• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Hugo Lloris

Should Les Bleus emerge victorious, Hugo will become the first ever individual to both play in and win a major international tournament final while on our books. The great Jimmy Greaves was, of course, part of England's 1966 FIFA World Cup-winning squad but did not feature in the Final, while Christian Ziege came on as a substitute for Germany in the 2002 World Cup Final – only to end up on the losing side, with Brazil claiming the trophy.

Whaaaat?! Insane statistic. There must be a boatload of world cup/euro winners out there, and we've only got two?! brick. Not such a big club afterall, eh? (takes cover and waits for the reprimands to rain in)

Klinsmann won the world cup in 90 and Freund the euros in 96 just off the top of my head, but not while contracted to us of course.

Should Les Bleus emerge victorious, Hugo will become the first ever individual to both play in and win a major international tournament final while on our books. The great Jimmy Greaves was, of course, part of England's 1966 FIFA World Cup-winning squad but did not feature in the Final, while Christian Ziege came on as a substitute for Germany in the 2002 World Cup Final – only to end up on the losing side, with Brazil claiming the trophy.

Whaaaat?! Insane statistic. There must be a boatload of world cup/euro winners out there, and we've only got two?! brick. Not such a big club afterall, eh? (takes cover and waits for the reprimands to rain in)

I think people are forgetting le tournoi and the peace cup

Klinsmann won the world cup in 90 and Freund the euros in 96 just off the top of my head, but not while contracted to us of course.
We also bought Ardiles and Villa after they won the World Cup 1978 with Argentina. But they were not in the Argentina team which won the 1986 WC. The problem is the players or their national teams always become shyte once they sign for us. Remember Lamela lost the Copa America final with Argentina. And we also dont buy enough top quality players from Brazil, Argentina, Germany, Spain or France to be among the trophy winners.

Definitely the player I fear losing most over the summer and a win for France tonight would make that all the more likely. But hopefully we can use his boosted profile to attract some bigger names ourselves and keep him

I think he's great, but there are better

he's had a decent tournament no question but Neuer was immense imo

Actually I disagree, he has had more than a decent tournament he has been the best keeper in this tournament and unlike Neuer has not made a mistake that has led to a goal. Now I am not saying he is a better keeper just that he has been better this tournament

Actually I disagree, he has had more than a decent tournament he has been the best keeper in this tournament and unlike Neuer has not made a mistake that has led to a goal. Now I am not saying he is a better keeper just that he has been better this tournament

fair enough

I think the mistake against France was more than offset by his performance against Italy

irrelevant goal ultimately but the first Hugo conceded to Iceland was very sloppy

so we have the best 'keeper in europe and probably the world who only has a French cup to his name, would be nice for him to win something

Well after that result last night, Spurs remain level with the likes of Middlesbrough, Wolves and Sheffield Wednesday when it comes to the number of players who have won major tournaments with their national sides whilst on our books...

World Cup winners
Arsenal: Mesut Ozil (2014), Lukas Podolski (2014), Per Mertesacker (2014), Cesc Fabregas (2010), Patrick Vieira (1998), Emmanuel Petit (1998), George Eastham (1966)
Liverpool: Fernando Torres (2010), Ian Callaghan (1966), Roger Hunt (1966), Gerry Byrne (1966)
Chelsea: Andre Schurrle (2014), Frank Leboeuf (1998), Peter Bonetti (1966)
Manchester United: Nobby Stiles (1966), Bobby Charlton (1966), John Connelly (1966)
West Ham: Bobby Moore (1966), Geoff Hurst (1966), Martin Peters (1966)
Blackpool: Alan Ball (1966), Jimmy Armfield (1966)
Leeds United: Jack Charlton (1966), Norman Hunter (1966)
Everton: Ray Wilson (1966)
Fulham: George Cohen (1966)
Leicester City: Gordon Banks (1966)
Middlesbrough: Juninho (2002)
Sheffield Wednesday: Ron Springett (1966)
Southampton: Terry Paine (1966)
Tottenham Hotspur: Jimmy Greaves (1966)
Wolverhampton Wanderers: Ron Flowers (1966)

Euro Cup Winners
Chelsea: Didier Deschamps (2000), Marcel Desailly (2000), Frank Lebœuf (2000), Fernando Torres (2012), Juan Mata (2012)
Liverpool: Fernando Torres (2008), Xabi Alonso (2008), Álvaro Arbeloa(2008), Pepe Reina (2008 and 2012)
Manchester United: Peter Schmeichel (1992), Fabien Barthez (2000)
Southampton: José Fonte (2016), Cédric Soares (2016)
Bolton Wanderers: Stelios Giannakopoulos (2004)
Leicester City: one player according to UEFA.com but dunno who...
Emirates Marketing Project: Jesús Navas (2012)

http://www.uefa.com/uefaeuro/news/newsid=2371938.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/worldcup2014/article-2691324/Arsenal-World-Cup-kings-Gunners-boast-winners-English-team-Germany-beat-Argentina-Brazil.html

so we have the best 'keeper in europe and probably the world who only has a French cup to his name, would be nice for him to win something
Best keeper in Europe and probably the world? No way. At least 4 or 5 better than him. De Gea, Neur, Courtois, Oblak are superior overall.

France’s Hugo Lloris: Euro 2016 was strange from beginning to end

Lloris was asked whether he found it odd that a team which had finished in third place at the group stage could reach the final. “This tournament was strange from the beginning until the end,” replied the Tottenham Hotspur goalkeeper. “The one thing we can say about Portugal is that it’s about their mental strength and their spirit. When you see them winning three games after extra time, it means that there is something strong and special inside the team.

“It’s difficult to find the words [to explain the defeat]. It’s true that we are all very disappointed. We tried our best and we missed, maybe, a bit of luck – the luck of the champion. We played all the games to win this game. It was a bit different for Portugal. They were more waiting for a mistake, waiting for a counterattack or set-pieces. But they played in this way all the competition and, at the end, they won. It’s football.” ....

Lloris lamented the lack of a clinical edge up front while he also felt the extra day of preparation that Portugal had enjoyed had helped them in extra time. “We maybe had a lack of freshness,” the 29-year-old said. “When you are a player at this stage of the competition, one day is very important and can make, maybe, the difference. Maybe it made the difference. But this is football. We have no excuses.

“We did our best and the most important thing is what we have created during the competition – between us, inside the team and the emotions that we’ve shared with all of the fans. This is one of the good memories and I think we can build up something strong for the next few years. We have a young generation and I think the future has to be bright.”​

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/jul/11/france-hugo-lloris-euro-2016-final-portugal

Best keeper in Europe and probably the world? No way. At least 4 or 5 better than him. De Gea, Neur, Courtois, Oblak are superior overall.

Hahaha .. all opinions I guess, but for me
- you mean Courtois who got beaten from more than half field by Charlie Adams?
- Neur has been shakey recently
- and DeGea makes more mistakes in my opinion than Hugo
- Haven't seen enough of Oblak to comment ...

Whatever your view, easily a quality keeper who bailed us and France out at critical moments ...

Maybe some of those mentioned ARE that bit superior between the sticks but I'll cheerfully trade the odd extra clanger for the exceptional qualities of leadership that Hugo brings to the table.

I was so disappointed for Hugo. Though, on the bright side, it means koscleny, giroud and sagna didn't win.

I was so disappointed for Hugo. Though, on the bright side, it means koscleny, giroud and sagna didn't win.

I think Lloris had an excellent Euro, without any mistakes of note. No one can blame him for Portugal's goal which was well-hit and perfectly-placed beyond Lloris. Frankly, Koscleny and Sagna was directly at fault for the Portugal's goal. Sagna stupidly gave the ball direct to Portugal from the throw-in. Portugal started their attack from that and Koscleny should have stopped Eder from shooting at goal. Giroud was France's main weakness as their only striker.

Back