that role. I'd keep him here for a couple of years yet, if he wants to stay.

What good is "excellent depth", and how can you not "find better than him" when you cant rely on him being available when you actually need him?

This tops ALL the pros of him as a player. He could be better than Messi and Ronaldo combined, but what is the point if he is never there when you need him?

We have four competitions to try and win. We have no room for passengers and sicknotes.

Lamela occupies a valued squad place and offers us virtually nothing. As much as I like him (when he is fit to play, and has blown the cobwebs off) Id be very happy to sell him this summer.

What good is "excellent depth", and how can you not "find better than him" when you cant rely on him being available when you actually need him?

This tops ALL the pros of him as a player. He could be better than Messi and Ronaldo combined, but what is the point if he is never there when you need him?

We have four competitions to try and win. We have no room for passengers and sicknotes.

Lamela occupies a valued squad place and offers us virtually nothing. As much as I like him (when he is fit to play, and has blown the cobwebs off) Id be very happy to sell him this summer.

I think that there are higher priorities. A player of comparable quality is going to cost at least £50m and that money could be better spent elsewhere this summer.

What is does appear to me, is that we are signing flexible players who can play a number of positions. This gives us greater flexibility to cover injuries.

A big season this for Lamela. At 27 now is his time. If he can keep fit he could make a name for himelf this year.

He will never been consistent. He won't play a full 50 game season. Poch will need to rotate him in and out. But he can contribute a lot more than he has been. A coming of age season for him?

You can't find better than him, for two reasons.

One, as @milo pointed out, better than him would cost 50m. Secondly, a fitter player than him will demand more playing time, and look to move if he isn't getting it. After all, he's fit and he costs a lot, why shouldn't he play?

The fact that he's fit maybe 50% of the time is what keeps him from looking to play more. Which makes it convenient for us - better 50% availability than 0% because the bloke that replaces him wants out after one season on the bench, souring the mood in the dressing room in the process and probably tinkling off Poch.

I think that there are higher priorities. A player of comparable quality is going to cost at least £50m and that money could be better spent elsewhere this summer.

What is does appear to me, is that we are signing flexible players who can play a number of positions. This gives us greater flexibility to cover injuries.

Another point on priorities, beyond money. All of our transfer activity goes through one person, and Levy only has so much bandwidth.

You can't find better than him, for two reasons.

One, as @milo pointed out, better than him would cost 50m. Secondly, a fitter player than him will demand more playing time, and look to move if he isn't getting it. After all, he's fit and he costs a lot, why shouldn't he play?

The fact that he's fit maybe 50% of the time is what keeps him from looking to play more. Which makes it convenient for us - better 50% availability than 0% because the bloke that replaces him wants out after one season on the bench, souring the mood in the dressing room in the process and probably tinkling off Poch.

I'd swap him out for Jarred Bowen tomorrow, and we would profit on the deal as well.

And we would be markedly better off.

There's probably an argument that Lamela is a better player, but as you say - he might only be available 50% of the time. And you don't get to choose which 50%, so it's entirely possible he is 100% useless.

Someone like Bowen is going to do his damn best to compete, to improve and to contribute. And I highly doubt he will cause unrest in doing so.

Give me a player 80% as good (and young enough to develop) who is available 100% of the time any day over someone like Lamela who is a write off most of the time

@milo completely agree there are bigger fish to fry, but I'd still want us to be open to opportunities. You can't always do your business in the order you most prefer

@milo completely agree there are bigger fish to fry, but I'd still want us to be open to opportunities. You can't always do your business in the order you most prefer

No but you need to plan your window in that manner and I don't think that this is a move we should look at whilst we are trying to address higher priorities. It does appear that we can only progress a couple of transfers at one time.

Back