• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

I liked Erik Lamela before it was cool

Do you not think that he was a BIG part of that

I’m not anti lamella but he is not a player who should be starting for us at the moment

We looked miles better when we had some true positive attackers on the pitch on Sunday.

Players who don’t play safe

I'm with you to a large extent. We have 5 decent players for the 3 roles behind Kane.

Eriksen is fundamental to our play so is a first choice, and Dele can produce things out of nothing so is a first choice. In my view, we then need one of Son or Moura, otherwise we lack any pace in our midfield or attack. So my first choice 3 would be Eriksen, Dele and Son/Moura with Son/Moura and Lamela on the bench.

That said, we play 50-60 games per season with most players having say 10 internationals on top of that, so we need all 5 of those players, and its not as if any of them are awful so they should all get decent game time.

I do think Lamela needs to hurt teams more though, whether assists or goals and particularly against weaker teams. He does seem to do better against good teams, for whatever reason.

The team has developed a lot since his decent season with us, and developed both in terms of overall level as well as depth. Lamela has a great attitude and fight/determination so hopefully he'll accept the challenge and try to use that as motivation to improve more and hurt teams more

Last edited:
I'm with you to a large extent. We have 5 decent players for the 3 roles behind Kane.

Eriksen is fundamental to our play so is a first choice, and Dele can produce things out of nothing so is a first choice. In my view, we then need one of Son or Moura, otherwise we lack any pace in our midfield or attack. So my first choice 3 would be Eriksen, Dele and Son/Moura with Son/Moura and Lamela on the bench.

That said, we play 50-60 games per season with most players having say 10 internationals on top of that, so we need all 5 of those players, and its not as if any of them are awful so they should all get decent game time.

I do think Lamela needs to hurt teams more though, whether assists or goals and particularly against weaker teams. He does seem to do better against good teams, for whatever reason.

The team has developed a lot since his decent season with us, and developed both in terms of overall level as well as depth. Lamela has a great attitude and fight/determination so hopefully he'll accept the challenge and try to use that as motivation to improve more and hurt teams more

Honestly I like Lamela bit right now he hasn’t shown anything to merit a start and I’d argue Moura has had a Bigger impact

We’re So dominant in games we cannot have players slowing us down in our play (which isn’t the quickest anyway)

It would also help if he started using his right foot again

Lamela is the type of player who will always divide opinion. He can be a bit reckless but sometimes one player needs to show a bit of aggression to lift the others. I was surprised Poch kept him on after his yellow as he obviously finds it difficult to resist a tackling opportunity. What I like about him though is his ability to play a quick ball perfectly weighted and angled through the defence for a scoring opportunity. Despite the number of lengthy absences there are enough videos out there which attest to that rare ability. He needs to do it regularly though otherwise Moura or Sonny will get the nod ahead of him.

Lamela is the type of player who will always divide opinion. He can be a bit reckless but sometimes one player needs to show a bit of aggression to lift the others. I was surprised Poch kept him on after his yellow as he obviously finds it difficult to resist a tackling opportunity. What I like about him though is his ability to play a quick ball perfectly weighted and angled through the defence for a scoring opportunity. Despite the number of lengthy absences there are enough videos out there which attest to that rare ability. He needs to do it regularly though otherwise Moura or Sonny will get the nod ahead of him.
How regularly do you think is possible in a game? How often does Eriksen play these kind of passes in a game? I would say 2-3 a game would be great, but that is elite level and I don't think even Eriksen or De Bruyne average 3 a game (I am talking chance-creating passes). I also happen to think that Lamela's role is somewhat different to that of Son and Moura. I see him more of an Eriksen replacement than a Son/Moura replacement. In some games you will need both Eriksen and Lamela on the pitch, especially games with packed defenses. In more open games you will need just one of them with Son and/or Moura taking up the spare spot in the team.

How regularly do you think is possible in a game? How often does Eriksen play these kind of passes in a game? I would say 2-3 a game would be great, but that is elite level and I don't think even Eriksen or De Bruyne average 3 a game (I am talking chance-creating passes). I also happen to think that Lamela's role is somewhat different to that of Son and Moura. I see him more of an Eriksen replacement than a Son/Moura replacement. In some games you will need both Eriksen and Lamela on the pitch, especially games with packed defenses. In more open games you will need just one of them with Son and/or Moura taking up the spare spot in the team.

But Lamela against a packed defence has no where to go. He just ends up going sideways and backwards. He doesn’t have the right variety and can’t use his right foot

It’s the same with Moussa in that we don’t need him against those teams.

What you could do (and what city do) is play one holder (Wanyama or Dier) with eriksen and play another attacking player in front (which could be lamella or moura)

Thereby having your most creative player having more of the pitch and having a variety of options in front of him

But Lamela against a packed defence has no where to go. He just ends up going sideways and backwards. He doesn’t have the right variety and can’t use his right foot

It’s the same with Moussa in that we don’t need him against those teams.

What you could do (and what city do) is play one holder (Wanyama or Dier) with eriksen and play another attacking player in front (which could be lamella or moura)

Thereby having your most creative player having more of the pitch and having a variety of options in front of him
Most of the time even the most creative player will have nowhere to go. You can't expect anyone to be creating one chance after another against a packed defense. It's for the 1-2 moments where there is an opening that you want a player like Lamela on the pitch so he can find that opening. He'll have to make 50 sideways passes in the meantime, though. And those sideways passes aren't useless either. Their purpose is to pull the defense so that opening can be created.

Through balls are one of Eriksen's weakest points. Almost always straight at a defender. I'd say Lamela takes a better corner as well.

I think he needs a consistent run in the side to see if he can match Eriksen's creative output.

Eriksen is one of the best creative players in Europe (stats back that up), Lamela is highly unlikely to match that.

His role is different, he has to use movement, his high energy rate, higher aggression level and hopefully greater goal threat (I could see him matching Eriksen in goals scored).

Like the guy and there is a player there, but we have been waiting for years now, and increasingly it will get harder for him adding to Son, Dele, Eriksen, Lucas already competing for 3 places.

Eriksen is one of the best creative players in Europe (stats back that up), Lamela is highly unlikely to match that.

His role is different, he has to use movement, his high energy rate, higher aggression level and hopefully greater goal threat (I could see him matching Eriksen in goals scored).

Like the guy and there is a player there, but we have been waiting for years now, and increasingly it will get harder for him adding to Son, Dele, Eriksen, Lucas already competing for 3 places.

Honestly he has already done very well. Look at his work rate and intensity which is further backed up by his attacking stats.

There is a reason why poch plays him in big games.

Most of the time even the most creative player will have nowhere to go. You can't expect anyone to be creating one chance after another against a packed defense. It's for the 1-2 moments where there is an opening that you want a player like Lamela on the pitch so he can find that opening. He'll have to make 50 sideways passes in the meantime, though. And those sideways passes aren't useless either. Their purpose is to pull the defense so that opening can be created.

He has to create that opening though
Against palace it was like watching a crab... sideways and backwards
He played 2 positive passes from memory and they hit placate defenders

Why did we look more threatening when he was off then?

People are seeing something there with him which was the case 18 months ago but has not been since

You don’t play an attacker because he is aggressive

That's one game though @Bedfordspurs tbf and i think its fair to say our other attacking players are all guilty of having games here and there where they don't really contribute in terms of creativity, seen it plenty of times this season - he's just back from a long layoff and overall I'd say he has been looking good, Palace game was not his best though tbf

That's one game though @Bedfordspurs tbf and i think its fair to say our other attacking players are all guilty of having games here and there where they don't really contribute in terms of creativity, seen it plenty of times this season - he's just back from a long layoff and overall I'd say he has been looking good, Palace game was not his best though tbf

I’d say he has had a few decent moments and got a couple of assists

Beyond that he has been average and doesn’t merit a start over players like son and Moura has been more effective in less time

It’s why I said the long lay off hasn’t helped

I’d say he has had a few decent moments and got a couple of assists

Beyond that he has been average and doesn’t merit a start over players like son and Moura has been more effective in less time

It’s why I said the long lay off hasn’t helped

Im not sure i understand this position tbh - it's a squad game and players are getting rotated in and out for a variety of reasons, it's not a straight choice on which player is considered best, Son has played all season and will need rotating, Moura has just signed and will need to get up to speed - Lamela needs minutes to get back to the level he was at before his injury

Im not sure i understand this position tbh - it's a squad game and players are getting rotated in and out for a variety of reasons, it's not a straight choice on which player is considered best, Son has played all season and will need rotating, Moura has just signed and will need to get up to speed - Lamela needs minutes to get back to the level he was at before his injury
And Aurier needs a rest. Up until August.

What? This isn't like FIFA where you run every outfield player into the ground while playing a one-off friendly match?

With everyone fit, I think Eriksen and probably Dele are shoe-ins. That leaves Son, Moura and Lamela to chose between for one spot. All have different attributes for me and selection could depend on the team we are facing.

With everyone fit, I think Eriksen and probably Dele are shoe-ins. That leaves Son, Moura and Lamela to chose between for one spot. All have different attributes for me and selection could depend on the team we are facing.

Don’t disagree but Lamela doesn’t suit bus Parkers IMO

That’s the angle I’m saying

We can’t give players minutes at this point of the season unless we’re cruising

It’s why a Poch didn’t gamble on Toby

It’s also the cup replays didn’t bother me

He has to create that opening though
Against palace it was like watching a crab... sideways and backwards
He played 2 positive passes from memory and they hit placate defenders

Why did we look more threatening when he was off then?

People are seeing something there with him which was the case 18 months ago but has not been since

You don’t play an attacker because he is aggressive

You create that opening by keeping possession and passing the ball trying to draw players out of position.
Or by tackling and winning the ball back early and turning the defence before they reset.
Son can't tackle for toffee and his tracking leaves a lot to be desired.

Back