• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Hugo Lloris

Played a high line in the first half, dropped deeper and ceded possession a lot in the second.

so basically we played a high line then when it really counted, dropping deeper 2nd half is normal and to be expected.

i still think its crazy to do that at swansea without lloris

so basically we played a high line then when it really counted, dropping deeper 2nd half is normal and to be expected.

i still think its crazy to do that at swansea without lloris

That's fair, it worked in the first half, second half we seemed to be trying to throw it away.

you are talking about the pros and cons of a highline by itself...i am talking about US playing a high line against swansea

then i ask , would you advise stoke to play a high line against barcelona. you would probably say 'No' , why is that?

you can use a highline for both passing and none passing teams. you can play deep against passing and non passing teams. the question is when is it a good idea to play a high line and not to play it. i dont think it would be the best idea to play a high line against a good passing team that has counter attacking abilities especially when the defensive pressure work and ball retention from our team had waned over the past two games

so its not about when the high line is good to play against what style, at least NOT on its own. its a combo of us doing it in this situation

would you ask stoke to play a high line against barca?

That seems a bit of a straw man argument to me. We are not Stoke and Swansea are not Barcelona.

I am not talking about the pros and cons of the high line, I'm talking about why I understand AVB favours it. For what it is worth, if we were paying Barca, i believe AVB would play a high line because if you give them space to play in, they will rip you a new one.

In theory I agree that a high line without Hugo is not a fantastic thing to try, but I will say that with Caulker and Verts it is perhaps a little easier on Friedel than Gallas back there...I think Brad did fine, but there are things he simply cannot get to/does not do anymore due to age...hope Hugo's knock is not too serious.

Played a high line in the first half, dropped deeper and ceded possession a lot in the second.

Under AVB we often only play for half a match. We win a game and then put a limiter on and start preparing for the next. It's why hopefully we'll be fresher in the run-in than Arsenal, who go all out expending themselves flat track bullying poor teams.

Under AVB we often only play for half a match. We win a game and then put a limiter on and start preparing for the next. It's why hopefully we'll be fresher in the run-in than Arsenal, who go all out expending themselves flat track bullying poor teams.

IMO, trying to see a game out by a single goal costs more energy (and certainly more mental stress) than continuing to seek a more comfortable lead. Sitting back and soaking up pressure is a false economy.

You don't get tired when you're playing well and fluently and winning comfortably.

You are not the first person here to put forward that theory. Seemed to work for United yesterday but Carrick was key. We can't seem to get possession when playing that way and look more vulnerable.
It worked against Swansea (if that is in fact what we did.)

You are not the first person here to put forward that theory. Seemed to work for United yesterday but Carrick was key. We can't seem to get possession when playing that way and look more vulnerable.
It worked against Swansea (if that is in fact what we did.)

We defnitely need a deep lying playmaker; if we had someone like Moutinho we could easily see off games.

:ross: if only that were true

we are not that good

i think the only thing i would really really think to re-evaluate is HOW much of a counter attAcking team swansea are. they seemed to almost favour the possession game entirely.

we did good throughout the game i must say. G.Bale's stock is rising exponentially

No source worthy of much thought has said yet

But I must say, if Brad keeps playing the way he did yesterday Hugo being out won't be as bad a situation as I originally thought

Amazing that we now have our first choice keeper out, our second choice centre back out, our first choice defensive midfielder out and, other than Bale, we have no real goal threat and yet..we're continuing to push for top 3!!

No source worthy of much thought has said yet

But I must say, if Brad keeps playing the way he did yesterday Hugo being out won't be as bad a situation as I originally thought

Agreed, Brad was excellent yesterday. His speed at closing down michu when they took that quick free kick reminded me of a far younger man.

Back