• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

I liked Erik Lamela before it was cool

I can't remember who it was but I read an interview with one of the players when poch first arrived about how he was teaching them about closing passing lanes with the press, cutting out passing options for whoever was in possession. That's what eriksen is doing, it's not all about tackling.
Because Lamela runs around snapping into tackles don't think that's what everyone has to do.
Eriksen and Lamela suffer in comparison to each because people keep saying well if he can do that why can't the other, they are different players with different skill sets. If there is a player out there with both their strengths we couldn't afford him. If pogba was £86m them that player would be £100m easy.

You saved me some typing there. Eriksen's not an effective tackler (he just dangles a leg most of the time, and that can be disappointing) but it's not his game. He's all about being in the right place at the right time.

If we castigate people for voicing thier opinions - this board will descend into the abyss of never ending international breaks.......

I agree. But if we don't respond to opinions we disagree with, this board will become a groundhog day of Fat Sam managerial appointment!!!!

I agree. But if we don't respond to opinions we disagree with, this board will become a groundhog day of Fat Sam managerial appointment!!!!

It is all about opinions. We can only go on what we have seen and there are many posters who see more games than me so it is important to get that rounded view of where a player is. I rarely offer individual assessments of players performance - the team performance and integration of a player is much more important for me.
Lamella is clearly improving, and making a contribution,and earning a lot of praise. Hope that puts some of the less positive opinions including mine into perspective.

It is all about opinions. We can only go on what we have seen and there are many posters who see more games than me so it is important to get that rounded view of where a player is. I rarely offer individual assessments of players performance - the team performance and integration of a player is much more important for me.
Lamella is clearly improving, and making a contribution,and earning a lot of praise. Hope that puts some of the less positive opinions including mine into perspective.

My opinion is that you spelled his name wrong.

Lamela has been put on this earth to wind-up silly sods like me, mind there are quite a few that do that.
But Erik does the job with great aplomb!

http://www.tottenhamhotspur.com/news/erik-lamela-on-his-form-and-feeling-at-home-101016/

Lamela: "If I can't always play well, I will always run and run for the team".

Erik Lamela feels right at home - and we’ve reaped the benefits over the last 18 months. At the beginning it was very tough, arriving in England, another style of football, another country, another language, said Erik, currently on international duty with Argentina.

I was injured for a long time as well. That was difficult. I played for three months but then I was injured for seven months. That’s football, you need to be strong and keep training.
I feel well now. I feel good at the training ground and after training, I go home and it feels like home. That’s important. I’m always focused. I’m happy and that helps on the pitch." Whatever his form, you’ll never get less than 100% effort from the man from Florida, Buenos Aires.

I try to do my best every game and if I can’t always play well, I try to run and run and always help the team,” he said. We always need to show that we want to win. Indeed, the phrase ‘no I in team’ isn’t lost on the 24-year-old, who will always deflect away any personal praise back onto his team-mates - even after scoring his Rabona!

I always look for the team first. If the team wins, I’m happy. If I play well but we don’t get three points, my feeling isn’t good.

“The most important thing is always to win.”

At the beginning it was very tough, arriving in England, another style of football, another country, another language, said Erik, currently on international duty with Argentina.

I wish some fans would take notice of this when we bring in players from another country, instead of getting on their backs after a few games if they struggle to adjust.

Why?

I would love to see this group of players being tutored by Guardiola.
I doubt we would see the same lackadaisical attitude we saw from the majority last night.
Good thing they weren't tutored by Pep a couple of Sundays ago.

Ah, the joy of being behind on reading the threads. :D

Argentina coaches are really stupid for not making use of Lamela's work rate and creativity. Lamela didn't even get to play when Argentina only drew with Peru and then lost to Paraguay with Aguero missing the penalty. Argentina have always looked toothless whenever Messi doesn't play. So, not sure why Lamela doesn't get to play more for them even if they have more well-known players.

Argentina coaches are really stupid for not making use of Lamela's work rate and creativity. Lamela didn't even get to play when Argentina only drew with Peru and then lost to Paraguay with Aguero missing the penalty. Argentina have always looked toothless whenever Messi doesn't play. So, not sure why Lamela doesn't get to play more for them even if they have more well-known players.

He still hasn't shown it consistently enough in club football in the last 3 seasons to justify being an automatic 1st choice for club or country. He's definitely improved massively but he needs to prove he can be a consistent match winner/occasional goalscorer on a more regular basis.

Love Lamela. So key to Pochettino's game plan but he does need to score more

I was convinced that he would this season. I was expecting a flurry of goals and recommended picking him in fantasy football teams. After all, the tail end of last season, he was really picking up form & he had a good summer.

Not necessarily. If our AM trio are effectively wonky, his extra defensive contribution is allowing Son (previously Chadli) to have a freer licence and to score more.

I don't get that. Surely we want all of our AM to carry a goal scoring threat, why wouldn't we?

A drop of the shoulder and stroking it into the corner of the net like Son did away to Middlesboro, why not?

I don't get that. Surely we want all of our AM to carry a goal scoring threat, why wouldn't we?

A drop of the shoulder and stroking it into the corner of the net like Son did away to Middlesboro, why not?

If it's to do with his execution of decent chances, then fair enough. But we shouldn't complain of his failure to get in those positions when in the system it's the LWF who is detailed to get up closest to Kane/Janssen.

If it's to do with his execution of decent chances, then fair enough. But we shouldn't complain of his failure to get in those positions when in the system it's the LWF who is detailed to get up closest to Kane/Janssen.

It's not so much his execution of his chances, it's the fact that he doesn't always seem to see the opportunity and have an attempt of his own. I love the player, he is the kind of selfless player I'd enjoy playing alongside. I just want him to be even better than what his and I believe to achieve this he has to be a little more selfish minded in the final third.

Back