• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Hugo Lloris

Re: Hugo Lloris - part two

will be good if lloris could influence some up and coming french starlets, we need a ginola mk II !

You can tell by the tone of the guys voice that he's a fat speculating **** who has no real insight or knowledge about what either Levy, Lloris or Vorm are thinking. He also says that Lloris is likely to depart after this season which is even more laughable. As if anyone knows what will happen in football in a years time. We could be preparing for a season in the Championship or making big name signings in preparation for a Champions League season.

You can tell by the tone of the guys voice that he's a fat speculating **** who has no real insight or knowledge about what either Levy, Lloris or Vorm are thinking. He also says that Lloris is likely to depart after this season which is even more laughable. As if anyone knows what will happen in football in a years time. We could be preparing for a season in the Championship or making big name signings in preparation for a Champions League season.
Can't see him leaving this summer, but it's highly unlikely he's here when the 15/16 season starts. It's very common for star players to sign new contracts at clubs they're "too good" to play for nowadays, just to make it easier for the player to be sold and of course beneficial for the selling club in terms of transfer money.

Can't see him leaving this summer, but it's highly unlikely he's here when the 15/16 season starts. It's very common for star players to sign new contracts at clubs they're "too good" to play for nowadays, just to make it easier for the player to be sold and of course beneficial for the selling club in terms of transfer money.

Yes, contracts have nothing to do with whether players stay or go. BUt I don't think anyone can predict who will stay or go. As other posters in this thread have said, we might be CL qualified for 15/16 and that might be attractive to Lloris. Or not. Only Olde Mistress Time will tell.

I don't know how this thread hasn't been bumped yet, but imo should get second honors for MOTM after that save midway through the second to keep it all square at 0's.

Was a fantastic save.

That was as good as a goal. Amazing save because of his lightning reflexes and smart reading. I'd actually like to see him as captain.

Good game, thinks, communicates with defenders (couple of times he was telling them his mind)

Also, most importantly, he adapts to style/instructions. Last season some here and pundits gave him **** for always coming off his line, interestingly he does not do it for France (in WC) and yesterday he didn't either (other than when absolutely required), so obvious he was following orders last season.

Good game, thinks, communicates with defenders (couple of times he was telling them his mind)

Also, most importantly, he adapts to style/instructions. Last season some here and pundits gave him **** for always coming off his line, interestingly he does not do it for France (in WC) and yesterday he didn't either (other than when absolutely required), so obvious he was following orders last season.

Yep, last season we were playing with a high line and using Hugo as a sweeper keeper.

This season so far, the line is not so high, despite me reading from many an expert pre-season, Poch was going to play s high line, and we'd be doing lots of pressing, even with the CBs.

Well they've been wrong about the high line so far, and while we we were pressing somewhat pre-season, I didn't see our CBs doing much of it. In our first competitive game yesterday, no high line, and no more pressing from the team than what you'd expect from any team in the Prem.

I remember how wrong many of the experts were when they predicted how AVB would get us playing, compared to what he delivered. Be interesting to see how we play this season, compared to the predictions.

Yep, last season we were playing with a high line and using Hugo as a sweeper keeper.

This season so far, the line is not so high, despite me reading from many an expert pre-season, Poch was going to play s high line, and we'd be doing lots of pressing, even with the CBs.

Well they've been wrong about the high line so far, and while we we were pressing somewhat pre-season, I didn't see our CBs doing much of it. In our first competitive game yesterday, no high line, and no more pressing from the team than what you'd expect from any team in the Prem.

I remember how wrong many of the experts were when they predicted how AVB would get us playing, compared to what he delivered. Be interesting to see how we play this season, compared to the predictions.

Consistent high team pressing against a team like West Ham makes little sense as they will just hoof it long most of the time anyway. No need to commit a lot of players forward when just a few will do. High team pressing when down to 10 men against a team like West Ham would make even less sense.

I don't think we will press high all the time, very few teams do.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by CBs pressing?

Consistent high team pressing against a team like West Ham makes little sense as they will just hoof it long most of the time anyway. No need to commit a lot of players forward when just a few will do. High team pressing when down to 10 men against a team like West Ham would make even less sense.

I don't think we will press high all the time, very few teams do.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by CBs pressing?

I think he means pushing up and compacting the space for the opposition.

I think he means pushing up and compacting the space for the opposition.

But isn't that a necessary part of pressing high as a team? The whole team has to push up and get close to "their man". The front 3/4 pressing high up the pitch and the defenders sitting deep is suicidal.

But isn't that a necessary part of pressing high as a team? The whole team has to push up and get close to "their man". The front 3/4 pressing high up the pitch and the defenders sitting deep is suicidal.

Yep, not disagreeing at all - just attempting to translate. Apologies to Selfie if I've misrepresented what you're trying to say.

_76984226_marknoble1.jpg

last season's kit :-k

so i having a huge gap between the last man and keeper!

van gaal's holland showed us how to play against the high line in the world cup: the traditional ball behind the advancing CB tracking a decoy, and dribbling/quick passing through the centre before releasing the through ball in the ensuing chaos.

not saying that pressing high is bad but with the game evolving and awareness of the high line pressing routine, we should have more tools in our locker.

maybe we will revert to some old style strategies where teams used to watch the clocks: e.g. 1st 15 minutes all out attack, 2nd 15 sit back get a breather , 3rd 15 minutes sit back and counter etc...where we have different formations and occupy different parts of the pitch.

Yep, not disagreeing at all - just attempting to translate. Apologies to Selfie if I've misrepresented what you're trying to say.

Hi Scara, any help gratefully accepted. I don't know exactly what 'Poch's pressing CBs' are supposed to look like, but I didn't see evidence v West Ham of some kind of unique pressing, that was anything different to what you'd expect from a Prem defence.

To reiterate my point is, various experts said we could expect a high line from Poch, haven't noticed that at all. Some also said there was a big emphasis on pressing which would involve all the outfield players. Well I saw some emphasis on pressing pre-season, but didn't notice anything out of the ordinary from the CBs pre-season, but during the West Ham game we didn't look a noticeably pressing team at all.

So to sum up, Poch's team plays a high line, except when it doesn't, Poch's players are all involved in a high energy pressing game, except when they aren't :)

Apart from having a bit of fun with the experts and gurus of cyberland, there is a bit more serious side to my points. One, many announced Dawson couldn't play for 'Poch's team', so had to leave, but I've not seen anything to back up that assertion. Two, the experts got quite a lot of egg on their collective faces when they described how AVB's team would play, and in fact AVB's Spurs weren't like the team they described. Three, it might do some 'eggsperts' a favour to wait a while and see how a team actually plays under a manager before they start their in-depth analyses. Four, a key point to me, is the players you have available. Some of the reasons why AVB's Spurs didn't fit the experts' template is we didn't have a Moutinho type player, nor a Hulk/Falcao style player. Following on from this, is Eriksen suited to a pressing game, is Ade, is Kane, Lennon might be, but together with Rose, still couldn't press enough to stop Downing getting in a lot of crosses. Questions, questions, in time we'll get the answers, some may not like them as with AVB, who decided Dawson, couldn't play in his high line, then changed his mind. Maybe he should have kept Daws and ditched the high line? Maybe not? There were pros and cons for the high line, but by the end it looked like the Maginot line, and the General had to go. AVB also famously had problems with Terry and the high line, well Terry's still at Chelsea and they are favourites along with City for the title.

I'm all for in-depth analysis, even though most of the time I don't read them, as being an old git, a lot of it just passes me by. But when I do take the effort to read them and they prove to be substantially wrong, then being a grumpy old git, I can't but help point out the Emperor has new clothes. Yes it was a kid in the the original story, but no need to let facts get in the way ;)

Last edited:
Back