• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Hugo Lloris

We should base our thoughts on things before they have occurred? Right then, i'll just go and start the post match ratings thread, there's no point in waiting to do it, Africanspurs says the match shouldn't cloud our judgements.

If AVB has looked at Swansea's match tapes and decided that the high line will be the best move to stop them creating goal scoring chances, then we would go ahead and use it. It would make perfect sense to do so. Brad did pretty excellently with the high line against Inter Milan, so not having the personnel is imo gonad*s.

can you do me a favour and tell me how it makes PERFECT sense to play a highline against a passing team with counter attacking threats and speed to break a highline. i must be missing something obvious

can you do me a favour and tell me how it makes PERFECT sense to play a highline against a passing team with counter attacking threats and speed to break a highline. i must be missing something obvious

Because they are a possession based team, not a counter attacking team.

Michu is an excellent finisher if he gets the ball in our final third, if the opposition is kept out of our final third by keeping the Swansea possession in the middle of the park they will offer a much reduced threat.

Lloris is better than brad at it, i can agree with that, that's not being disputed.

I'm also perfectly happy for you to think it's a bad plan.

However to claim that it will have been a 'brash and naive' move, even if we win and Swansea create nothing is silly. It smacks of bias. It states that whatever happens you think AVB is wrong, even if the game shows him to be right.

It's just a bit small time, a bigger man would leave space to own up to himself being incorrect after the match.

well then no one is bigger than me then as i own up to everything bar nothing...and without trying to be sexist i am glad you said 'man'...i would switch that to 'adult' though, cause adults shouldnt afraid to say what they believe.
like i said before when you didnt know of year on year bale to CF debate, its clear you havent been here long , cause i have had to eat some world famous clangers here in my time. am i going to use those to hide out from what i think? probably not...at least i would hope not

if we go out there and totally own swansea on their own patch then i would admit that things didnt go as i expected and that we did well and AVB got the right call. It wouldnt change my own personal opinion of how i think the game should have been approached though

well then no one is bigger than me then as i own up to everything bar nothing...and without trying to be sexist i am glad you said 'man'...i would switch that to 'adult' though, cause adults shouldnt afraid to say what they believe.
like i said before, its clear you havent been here long , cause i have had to eat some clangers here in my time. am i going to use those to hide out from what i think? probably not...at least i would hope not

if we go out there and totally own swansea on their own patch then i would admit that things didnt go as i expected and that we did well and AVB got the right call. It wouldnt change my own personal opinion of how i think the game should have been approached though

Man, it's short for mankind. The human race.

Fair enough, if that's how you are then i'll not try to change you and you can continue to drop clangers.

Because they are a possession based team, not a counter attacking team.

Michu is an excellent finisher if he gets the ball in our final third, if the opposition is kept out of our final third by keeping the Swansea possession in the middle of the park they will offer a much reduced threat.

and here we have it...you dont see them as a counter attacking team, fundamentally this a big sticking point between the two of us. i actually do see them as both a possesion based team and a counter punching team when the need presents it itself.

i would rather we dropped deep, held the ball more.....and welcome them on top of us and then hit them on our break, which is our speciality.

playing a highline and pressing them like we are at home IMO is kind of irresponsible. it might work but i wouldnt favour it at all

Fair enough, if that's how you are then i'll not try to change you and you can continue to drop clangers.

i wasnt having a dig at you using man......infact i said i was glad you said it as that was what i was thinking.

but i thought it would be considered a bit sexist? 'A man' doesnt mean mankind LOL...where you from:lol:

its very important to understand a persons stance, yes please do leave me to my many clangers, there will no doubt be plenty more.....as long as i lay a golden egg or two i am more than satisfied

i wasnt having a dig at you using man......infact i said i was glad you said it as that was what i was thinking.

but i thought it would be considered a bit sexist? 'A man' doesnt mean mankind LOL...where you from:lol:

its very important to understand a persons stance, yes please do leave me to my many clangers, there will no doubt be plenty more.....as long as i lay a golden egg or two i am more than satisfied

I'm from England.

When they talk about man walking amongst the stars, do you think that's because women aren't allowed? :lol:

I'm from England.

When they talk about man walking amongst the stars, do you think that's because women aren't allowed? :lol:

LOL

saying "Man" and "A Man" are two totally different things..hahahaaaaaaaa.

i will GLADLY take that back if someone can show me where i have assumed wrong on that count

"A man's got do what a man's got to do".........when that gets said...i honestly dont think they meant women? LOL, you joker who you kidding ? ;)

LOL

saying "Man" and "A Man" are two totally different things..hahahaaaaaaaa.

i will GLADLY take that back if someone can show me where i have assumed wrong on that count

"A man's got do what a man's got to do".........when that gets said...i honestly dont think they meant women? LOL, you joker who you kidding ? ;)

Because women don't have to do what men have to do?

That's pretty sexist mate... :p

My understanding is that AVB likes a high line because it compresses play and makes it easier to close down teams. This would be especially desirable against passing teams like Swansea.

I don't see the high line being particularly dangerous in this game. Swansea have pace down the flanks but so do we. Michu is pretty slow, so pushing up could be a good way of neutralising him.

My understanding is that AVB likes a high line because it compresses play and makes it easier to close down teams. This would be especially desirable against passing teams like Swansea.

I don't see the high line being particularly dangerous in this game. Swansea have pace down the flanks but so do we. Michu is pretty slow, so pushing up could be a good way of neutralising him.

Michu isnt that slow..and i've seen enough of him breaking the defensive line to know he is quick in the mind / thought. also i wouldnt want him being a trailing receiver on a counter attack

i think i get the idea of why AVB likes the highline.....i just wouldnt want to play it against a team that has BOTH possession AND counter attacking capabilities. which is why i said that the highline would have sounded good to me against inter....but it doesnt sound good to me against swansea

Michu isnt that slow..and i've seen enough of him breaking the defensive line to know he is quick in the mind / thought. also i wouldnt want him being a trailing receiver on a counter attack

i think i get the idea of why AVB likes the highline.....i just wouldnt want to play it against a team that has BOTH possession AND counter attacking capabilities. which is why i said that the highline would have sounded good to me against inter....but it doesnt sound good to me against swansea

The idea of the high line is to give you less space to close down and pressure your opponents when they are in possession. If you don't use it against passing teams, who do you use it against?

The idea of the high line is to give you less space to close down and pressure your opponents when they are in possession. If you don't use it against passing teams, who do you use it against?

Your mistaking the philosophy for the situation as it presents itself....at least from my view. the highline in and of itself is not the issue, its to do more with the people we have playing that style

case in point.....if barca played stoke...would your advise be to them to play a highline. its an extreme situation to show what i am saying....cause i dont want to get side tracked into debating the highline by itself

ahem...if you will , about dropping those huge clangers!!!! 8-[

edit:- i will say though, that i am not actually watching the game.....will have a butchers on footy first tonight

Last edited:
ahem...if you will , about dropping those huge clangers!!!! 8-[

edit:- i will say though, that i am not actually watching the game.....will have a butchers on footy first tonight

Am watching the game myself, Swansea's best chances have been headers from crosses. Once they caught out out back line, but was more because it was a quick free kick.. :p

Your mistaking the philosophy for the situation as it presents itself....at least from my view. the highline in and of itself is not the issue, its to do more with the people we have playing that style

case in point.....if barca played stoke...would your advise be to them to play a highline. its an extreme situation to show what i am saying....cause i dont want to get side tracked into debating the highline by itself

I don't understand the point that you are trying to make.

I don't understand the point that you are trying to make.

you are talking about the pros and cons of a highline by itself...i am talking about US playing a high line against swansea

then i ask , would you advise stoke to play a high line against barcelona. you would probably say 'No' , why is that?

you can use a highline for both passing and none passing teams. you can play deep against passing and non passing teams. the question is when is it a good idea to play a high line and not to play it. i dont think it would be the best idea to play a high line against a good passing team that has counter attacking abilities especially when the defensive pressure work and ball retention from our team had waned over the past two games

so its not about when the high line is good to play against what style, at least NOT on its own. its a combo of us doing it in this situation

would you ask stoke to play a high line against barca?

Back