• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Hugo Lloris

Re: Hugo Lloris - part two

GKs are always cheap/underpriced.

Only 4 GKs in history have been sold for more than £10m (or more than Ross McCormack!). We wouldn't get more than £15m for him no matter how good he is.

This was covered in the previous lloris thread GB, shall I copy my (and numerous others) original argument as well and we go through it all again?!

Are you seriously saying that if someone came in and offered 15m for him then we'd sell? I personally think that's mental but there you go.

GKs are always cheap/underpriced.

Only 4 GKs in history have been sold for more than £10m (or more than Ross McCormack!). We wouldn't get more than £15m for him no matter how good he is.

Isn't the Benfica goalkeeper about to move for nearly 20 mill?

History is just that, history. Things change over time and the price of players is going up all the time. Plus with all the new money in football from increasing TV revenues, higher income from global market exposure, billionaire investors, transfer fees will just increase and increase.

Because being happy and settled is more important to him than money? All people have different career anchors (Edgar Schein is a good read on this).

Lloris didn't want to leave Lyon - Lyon needed the money. As he and his family are settled here now, he could feasibly be with us for the next 7-8 years.

I'd like to think your right but unfortunately nothing means more to footballers than money surely it's naive to assume otherwise? If he's accepted that he might not play CL in the next 5 years and put his families happiness first then great.

This was covered in the previous lloris thread GB, shall I copy my (and numerous others) original argument as well and we go through it all again?!

Are you seriously saying that if someone came in and offered 15m for him then we'd sell? I personally think that's mental but there you go.

No. But no one would pay more than £15m for him. We got him for £9m, and he's not that much better/more high profile now.

It's just the market on GK has always been deflated. Compared to a typical outfield player, you double the price for CFs and half the price for goalkeepers - that's just the market forces.

Isn't the Benfica goalkeeper about to move for nearly 20 mill?

History is just that, history. Things change over time and the price of players is going up all the time. Plus with all the new money in football from increasing TV revenues, higher income from global market exposure, billionaire investors, transfer fees will just increase and increase.

But it's still relative. You can't buy a run-of-the-mill CF for under £25m now. But you can buy a worldclass GK for £8-9m.

I'd like to think your right but unfortunately nothing means more to footballers than money surely it's naive to assume otherwise? If he's accepted that he might not play CL in the next 5 years and put his families happiness first then great.

Some players still have integrity (Paul Scholes and his attitude to agents for example). Some players also just like staying as big fish in small ponds (e.g. Le Tissier).

It's just the market on GK has always been deflated. Compared to a typical outfield player, you double the price for CFs and half the price for goalkeepers - that's just the market forces.

But it's still relative. You can't buy a run-of-the-mill CF for under £25m now. But you can buy a worldclass GK for £8-9m.

A run of the mill centre forward for under 25 mill? Like Mandzukic who just signed for A Madrid for 17 mill? Id guess you consider Remy as run of the mill and he is available for 8 mill

Every transfer is different, but in Lloris case you have to consider he is very highly rated, captain of France, now on a long contract, and Daniel Levy is his chairman. Put all these things together and I'd say if Lloris left in a year or two then 20 mill is the lowest figure we would accept.

Like I said, the Slovenian Benfica keeper who I've never even heard of, Oblak, is about to move for nearly 20 mill. Puts things into perspective doesn't it

History does side with you GB but considering a 25 year old GK could play for potentially 10 years a £30m (£3m per season) transfer would appear to be a great deal.

A run of the mill centre forward for under 25 mill? Like Mandzukic who just signed for A Madrid for 17 mill? Id guess you consider Remy as run of the mill and he is available for 8 mill

Every transfer is different, but in Lloris case you have to consider he is very highly rated, captain of France, now on a long contract, and Daniel Levy is his chairman. Put all these things together and I'd say if Lloris left in a year or two then 20 mill is the lowest figure we would accept.

Like I said, the Slovenian Benfica keeper who I've never even heard of, Oblak, is about to move for nearly 20 mill. Puts things into perspective doesn't it

I agree there can be exceptions (de Gea for example was well overpriced), but this is the data on GK prices: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goalkeeper_(association_football)#Highest_fees

Since the first thread was closed, here's some great news in a new thread: \o/

New deal for Hugo

We are delighted to announce that Hugo Lloris has committed his future to the Club with the signing of a new five-year contract.

Hugo joined from Lyon in August 2012 and has since made 78 appearances in our colours, with his performances in goal making him a firm favourite of the fans.

The 27-year-old French national team captain has just led his country to the quarter-final stage of the World Cup in Brazil and will now enjoy a short break before returning to begin his pre-season training programme with new Head Coach Mauricio Pochettino.

“I spoke with the Chairman and I know the Club is as ambitious as ever,” said Hugo. “It’s very important to feel at home at a club and for my family to feel well. I enjoy a great relationship with the Club and the fans. The arrival of Mauricio Pochettino is important as well. I have a good feeling with him. He is also ambitious.

"Everything is clear in my head and if I’ve signed a new contract it’s because I trust the Club and I’m sure we will progress in a positive way.

“Last season wasn’t the season we all hoped for but we were still able to finish sixth in the league. We know where we have to improve, the Club also knows and there is a feeling and a confident connection between the Club and the players.”

That'll cost Real a few quid in August.

Really good news. I feel like I felt when Robbo signed his gargantuan deal with us

Great news! Very happy to hear this.

I'm not sure I'd say he's categorically the best keeper I've seen at Spurs (Jennings was fantastic, Robinson had a season where he could do no wrong, and Gomes - on his best day - was unbeatable) but he's "up there" with the best; and from the standpoint of consistent quality, probably only Jennings really compares.

Once again - Great great news!

should have made him captain at the same time really

Nah - Dawson has got to stay club captain.

But give it to Lloris if Daws is out of the team (Sandro isn't serious enough and Verts doesn't lead when he's not on top of his game).

That'll cost Real a few quid in August.

:lol:

I'm leaning towards Gutter Boy on this one: goalies aren't often very expensive. However, for Real I'm sure Levy will make an exception, given the dearness and closeness of our 'relationship'.

Back