• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

I liked Erik Lamela before it was cool

Re: Official - Lamela

I think so, yes. Him and Lennon looked very, very good. As quick in thought as in feet. I think he'll be excellent this season.

I totally agree. The thing that was most illuminating was his quote after the match.

“I’m very happy, I played without any pain, I felt healthy and it was great to score twice,” Lamela said.

To me, that's the biggest thing. The guy is clearly an incredibly talented footballer, as proven by his performances for Roma, but people forget that he was injured for almost six months last year. When he was fit, he was played sporadically by AVB.

It drives me crazy when I hear that he was a flop or unsettled last season. For Soldado/Paulinho, I don't agree but I understand the criticism. For Lamela, it's totally unfair, considering the amount of games he played last season due to injury.

I'm not saying he's the new Bale, but I'm incredibly excited at the prospect of seeing him week-in and week-out next season.

So he played well today?

I didnt see the game personally but is there a chance that what he did could transfer over to the premier league that i would imagine is very quick paced?

Yes AS, he played well, linked with Soldado, he/Soldado/Lennon all made runs, switching and creating space, great feet, he actually did a bit defensively as well.

Both goals were from him moving from middle out to space on left to receive ball, well hit with left foot.

As some others have mentioned, he seems desperate to prove himself (2nd half after being subbed, he was doing warm ups on sidelines), Poch's biggest task may just be to get him to calm down, accept it will come.

I agree with you SpurSF - not sure what feed you guys all had for the Toronto game but the announcer on my side referred to him several times as an 'underachiever' - very harsh.

I agree with you SpurSF - not sure what feed you guys all had for the Toronto game but the announcer on my side referred to him several times as an 'underachiever' - very harsh.

I am quite happy for pundits, media etc to call him a flop / failure / underachiever because it will be fun watching them all eat humble pie this season

Nice bit of skill from him in yesterday's match;

[video]https://v.cdn.vine.co/r/videos/404AF6EB361104164770841829376_297ec516606.0.3.1738 2637843453167298.mp4?versionId=_c9Roqkraunm3sh5FMG 6tDpeKafpQcCK[/video]

I am quite happy for pundits, media etc to call him a flop / failure / underachiever because it will be fun watching them all eat humble pie this season

Except the ***** won't eat humble pie. The same journo's that called him a flop will be telling the world that they always knew he was quality. Already seen the tone of the DM change this week when they talk about him.

Except the ***** won't eat humble pie. The same journo's that called him a flop will be telling the world that they always knew he was quality. Already seen the tone of the DM change this week when they talk about him.

Exactly this. They will ignore the past criticism as if it never happened.

As much as I want to see him firing at the start of next season, I think we need to take a dose of reality. These pre season games are far from the Premier League pace and level of physicality. He does look stronger and confident which are good signs and Poch has clearly got a soft spot for him, allowing him to drift where he chooses and demand the ball in the same way AvB and Harry let Bale do.

However except for games at home against lower level teams he isn't going to afforded the kind of space and time he currently needs to shine. Work in progress though and definite signs of encouragement.

The way he looked up first before shooting in the bottom corner for his second goal against Toronto was a sign of the quality he possesses.

As much as I want to see him firing at the start of next season, I think we need to take a dose of reality. These pre season games are far from the Premier League pace and level of physicality. He does look stronger and confident which are good signs and Poch has clearly got a soft spot for him, allowing him to drift where he chooses and demand the ball in the same way AvB and Harry let Bale do.

However except for games at home against lower level teams he isn't going to afforded the kind of space and time he currently needs to shine. Work in progress though and definite signs of encouragement.

The way he looked up first before shooting in the bottom corner for his second goal against Toronto was a sign of the quality he possesses.

Quality player, to me, Poch has to give him and Soldado some of the easy games (Cup) early in season to get some goals/good performances behind them.

My hope for Lamela is by second half of season he is making the difference for us.

I get what you're saying, but not everybody here is making decisions/judgements on him based on the last two performances. I know that Serie A is slower, but the defenses are also robust, powerful, and disciplined. It is strange to me that people are worried about his physical strength. I don't really see it. He's skinny, but he's aggressive and kinda wiry. I remember a certain Gareth Bale looking pretty similar around 21/22.

Beyond the last two games, when I watch him, I just really think has all the skills that are inherent in good premier league attacking midfielders: quick feet, quick brain, decent pace, one-touch passing, the ability to ride a tackle at times, and an eye for goal. He scored quite a few for Roma that looked a lot like those goals against Toronto. Gets the ball in the box, looks up, and bang, it's in the corner.

My worry with him is really about fitness and whether we can get him in the best possible role: the free one that really confuses defenders. All the best Premier League teams (and continental ones) seem to do this now, fielding multi-talented, flexible attackers to buzz around and interchange behind an intelligent #9.

To me, Lamela has all the attributes to be one of those. We know that Eriksen is another, and I really think we need one more, especially one with express pace a la Hazard, Sterling, Navas, who can get behind the defense. I think that person is probably not at the club currently (Griezmann? Depay?), but I suppose I'm hopeful that someone like Townsend could grow into that role and possibly replace Lennon. However, I think both players may be to rigid to play Pochettino's system.

I get what you're saying, but not everybody here is making decisions/judgements on him based on the last two performances. I know that Serie A is slower, but the defenses are also robust, powerful, and disciplined. It is strange to me that people are worried about his physical strength. I don't really see it. He's skinny, but he's aggressive and kinda wiry. I remember a certain Gareth Bale looking pretty similar around 21/22.

Beyond the last two games, when I watch him, I just really think has all the skills that are inherent in good premier league attacking midfielders: quick feet, quick brain, decent pace, one-touch passing, the ability to ride a tackle at times, and an eye for goal. He scored quite a few for Roma that looked a lot like those goals against Toronto. Gets the ball in the box, looks up, and bang, it's in the corner.

My worry with him is really about fitness and whether we can get him in the best possible role: the free one that really confuses defenders. All the best Premier League teams (and continental ones) seem to do this now, fielding multi-talented, flexible attackers to buzz around and interchange behind an intelligent #9.

To me, Lamela has all the attributes to be one of those. We know that Eriksen is another, and I really think we need one more, especially one with express pace a la Hazard, Sterling, Navas, who can get behind the defense. I think that person is probably not at the club currently (Griezmann? Depay?), but I suppose I'm hopeful that someone like Townsend could grow into that role and possibly replace Lennon. However, I think both players may be to rigid to play Pochettino's system.

I never quite got the strength thing either, looks plenty strong for a player like that to me.

I think it might be because he was supposed to "replace Bale", had he been signed to "replace VdV" I don't think many would have complained about his strength.

BtnyKu2IIAAxYQr.jpg:large

just saw this pic on social media and being reported in the press as an "unhappy lamela".

obviously the arsenal shirted guy was putting lamela in a difficult position... but what should have been lamela's response? smile as usual and risk the wrath of internet rumours and spurs fans?

obviously the arsenal shirted guy was putting lamela in a difficult position... but what should have been lamela's response? smile as usual and risk the wrath of internet rumours and spurs fans?

It's an impossible situation in this era of social media. Some innocent facial expression or gesture gets misinterpreted by some no-name on twitter and suddenly Lamela is at the centre of a scandal for disrespecting Spurs. Or disrespecting Arsenal fans. Or disrespecting England. Or GHod knows what*.

Don't get me wrong; I know how well-compensated these guys are for whatever hassles they experience. But social media has definitely added to those hassles.

* In this case it seems like it's mostly his own hair he's disrespecting, but that's a whole other issue.

I'd be muy unhappy too if ****s in Arsenal gear wanted me to pose for pictures. Jeez.

Do you know something, I could never, ever envisage a situation where I would want my photo taken with a Gooner player. Seriously, what a saddo.

Cant view the pic at work, but Id hazard a guess this is the usual fuss over nothing...

Exactly that. Spurs player doesn't smile when asked for a photo opportunity by an Arsenal fan.

There must be more transfer stories to make up, erm I mean report on...???

Nice bit of skill from him in yesterday's match;

[video]https://v.cdn.vine.co/r/videos/404AF6EB361104164770841829376_297ec516606.0.3.1738 2637843453167298.mp4?versionId=_c9Roqkraunm3sh5FMG 6tDpeKafpQcCK[/video]

wonderful little bit of skill - thanks for posting

Back