• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Hugo Lloris

Wait your turn, Hugo! Assou-Ekotto backs Friedel to continue as Spurs' No 1

Benoit Assou-Ekotto has warned disgruntled Tottenham new boy Hugo Lloris to be patient as the row over who should be the club's No 1 rumbles on.

The Frenchman was an £12million arrival on deadline day but is already frustrated at playing second fiddle to Brad Friedel.

And now left back Assou-Ekotto has weighed into the debate by backing the American to retain his spot.

‘It won’t be easy for him because there is competition,' he told French radio station RMC.

‘No 1 keeper in the French team or not, he will have to fight to get the position in the team.

‘We currently have a keeper that doesn’t make any mistakes, who is very well-known in Great Britain.

‘To start I believe Lloris will be No 2. If our keeper doesn’t make any mistakes there is no reason to change.’

Assou-Ekotto's response comes after Lloris demanded showdown talks with manager Andre Villas-Boas when he returns from international duty.

'When I join up with the national team, I concentrate uniquely and we’ll see about my personal situation when I go back,' he said.

'Obviously it is not nice if the coach says he will pick someone else for the first team, but we can see what happens.

'For now, I have to put the situation to one side as France have important matches and I cannot worry about what might happen at my club.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2201554/Hugo-Lloris-latest-Brad-Friedel-Tottenhams-No-1-says-Benoit-Assou-Ekotto.html

Trolls are gonna troll. :lol:

What some Spurs fans consider to be a mistake by Friedal wouldn't be considered a mistake by most other people. The WBA goal being a prime example of this. A lot of Spurs fans tried to blame him for the goal and claim staying on his line was the wrong decision, but more objective judges wouldn't criticize him for it. I bet when reviewing the goal AVB and his staff didn't blame him and would expect him to do the same again, as he can't guess where a looping header is going and if he came off his line before hand it would have been a blind guess. The percentage decision was to stay where he was. Hence BAE doesn't seem to think he was at fault.

I'm not referring to the WBA goal in particular (not sure why you've chosen that specific one either) - just a general comment

He's a good keeper but not flawless, imv - not in the slightest.

Last edited:
What some Spurs fans consider to be a mistake by Friedal wouldn't be considered a mistake by most other people. The WBA goal being a prime example of this. A lot of Spurs fans tried to blame him for the goal and claim staying on his line was the wrong decision, but more objective judges wouldn't criticize him for it. I bet when reviewing the goal AVB and his staff didn't blame him and would expect him to do the same again, as he can't guess where a looping header is going and if he came off his line before hand it would have been a blind guess. The percentage decision was to stay where he was. Hence BAE doesn't seem to think he was at fault.

=D>

The press can just fudge off, they have a huge vendetta against us now for getting rid of their fav boy Harry...

Stick together as a club and as fans and fudge everybody else

I'm not referring to the WBA in particular (not sure why you've chosen that specific one either) - just a general comment

He's a good keeper but not flawless, imv - not in the slightest.

Because he got criticized by many of our fans and it was crazy. You have to be really determined to find fault with him for that goal, but lots of our fans did. From what I can tell it was due to the fact some say he should come off his line more. As a result every time the ball goes anywhere near him some fans expect him to come flying out for it. When he doesn't they see it as proof that Friedal is always stuck on his line.

No GK is flawless, but Brad is one of the least error prone.

It isn't just staying on his line (which does put us under massive pressure from set pieces), its to do with his agility and distribution as well. For example, with the Norwich goal, I think that a younger/more agile keeper like Gomes (or Lloris?) might have tipped it around the post. I also think that Friedel's kicking and throwing are truly awful sometimes, we need a keeper who is more confident and comfortable on the ball if we want to keep possession.

Don't get me wrong, Friedel is a class keeper and he doesn't make many mistakes. But I don't feel he adds enough to the team if we're serious about challenging for the CL places/title. There comes a point where 'solid' isn't enough. Maybe it's arrogant of me to think we're at that point but if we really want to realise our dream of being back amongst the big boys and challenging for the title I think we need better. Hopefully Lloris is the man we need.

Because he got criticized by many of our fans and it was crazy. You have to be really determined to find fault with him for that goal, but lots of our fans did. From what I can tell it was due to the fact some say he should come off his line more. As a result every time the ball goes anywhere near him some fans expect him to come flying out for it. When he doesn't they see it as proof that Friedal is always stuck on his line.

This is the key, he doesn't do many negative things, but how much does he do that's positive? Every keeper pulls of stunning reaction saves at this level, aside from this Friedel offers us is his reading of the game and his organisational capabilities (again don't get me wrong, these are valuable traits), but we need a more complete keeper to help take us to the next level IMO.

I responded to BAE's comment suggesting he doesn't make any mistakes - you seem to have run off on a completely different tangent. Never once have I blamed him for WBA's goal (it all started with Hudd the passenger 'observing' play around him, imv)

Can't agree with the last line either - his distribution and decision making in the 6-yard area (or in other words his ability (or lack therof) to leave his line) have often let him down, imv

It isn't just staying on his line (which does put us under massive pressure from set pieces), its to do with his agility and distribution as well. For example, with the Norwich goal, I think that a younger/more agile keeper like Gomes (or Lloris?) might have tipped it around the post. I also think that Friedel's kicking and throwing are truly awful sometimes, we need a keeper who is more confident and comfortable on the ball if we want to keep possession.

Don't get me wrong, Friedel is a class keeper and he doesn't make many mistakes. But I don't feel he adds enough to the team if we're serious about challenging for the CL places/title. There comes a point where 'solid' isn't enough. Maybe it's arrogant of me to think we're at that point but if we really want to realise our dream of being back amongst the big boys and challenging for the title I think we need better. Hopefully Lloris is the man we need.

Eh? What happened last season then? We actually finished in the CL places. So far this season Brad certainly doesn't seem to have deteriorated, so i can't see the logic in what you are saying.

Joey - Brad is a good keeper. Lloris is simply better.

That's my take in this particular situation - the 'transition' would be complete in the next 4-6 weeks, imv. Not a fudge we'd have France's captain sitting on our bench next to Dawson and Livermore

Eh? What happened last season then? We actually finished in the CL places. So far this season Brad certainly doesn't seem to have deteriorated, so i can't see the logic in what you are saying.

I didn't say if we're serious about coming 4th. Look at the bigger picture, if we want to legitimately do damage higher up the table and finish 1st/2nd/3rd on a yearly basis we need all the quality we can get, and as Arc suggests, Friedel can be improved upon. Whether Lloris is this improvement or not is yet to be seen.

Joey - Brad is a good keeper. Lloris is simply better.

That's my take in this particular situation - the 'transition' would be complete in the next 4-6 weeks, imv. Not a fudge we'd have France's captain sitting on our bench next to Dawson and Livermore

Haven't said Lloris isn't better. I don't know, as like the vast majority of I have seen very little of him. But I do know that I don't trust the opinions of others, based on years of reading message boards and thus being aware that fans often rate or don't rate players based on very little.

Ridiculous

Oddschecker ‏@Oddschecker

With Hugo Lloris set for talks with AVB, the France keeper is 9/2 to leave the club in January

the longer Lloris is not in the first team, the bigger the fuss surrounding him and AVB will grow. We really dont need any more of this brick

I feel sorry for Brad, who has done nothing wrong since he has been at Spurs, but Lloris has to be given the gloves for the Reading game and he becomes our permanent keeper. Statement of intent, shut everyone up, and lets focus on getting 3 pts

Old man Brad is a relic of a bygone era, a Model T to Loris' bugatti Veyron - anything short of sticking Lloris in the team, sacking Brad, and making Hugo captain for life and Hall of fame legends status immediately is a massive mistake by that amature AVB. Or at least so say some.

No room for common sense around these parts joey!

IMO, the long and short of it is that this is all a newspaper fabrication. There is no issue, there is no friction. Lloris (if he is half of what he is supposed to be) will come in, train, get a chance and take it. End of story.

Natural selection in sport, who would have imagined such a thing...

the longer Lloris is not in the first team, the bigger the fuss surrounding him and AVB will grow. We really dont need any more of this brick

I feel sorry for Brad, who has done nothing wrong since he has been at Spurs, but Lloris has to be given the gloves for the Reading game and he becomes our permanent keeper. Statement of intent, shut everyone up, and lets focus on getting 3 pts

Rubbish. Lloris needs to be in the door for more than 5 minutes before ousting a keeper who is doing a very good job.

I expect him to get a chance against Lazio and we'll see how it goes from there.

Back