• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

I liked Erik Lamela before it was cool

Re: Erik Lamela - Official

Honestly I'm shocked by the negative reactions in here. I thought he played a great game. Every touch he made seemed to be thought out and have purpose. He could have easily done what Townsend does nearly every possession (cut inside and launch a potshot from way outside the box), but he showed a lot of patience with Tromso parking the bus and didn't try to force the issue. Can't wait to see him play with Eriksen, Paulinho, and Soldado for a whole match.

i agree with almost everything you said here (aside from every touch having purpose) but that to me didnt constitute a "great" game. it was a good / decent / solid all round performance. for me i dont know why people are trying to force the superlatives into what he did yesterday

i agree with almost everything you said here (aside from every touch having purpose) but that to me didnt constitute a "great" game. it was a good / decent / solid all round performance. for me i dont know why people are trying to force the superlatives into what he did yesterday

He had a great game for a 21 year old getting his first start with a new team he's barely practiced with. I assumed we were speaking relatively.

How about we give him more than 90 minutes before deciding if he's any good or not eh

He had a great game for a 21 year old getting his first start with a new team he's barely practiced with. I assumed we were speaking relatively.

right, i'm with you now. take away the price tag and the hype ..and just focusing on the debutant and making allowances for all potential obstacles then yes it was an impressive first time home performance for a 21 year old. cant argue with that

The price isn't his fault, he did fine anyway will be a big player for us embarrassing some of the views on here must be kids with lemala on the back of there new away shirt

The price isn't his fault, he did fine anyway will be a big player for us embarrassing some of the views on here must be kids with lemala on the back of there new away shirt

i'd imagine so, considering the spelling they probably wrote it on there themselves and went nuts when that person didnt even turn up.;)

Blaaady hell! noone is saying get rid, just trying to deflate the hype over a decent performance against a ****e team! If you overhype a player like that you are setting him up to fail. Yes let him settle but that means avoiding putting too much pressure on his shoulders.

The opinions of him in this thread have been fairly bang on with one or two exceptions. Decent game last night, technically he looks very good and he'll need time to settle. Not sure why people are saying "can't believe the opinions in this thread" when most of them are fairly balanced.

The pass to Defoe last night was good but it wasn't superb. The finish was though.

Yeah he did fine. Not amazingly or impressively, just fine , decent debut but thats it. I'll tell you what's embarrising is fans claiming he was amazing after one ok gamw!

Blaaady hell! noone is saying get rid, just trying to deflate the hype over a decent performance against a ****e team! If you overhype a player like that you are setting him up to fail. Yes let him settle but that means avoiding putting too much pressure on his shoulders.

well put.

could really be bothered to respond to any acolytes to be honest. none of them quoted anyone and didnt really offer anything. just straw man aguments

eh?

no it wasnt, it was a pass into the channel, defoe's finish was sublime. the pass into the channel was a good pass....made good only really by the fact that he saw the run when holtby gave him the ball and played it first time

sublime? LOL.....next you'll say that everytime he touches the ball its sublime...talking about forcing the praise

Man, you make it sound so easy to look up before you receive a pass in a crowded area in the final third, spot the run and slot a first touch pass weighted perfectly into that rather tight space for the striker to run on to.

It's certainly not something we've seen other players in our team (apart from Eriksen?) do all that often.

Sublime might be too strong, but considering how frequently people describe something as a "good pass" I think that's too faint to describe it.

------------------------------------

It wasn't a great game though, but a good run out and some very promising signs. To me he seemed very mature. He didn't start taking players on when there was no space to attack, but rather moved the ball quickly and effectively instead. That to me is a good sign, even if there's a part of me that wanted to see him just run at players every chance he got.

Man, you make it sound so easy to look up before you receive a pass in a crowded area in the final third, spot the run and slot a first touch pass weighted perfectly into that rather tight space for the striker to run on to.

It's certainly not something we've seen other players in our team (apart from Eriksen?) do all that often.

Sublime might be too strong, but considering how frequently people describe something as a "good pass" I think that's too faint to describe it.

------------------------------------

It wasn't a great game though, but a good run out and some very promising signs. To me he seemed very mature. He didn't start taking players on when there was no space to attack, but rather moved the ball quickly and effectively instead. That to me is a good sign, even if there's a part of me that wanted to see him just run at players every chance he got.

you kidding? that pass was definately not easy, but that doesnt make it sublime.... it was a good pass..and the pass was good because of what you said. essentially he saw a run and played a first time ball into a channel for a striker to run on to. that there is good...but look at most top teams and their players do those good passes a fair amount , we are just not used to having that

the problem is that i am not polishing his piece with every bit of saliva i can muster. i think thats why me saying that it was a good pass and that it wasnt sublime would make it seem like i said it was an easy thing to do or that he played ****. when he made the pass i was like "good lay off there", i wasnt like "OMG!!! DID YOU SEE THAT!!!"while knocking over the furniture. i did that for eriksen's pass to siggy though...eyes in the back of the head sort of stuff

i agree with the last part of the post........infact i said exactly the same thing

"he had a solid all round team performance,"

"plus yesterday lamela actually played an old man's game. very composed, make good solid and safe decisions, aside from a couple of times he only took on his man when hs chances were in his favour and looked like the right time (which is good decision making), he had very good movement and is clearly very spatially aware, his play was geared towards a team game and keep things ticking over etc. he actually played the game of an experienced footballer "

"having said all that...if we payed 30 million for potential then i can probably understand why. in that lamela plays with more advanced mental understanding and appreciation of the game than his age suggests AND he is very capable of scoring goals and assisting "

...so be careful...people will say you are ****ging him off.

as for people using the word "good" too often. i hate that too. just because of the situation like this

you kidding? that pass was definately not easy, but that doesnt make it sublime.... it was a good pass..and the pass was good because of what you said. essentially he saw a run and played a first time ball into a channel for a striker to run on to. that there is good...but look at most top teams and their players do those good passes a fair amount , we are just not used to having that

(I essentially agree with the rest of your post)

I just think you're underselling it a bit mate, no big deal of course. Eriksen's pass for the second was a good pass for me, because it was a nice pass, but he was given space and time to pick it out. Lamela didn't get that space or time and still managed to find the pass, that makes it a bit more than just a good pass for me.

Yes, most top teams have some players capable of playing that pass. I think that supports my point. It's a pass top players at top clubs make, not your run of the mill everyday "good pass". The vast majority of players, even some good to very good players receive that pass, take a touch and are closed down I think. That makes what Lamela did a bit special.

Although I'll admit I'm of course desperate for him to be great for us so I might be looking for things to praise him for.

(I essentially agree with the rest of your post)

I just think you're underselling it a bit mate, no big deal of course. Eriksen's pass for the second was a good pass for me, because it was a nice pass, but he was given space and time to pick it out. Lamela didn't get that space or time and still managed to find the pass, that makes it a bit more than just a good pass for me.

Yes, most top teams have some players capable of playing that pass. I think that supports my point. It's a pass top players at top clubs make, not your run of the mill everyday "good pass". The vast majority of players, even some good to very good players receive that pass, take a touch and are closed down I think. That makes what Lamela did a bit special.

Although I'll admit I'm of course desperate for him to be great for us so I might be looking for things to praise him for.

actually i didnt say "top players at top team"....i just said "players at top teams"...thats more generic than me saying a small sample set of the best teams have a specific group of people that can pull that off. its more the kind of thing i would say that encompasses most of the technical players out there that have awareness. you know...good players

i have to say , i feel the case to nit pick a bit now that i am being boxed into the corner LOL, not that that is what you mean. lamela didnt have the same amount of time as eriksen to make a decision....and he did have a player close to him...but that pass wasnt exactly blocked off, neither was him receiving the pass...essentially good players can make those good passes

how about this.....compared to most technical players that play in the top 5 or 6 teams in the top 3 leagues that was a good pass. but for us in our team and what we were used to ...it was a bit special

acceptable?

agree with the last bit of you post...but i am coming from an avenue of looking for some kind of vindication on the hype many gave him here. including someone like King dawson whose opinion on assessing ability i respect very much on here

actually i didnt say "top players at top team"....i just said "players at top teams"...thats more generic than me saying a small sample set of the best teams have a specific group of people that can pull that off. its more the kind of thing i would say that encompasses most of the technical players out there that have awareness. you know...good players

i have to say , i feel the case to nit pick a bit now that i am being boxed into the corner LOL, not that that is what you mean. lamela didnt have the same amount of time as eriksen to make a decision....and he did have a player close to him...but that pass wasnt exactly blocked off, neither was him receiving the pass...essentially good players can make those good passes

how about this.....compared to most technical players that play in the top 5 or 6 teams in the top 3 leagues that was a good pass. but for us in our team and what we were used to ...it was a bit special

acceptable?

Unacceptable! ;) Nah, I can agree to that.

Sorry for misunderstanding you with regards to top players and all that...

Unacceptable! ;) Nah, I can agree to that.

Sorry for misunderstanding you with regards to top players and all that...

Dear lord man, dont apologise for that!!! you said nothing wrong ... just that top players in the top teams = world class cAlibre..which is an unnecessary superlative

LOL.

you basically had something more than worthwhile to say, i appreciate that......infinitely more than lazy reading and a simple response of "wow". (actually am making it an excercise in discipline and restraint not to respond to anyone that did that :lol:)

Back