• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

I liked Erik Lamela before it was cool

I've seen Hazard do this a fair few times, but fair enough. To be honest Im not just talking about literally stationary but just actually possessing the sort of skills to beat a man one on one - from what Ive seen Lamela has close control etc and can go past defenders who are diving in but doesnt have the skills in his locker to beat a locker with pure skill (from what Ive seen so far), there are others beyond Messi who can do this.

That being said I am very appreciative of what he can offer, like his technical ability and his potential does excite me so dont want to look like Im being overly critical....

That is just one way to be truly great though. I hate continuing the Bale comparisons, but getting close and stopping him from getting a run up was a pretty standard way of stopping Bale for other teams just as an example.

I also disagree somewhat that he Lamela doesn't have that ability. Watch the video posted by Mumorn, quite a few times where he beat a man after squaring up to him. Or this beauty from last season:
UnderstatedThriftyCopepod.gif

Not quite stationary, but beating several players with what is pretty much just pure skill and ability. One of the players dives in, but I don't see why that makes the skill any worse?

Not slating him as basically the whole team was ****ing ****e but he does have a bit of a Bentley about him and by that I mean he takes not just one touch too many but five or six step overs too many. Totally not convinced like others on here.

The kid is clearly trying too hard. Always seems to make the easy thing difficult. needs to settle and just try to play team mates in, play simple, but quick balls. Holding onto it too long and getting closed down.

The step over thing is a bit annoying but whats more is the fact he won't take on shots as one of our main attackers. Perhaps we were spoiled watching Bale doing such a great job but we really need someone to take leadership in attack and deliver the goods. Lamelas pace gets him into these positions and he needs to be more direct instead of taking the easy option.

Does anyone have any shot stats for him?

The stepovers annoy me too. Maybe he just needs some time to toughen up and learn when it bust out the tricks and when to be more direct. Not saying he's going go be anywhere near as good, but he's similar to C.Ronaldo in that regard.

I thought he was the only one of ours with any sort of presence in the final third today, albeit that the opportunities to demonstrate it were few and far between, with the Baggies' two lines about three inches apart. We might as well have had a row of fuсking traffic cones there apart from him.

The stepovers annoy me too. Maybe he just needs some time to toughen up and learn when it bust out the tricks and when to be more direct. Not saying he's going go be anywhere near as good, but he's similar to C.Ronaldo in that regard.

[video=youtube;yOcPZvFd1k8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOcPZvFd1k8[/video]

The opponents don't mind to let him get the ball far from the goal , he can do those step over as much as he wants , eventually they'd only committed a foul and conceded a free kick which is 40 yards to the goal.

When he reaches to the final third he's a threat but he needs to speed up and pass the ball quickly outside the final third.

I still think some of his play is suspect -but you couldn't question his effort and movement today.
I'm beginning to think that sometimes he loses the ball because no one else has bothered to make the run and so he ends up hanging onto it for too long.

I still think some of his play is suspect -but you couldn't question his effort and movement today.
I'm beginning to think that sometimes he loses the ball because no one else has bothered to make the run and so he ends up hanging onto it for too long.

Could be and ive always said its the movement that makes a pass not the player with the ball and at times we lacked intelligent movement. I dont want Ade to play next game and get Soldado up there.

I thought he was the only one of ours with any sort of presence in the final third today, albeit that the opportunities to demonstrate it were few and far between, with the Baggies' two lines about three inches apart. We might as well have had a row of fuсking traffic cones there apart from him.

Agreed.

Problem with him today was that we weren't able to feed him the right passes often enough. Caused trouble for WBA very regularly when he got the ball in decent positions.

Also, he needs to work on defending set pieces as he completely lost their player for the goal who looks a little smaller than him.

Re: Official - Lamela

I may be in minority, but it's a nobrainer for me, that Lamela is more gifted and has better potential than overrated cnut Costa.

After the first 5 games it's quite clear you nothing about player quality.

Sent from my iPad using Fapatalk

decision making needs work, he's happy to try and waltz though a full set on occasion but when the ball broke to him near the end with only 1 defender between him and goal he paused and passed inside

hopefully that will come with confidence

My issue with Lamela is that we consistently don't get him the ball quickly enough. There were so many times on Sunday where he was standing in acres of space and screaming for the ball that didn't come quick enough. It happened enough times that everyone at the pub I was watching it at were all talking about it.

By the time, he'd get it, his motion was totally stopped and there were two men in front of him. We need to feed him with passes that he can take in stride so he doesn't have to stop his momentum. Beating a man (often two) from a dead stop is one of the hardest things in football to do, and he is so often forced to do just that, which is when you see the extra step overs. Look at Ronaldo, he'll often break out the stepovers when he is facing two men at a dead stop, and as great as he is, not even he can consistently break through those situations.

We need to get Erik the ball in space and that is simply only going to be done with head-up footballers, who think and pass quickly. It's one of the reasons I'm such a big fan of Bentaleb, who may not be the finished article yet, but is always looking for a quick pass. Dembele isn't that player. Paulinho doesn't look to be that player. It's why I'd imagine we pushed so hard for Schneiderlin and Moutinho in previous years.

We still haven't replaced Modric (obviously a huge ask), but if you watch a Real Madrid game, you can see his massive value. Look at how quickly he gets his head up and finds Ronaldo, Bale, James, etc. We need someone to bypass those midfield lines so our attacking four aren't always going up against 2 stubborn banks of four. We want Lamela (and Chadli, Eriksen, etc) running full steam at full backs who are back-pedaling, and that is the job of the two central midfielders.

My issue with Lamela is that we consistently don't get him the ball quickly enough. There were so many times on Sunday where he was standing in acres of space and screaming for the ball that didn't come quick enough. It happened enough times that everyone at the pub I was watching it at were all talking about it.

By the time, he'd get it, his motion was totally stopped and there were two men in front of him. We need to feed him with passes that he can take in stride so he doesn't have to stop his momentum. Beating a man (often two) from a dead stop is one of the hardest things in football to do, and he is so often forced to do just that, which is when you see the extra step overs. Look at Ronaldo, he'll often break out the stepovers when he is facing two men at a dead stop, and as great as he is, not even he can consistently break through those situations.

We need to get Erik the ball in space and that is simply only going to be done with head-up footballers, who think and pass quickly. It's one of the reasons I'm such a big fan of Bentaleb, who may not be the finished article yet, but is always looking for a quick pass. Dembele isn't that player. Paulinho doesn't look to be that player. It's why I'd imagine we pushed so hard for Schneiderlin and Moutinho in previous years.

We still haven't replaced Modric (obviously a huge ask), but if you watch a Real Madrid game, you can see his massive value. Look at how quickly he gets his head up and finds Ronaldo, Bale, James, etc. We need someone to bypass those midfield lines so our attacking four aren't always going up against 2 stubborn banks of four. We want Lamela (and Chadli, Eriksen, etc) running full steam at full backs who are back-pedaling, and that is the job of the two central midfielders.

It's not just Lamela we don't get the ball to quickly enough, it's everyone. The last time we seen players released quickly was when we had the so called 'Dinosaur' Redknapp in charge, where basically as soon as anyone picked up the ball they looked to release Bale on one side or Lennon on the other. Incidentally this also corresponded with our most exciting period in terms of entertainment. For someone who was apparently so tactically inept he seemed at least capable of working out what our strengths were and playing to them.

Unfortunately the high pressing 4231 game that AVB and Poch both employ doesn't really lend itself to repeatedly releasing players early. However I do think there are some key differences between Poch's 4231 and AVB's which make Poch's better and hopefully more exciting in time. Basically as soon as we win the ball back Poch's team looks to immediately counter attack with pace and release players early. AVB on the other hand looked to regain control of possession first, then build an attack.

The problem with both is that when you play against a team that sits as two banks of four and is happy for you to dominate possession, there is very little space in behind their back four to actually play into. It doesn't matter how quickly you get the ball to players if there is no space in behind for the to exploit.

I do agree with you though, that we need to make a conscious effort to get the ball to our attackers more quickly.

Back