• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Hugo Lloris

The only thing that worries me about his error today is the fact that it happened against one of the so called "smaller clubs". His mistakes typically only happen when we're playing one of the big 6.

I think we could do with a good young keeper to push Hugo for his place. Almost all other players in the squad have someone pushing them, probably bar Kane and Hugo. Kane’s on another planet but Lloris could do with the competition imo. He’s not been of a high enough standard this season, though I think he is still a good keeper.

It sounds like we will get this Lopez person who people have described on here as the next top Spanish keeper coming through so I guess that's the long term successor if he develops as expected.

Despite the recent mistakes- neither of which cost us points - we are lucky to have Lloris. He will no doubt work hard to eradicate brain farts and continue to make many great saves (like the low hard one from Alonso) and keep us in games.

De Gea is the best in the world and just gave away a goal. It happens.

They keep telling us this. He made a save against City which barely required him to dive and the commentator was like, "that's because he's the best in the world". He loves to play up for the cameras, his kicking is bang average and I've seen Ederson put his body on the line more than De Gea ever has. He's got great reflexes and uses his feet well to make saves, that's about it.

https://www.joe.ie/sport/david-de-gea-twitter-man-utd-621839

This is the save I was referring to. Save of the season my arse. He goes with the wrong hand and barely has to dive.

I watched it and thought the same thing
I’ve said it loads but people think I’m anti him... he is the best shot stopper but he doesn’t command his area at all and deals with crosses like a vampire (worse than Hugo by some way)

What he does do is park himself in his 6 hard box and make spectacular saves (some lucky ones too)

All keepers have strengths and weaknesses but his don’t got exposed as much as he doesn’t go out of his comfort zone

I think we could do with a good young keeper to push Hugo for his place. Almost all other players in the squad have someone pushing them, probably bar Kane and Hugo. Kane’s on another planet but Lloris could do with the competition imo. He’s not been of a high enough standard this season, though I think he is still a good keeper.
Vorm is a pretty good under study.

Statistics - if he would not have come for that ball (he had no chance getting) against Chelsea, it would have been the same outcome ball in the bottom corner but it would not have been a "goalkeeping error". I would rather the keeper be proactive and look a bit stupid sometimes myself.

*I would have preferred he caught the ball but watching it back its just a good cross, cant see a lot wrong with his starting position.

Statistics - if he would not have come for that ball (he had no chance getting) against Chelsea, it would have been the same outcome ball in the bottom corner but it would not have been a "goalkeeping error". I would rather the keeper be proactive and look a bit stupid sometimes myself.

*I would have preferred he caught the ball but watching it back its just a good cross, cant see a lot wrong with his starting position.

The bottom line is if you're a goalkeeper and you come for a cross then you have to get the ball, really is that simple.

I said at the time I think his starting position was wrong, but if he had stayed on his line it might have enabled Sanchez to make a better challenge for the ball.

It’s a fine line for keepers I guess, if he stayed on his line v Stoke judging by their other efforts in front of goal he might have had an easy save to make and like you say would not go down as keeper error.

It’s not just goals conceded we should be looking at though, goalkeepers make other mistakes where good fortune, ‘striker error’ or a defenders reaction prevents it being punished. All keepers will make a mistake that leads to a goal, the time we have an issue is if we feel they are making errors / bad decisions regularly enough to make the team feel uneasy.

yes, but if he stayed on his line it would have been a goal anyway just not attributing him an error - commenting on how statistics can be misleading in isolation, especially "goalkeeper error".

Morata headed the ball in from inside the 6 yard box. Goalies are taught from a young age that the 6 yard box is their domain and they should boss it. He did the right thing coming for the ball, he just didn't get there in time which I'm afraid goes down as an error on his part.

It sounds like we will get this Lopez person who people have described on here as the next top Spanish keeper coming through so I guess that's the long term successor if he develops as expected.

I think GB might be getting a little ahead of himself when he talks about Lopez like that. He barely featured for us at any level when he was on loan here last year.

Morata headed the ball in from inside the 6 yard box. Goalies are taught from a young age that the 6 yard box is their domain and they should boss it. He did the right thing coming for the ball, he just didn't get there in time which I'm afraid goes down as an error on his part.
I have re-watched it a few times, to me the starting position is good and he has done all he can to get the ball, its just a good cross.

"Goalies are taught from a young age that the 6 yard box is their domain and they should boss it" - point still stands if he stayed on his line this would not go down as a goalkeeping error, even though it probably should do as he has not bossed his domain. When looking at the statistics a Goalkeeper who always stays on his line would probably have better stats but would be a worse keeper than the alternative. Stats don't tell the full story and can sometimes be counter productive in isolation.

Some of the criticism is harsh on Lloris here. I listen to the No.1 Podcast and they look at most goalkeeping talking points from each weekend.

Here is what was said about Hugo's "error" at the weekend. This is from a ex-goalkeeper who actually knows what he's talking about.

David Preece‏Verified account @davidpreece12 Apr 7
Again with the “Lloris error”. Is it really an error? I don’t think so. Right decision to come. Right decision to try and clear. Unfortunate result. #MOTD

If you follow him on Twitter you'll see a good piece on the Chelsea "error" as well. Actually has some detailed analysis on why Morata scored and who (if anyone) made errors.

Back