• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

I liked Erik Lamela before it was cool

Re: Erik Lamela - Official

I'm sorry i don't see it. Thought he looked decent today but was peripheral today against a tromso team that were dire. Certainly not writing the guy off but saw nothing today that left me impressed. What did he do to warrant your praise?

I feel confident he will come good but nothing today made me think wow that was impressive. Not like defoe, holtby or eriksen at any rate!

The ball through to Defoe? That was sublime, he put Sigurdsson in as well but he didn't make the most of it. No he didn't run from one end of the pitch to the other before banging it in the corner like Bale but his touch/control/vision etc were all there to see, AVB's building a pass and move side where the work is done off the ball, so you're not going to see Lamela get the ball and run by four defenders all that often.

Not going to pretend he was great tonight but a couple of promising signs. Against this sort of opposition I would really be expecting him to run riot but it is really early days.

Most are on the money about him not being found when he's knocked the ball inside and expected the one-two and some of his short range passing was excellent. However, don't like the fact that he seems unwilling to beat a player or just whip in a cross. My main worry is his first touch left a lot to be desired a few times.

Still has a lot of adjusting to do and think he'll come good.

i dont see the 30 million pound big deal about this guy

What do you expect to see for £30m? Genuine question.

For me I would say we're looking at the potential and his age and what he could mature into. He isn't as experienced as Eriksen I would imagine despite being the same age. The fee will always have been inflated to some degree

Not going to pretend he was great tonight but a couple of promising signs. Against this sort of opposition I would really be expecting him to run riot but it is really early days.

Most are on the money about him not being found when he's knocked the ball inside and expected the one-two and some of his short range passing was excellent. However, don't like the fact that he seems unwilling to beat a player or just whip in a cross. My main worry is his first touch left a lot to be desired a few times.

Still has a lot of adjusting to do and think he'll come good.

Not sure he was unwilling to beat his man just that they sat so deep it was obvious that if he beat one he'd run into two or three so better just to lay it inside and go for the return

People already judging him based on his transfer fee.
The kid (21) needs time to settle in North European football so different to Argentina and Italy. He's had a full week of training with the squad so far too.

I'm sorry i don't see it. Thought he looked decent today but was peripheral today against a tromso team that were dire. Certainly not writing the guy off but saw nothing today that left me impressed. What did he do to warrant your praise?

I feel confident he will come good but nothing today made me think wow that was impressive. Not like defoe, holtby or eriksen at any rate!

What about the first time pass for the first goal. If Ozil had done that, the media would be going mad.

I thought he would be more of a dribbler than a passer and he may turn out to be.

He was decent and showed some nice touches, was not playing anything like flat out IMO.

Might quite super match fit yet.

Guys, that was his first full 90 minutes in a Tottenham shirt. How can people honestly make such firm opinions on whether he's worth the money we spent or not is beyond me. Give the lad a chance!

Think Lamela would be best central. But unfortunately for Lamela, Eriksen looks even better there. We've got Siggy, Chadli,Lennon, and Townsend for the wide men in a 4-2-3-1.
So right now we've got a £30m record signing that doesn't really have an automatic place.

In some games I'd like to see us line up with midfield of:

---------------------- Sandro
-------------Eriksen--------Lamela
----Lennon/Townsend------------Siggy/Chadli
---------------------Soldado

People already judging him based on his transfer fee.
The kid (21) needs time to settle in North European football so different to Argentina and Italy. He's had a full week of training with the squad so far too.

This. This. And this again.

Rather than feeling downhearted about Lamela we should feel very very grateful/excited that Eriksen seems to have settled immediately and so comfortably because this is the rarer of the two scenarios.

Isn't Lamela quite well known to have a delicate constitution? Like, he works hard, has a great team ethic but can be a little fragile mentally. Let him settle in to a NEW COUNTRY for chrissakes, he probably still has no idea what's going on since he thought he'd be at Roma right now. The move came as a shock to him by all accounts.

And in terms of experience, he's practically a child compared to the wise old head of Eriksen :lol: He's the same age as our very own Alex Pritchard, so can we not demand he run riot and score a Balegoal in his very first game? I watched Barkley on his debut for Everton and he looked awful in every sense, misplaced easy passes left and right and had no control at all, now he's finally showing his real talent because he's gained some maturity, lost the nerves, and can play his natural game again.

I love the fact he always looks to release the ball quickly, never takes two touches when he only needs one. It is this type of incisive play we have been missing since Luka left to be honest, and I think at times the combination play with Holtby, Siggy and Defoe was very impressive.

He also displays great movement, much more so than I expected, and that is really promising.

Sure, he hasn't caught the eye in terms of turning defenders in-side out and rampaging up and down the wing, but he has displayed creativity, awareness, technical ability and above all, a progressive footballing mind - and that's all the more impressive for someone so young, relatively inexperienced, and in a new team and country.

If we acted on our first impressions, Gareth Bale would have been sold-off to Birmingham City for just a couple of million quid.

Honestly I'm shocked by the negative reactions in here. I thought he played a great game. Every touch he made seemed to be thought out and have purpose. He could have easily done what Townsend does nearly every possession (cut inside and launch a potshot from way outside the box), but he showed a lot of patience with Tromso parking the bus and didn't try to force the issue. Can't wait to see him play with Eriksen, Paulinho, and Soldado for a whole match.

The ball through to Defoe? That was sublime
eh?

no it wasnt, it was a pass into the channel, defoe's finish was sublime. the pass into the channel was a good pass....made good only really by the fact that he saw the run when holtby gave him the ball and played it first time

sublime? LOL.....next you'll say that everytime he touches the ball its sublime...talking about forcing the praise

What do you expect to see for £30m? Genuine question.

for 30 million something more than just a solid , fairly technical and intelligent , team player

not sure what it is as all players are different and contribute to a team in different ways...but for 30 million and supreme hype given to this guy.....you would have thought that he would stick out more.

case in point , most of his passes when pressed were passed to safety and seem to be possession based driven, passes through corridors of opposition were only short ones...nothing that stood out that made you think...."whoa...", his first time passes were good to see but not really often enough..but that could easily be because of his team mates being viable options, havent seen his right foot and people said he was two footed....(holtby is two footed), a couple of times in isolation he tried to take on his guy and it quite frankly didnt even look like it was going to work...if it had come off though i would have been like "what the ****!!!!"

he's playing with guys tha are half his value or less and he doesnt stand out from them. if you were to ask someone not familiar with lamela to watch that game and totenham for the first time and said "did you see our record signing?" they'll probably say "not sure, what position did he play? i liked the guy in the middle though"

he had a solid all round team performance, nothing distinguishable for me

the irony is that even though eriksen has more experience than him both are roughly the same age and lamela has played in a "top league" longer...plus yesterday lamela actually played an old man's game. very composed, make good solid and safe decisions, aside from a couple of times he only took on his man when hs chances were in his favour and looked like the right time (which is good decision making), he had very good movement and is clearly very spatially aware, his play was geared towards a team game and keep things ticking over etc. he actually played the game of an experienced footballer

for 30 million? i would like more innovation, more confidence and bravery, more assertion on the game...when holtby first joined us.....and i think it was his debut against norwich ...he did this touch that set the team off and we scored...even with that i was like "this guy gives us more"..and i have always stuck by holtby even when the knee jerkers wanted him out.
you have to know your a 30 million pound player ...otherwise you dont play like it...you dont seperate yourself from the heard.

having said all that...if we payed 30 million for potential then i can probably understand why. in that lamela plays with more advanced mental understanding and appreciation of the game than his age suggests AND he is very capable of scoring goals and assisting (from a team building aspect with regards to the assist, speaking of which ....he looks more like a central player to me as opposed to a wing forward. maybe we need to have a look at his there?)

Last edited:

Guys, that was his first full 90 minutes in a Tottenham shirt. How can people honestly make such firm opinions on whether he's worth the money we spent or not is beyond me. Give the lad a chance!

am glad you put the word firm there.

i have read through and i havent seen any firm opinions from anyone......just that so far he doesnt look like a record signing

Back