• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

I liked Erik Lamela before it was cool

Re: Erik Lamela - Official

I've only seen the highlights so far, but it looks like Defoe had a chance in a very similar position which he shot low and the keeper saved. The keeper obviously expected JD to do the same again, which makes the finish all the better, in my opinion.

Defoe does deserve credit, I can see him having a new lease of life with players like Lamela/Eriksen/Holtby feeding him. Think that suits his game more than having Bale/Lennon etc running down the line and flashing crosses in.

Defoe does deserve credit, I can see him having a new lease of life with players like Lamela/Eriksen/Holtby feeding him. Think that suits his game more than having Bale/Lennon etc running down the line and flashing crosses in.

I hope so. Defoe has been loyal to us over the years and he's a very, very good striker. I know he frustrates at times with his selfishness but I'd love to see him do well.

Soldado is still settling so Defoe may offer a good alternative if we need it.

It was a very good pass but let's not get too excited. The finish was absolutely exquisite but I'm not sure Defoe will get as much credit for that as he should.

both of his finishes were top notch. Superb

like has been said, Defoe will love the service from Eriksen, Lamela and Holtby too who is doing well in his new position

both of his finishes were top notch. Superb

like has been said, Defoe will love the service from Eriksen, Lamela and Holtby too who is doing well in his new position

Yeah, the good thing about signing these players like Eriksen and Lamela and getting Holtby more involved is that it is bringing out the best in players like Defoe and Sigurdsson who need to be given proper service to have the true impact their skill-set allows them to have.

it was his full debut!?!? He is still a kid

i dont think its a good idea to rely on the opinions of others. You know some people tend to exaggerate. If you personally have never seen him play then you simply have to give the lad a chance to show you what he can do over a period of time and then make your own conclusion.

the price tag was excessive, but hey Bale aint worth 86 mill either no matter how well he did last season!!

thats exactly what i have always intended to do oddly enough. money says you cant find anywhere that i have made a definitive and final judgement on what he is and will become. but i dont see why i need to **** off to him unnecessarily like an excited school kid just yet. not saying you do but a couple of people that easily throw around the big glowing words have. weird.....so touchy that group as well

it is......if Özil had done that imagine the reaction

he had the vision and ability to play that forward pass....its what our forwards have been crying out for

Holtby's through ball for Defoe's second was superb too....perfectly weighted. They seem to have an understanding

ozil does do that...and it still wouldnt be a "sublime" pass, trust me i'm not like you think, i wouldnt drop my jaw on that pass not matter who did it, i mean how old are we? 12? only kids over praise something due to the name brand in football.........he played it well into a channel and defoe did the really hard part

honestly, you guys are easily taken in by marketing. i would encourage you to watch the better teams and look at how often balls like that are played all over the pitch

Last edited:

For what it's worth. I've seen enough of Lamela to be very excited by what he is capable of. Whether he does it or not, is down to him. I have no idea of his attitude, but he has very quick feet, from yesterday I saw he can play with his head up and pick a pass too. Very encouraging. He has an assist to his name already, what's not to be pleased about.

I don't think it will do us any favours by judging him by his price tag. We need him to be free to just find his feet and his own pace in this side and league, and not be weighed down by what we expect from a £30m player. Expectation is heightened because he has shown the ability to have attracted interest from around the globe. I look forward to a lot more.

but then what's the harm in saying we didnt get 30 million pounds worth in yesterdays game? you realise that's pretty much all thats been said.....and it's true to boot. but somehow some guys have their panties in a bunch cause we wont kneel at the alter so easily

LOL, this is crazy:lol:

Funny how I do not remember you or anybody else do not remember anyone have an issue with Lennon running down the line and flashing in crosses for at least 4 of Defoe's 5 goals against Wigan in the 9:1 victory a few years ago.

but then what's the harm in saying we didnt get 30 million pounds worth in yesterdays game? you realise that's pretty much all thats been said.....and it's true to boot. but somehow some guys have their panties in a bunch cause we wont kneel at the alter so easily

LOL, this is crazy:lol:

But then I would suggest it would be rather foolhardy for anybody to actually expect that in his first start, especially ina player that does not speak English. Besides it is obvious that most of that £30m is based on his enormous potential rather than just his current potential

I thought we were getting a player who was going to tear it up down the wings ala Bale - but he strikes me maybe as more 'cute' than that and more guile. Yesterday was evidence of that then again it was his first real game.

As far as im concerned he will take a while to slowly integrate into this team, im sure the language barrier doesnt help. He is going to be the slowest in terms of adapting to this team which means the pressure, especialy as a 30m man, may well increase.

The important thing is that AVB is aware of both his current ability and potential, and has indicated on anumber of occasions that Lamela will need time to settle. Only the most shallow of Tottenham fans and media types will start putting pressure on him so early. Kind of like the muppets who were whinging about Sandro after his debute for us against Arsenal in the league cup

Give the boy (because, in football terms, that is what he is) TIME. Baldini was based at Roma before he came to us, he knows what Lamela is capable of, he also knows what AVB wanted in terms of technical ability for the team. Lets sit back and wait for the lad to develop, there is no need for kneejerk in this thread!

a good full debut. Id like to see him on the left side as well, i have a feeling he might be very effective there

he is only 21 people, cant speak a word of English, and is new to the country and English football. Please can we give him all the time he needs to adapt???

My sentiments exactly.

Personally I have no qualms about this signing.

But then I would suggest it would be rather foolhardy for anybody to actually expect that in his first start, especially ina player that does not speak English.

Besides it is obvious that most of that £30m is based on his enormous potential rather than just his current potential

why was the bit underlined obvious? it wasnt obvious to me. the reviews on here made it out like he was significantly better than anything we had save for bale...and that he would pretty much deliver straight away. how are ordinary folk that dont watch footy as much as we would like supposed to know its only potential and not current ability

you do make a good point about the english thing and the fact it was his first start but funny enough yesterday he looked like he had been playing with the team for months so that couldnt have been that much of an issue.

even factoring that i was still expecting more personally from him yesterday

Last edited:

Both Henry and Bergkamp needed sometime to settle at Arsenal but once they had settled they did not do badly now did they.

And bringing it closer to home do you guys remember when we signed Gary Lineker from Barca? A World class striker, a goal scorer extradnoire. Guess what? He did not score on his league debute? Nor in his second, third or fourth match? When the whistle went at the end of his sixxth match he was still without a goal. I was on his side, I knew he would come good but the mindless hoardes were baying for blood. Next match again he failed to hit the back of the net. So think about it Gary Lineker the golden boy of English football 7 league matches no goals. By this time he was getting slaughtered, but I kept the faith. Next league game he scored, and continued scoring, and eventually won the golden boot that season.

All I am saying is give the boy time, to do otherwise is just stupidity.

ozil does do that...and it still wouldnt be a "sublime" pass, trust me i'm not like you think, i wouldnt drop my jaw on that pass not matter who did it, i mean how old are we? 12? only kids over praise something due to the name brand in football.........he played it well into a channel and defoe did the really hard part

honestly, you guys are easily taken in by marketing. i would encourage you to watch the better teams and look at how often balls like that are played all over the pitch

Defoe.... "Erik, what a ball! He was waiting for my run. We worked on it in training. I just had to finish."

im not an England international striker with plenty of PL experience and goals so il let Defoe get overexcited by such a simple pass

Both Henry and Bergkamp needed sometime to settle at Arsenal but once they had settled they did not do badly now did they.

And bringing it closer to home do you guys remember when we signed Gary Lineker from Barca? A World class striker, a goal scorer extradnoire. Guess what? He did not score on his league debute? Nor in his second, third or fourth match? When the whistle went at the end of his sixxth match he was still without a goal. I was on his side, I knew he would come good but the mindless hoardes were baying for blood. Next match again he failed to hit the back of the net. So think about it Gary Lineker the golden boy of English football 7 league matches no goals. By this time he was getting slaughtered, but I kept the faith. Next league game he scored, and continued scoring, and eventually won the golden boot that season.

All I am saying is give the boy time, to do otherwise is just stupidity.

this is starting to get disturbing. i feel like its some kind of rendition of stepford wives.

answer me this, who is refusing to give him time?

Defoe.... "Erik, what a ball! He was waiting for my run. We worked on it in training. I just had to finish."

im not an England international striker with plenty of PL experience and goals so il let Defoe get overexcited by such a simple pass

a simple pass? who called it that?..you need to point out the part where its described as a simple pass...otherwise i'm going for the assumption you dont have much to stand on and made it up

and this is the first time you've heard a team mate heap praise on his team mates? Jeez, so now when your team mate or coach even says something...there is no factoring in for a little bit of friendly bias

I think a few of our senior posters are just being argumentative

- Lamela had a decent game, couple of good balls, but also struggled a bit to impose himself
- Some people want to be free to critique that, I think the concerns that other folk have is Spurs fans (especially on this forum), can be fickle and judgmental and will quickly go to "he's ****, flop, barely a championship level player", etc. etc.)

Good news is Eriksen has seeming settled quickly, so Lamela has a bit of time to get settled, get comfortable and grow into the player we think he might become.

Back