• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

How many goals would Son have to score to meet your expectations?

I wouldn't put a number on it, way to many factors to take into account, he might not score any but end up with 15 assists, that wouldn't make him a flop.

I disagree, I'm not saying he has to score 10, but he needs a few goals to go along with assists. I've said many times how I believe assists are overrated, I'd settle for his overall play and creativity being decent with a few goals to go along with it.

I disagree, I'm not saying he has to score 10, but he needs a few goals to go along with assists. I've said many times how I believe assists are overrated, I'd settle for his overall play and creativity being decent with a few goals to go along with it.

how about overall play and creativity being brilliant but no actual goals to his name?

Not signing berahino is not the issue, at least for me it isn't. Not signing a back up lone forward is. It's just such an obvious need, one that I seem essential to fill. If I'm wrong and the tactical variation of false 9 or converting one of our players works out from the off and consistently then fair play, quote me on this and I will gladly say I'm wrong. And I am was being a drama queen.... In fact you can put a drama queen as my aviator till the end of the season, but if not it's an almighty bollacks up, one that was completely avoidable, and in the absence of any power to duck everybody off involved in the shambles of a decision at spurs (including levy....... And I normally defend him to the hilt) then everyone who are talking about false 9s, converting players who haven't played in to lone forwards, show patience etc should have a similarly suitable aviator..... Deal?

I'm not aware of being in for a single like for like Kane replacement all summer. Maybe Poch's plan has always been to have some tactical flexibility that his ditractors frequently accuse him of not having.

I'm not aware of being in for a single like for like Kane replacement all summer. Maybe Poch's plan has always been to have some tactical flexibility that his ditractors frequently accuse him of not having.

if we wanted austin it appears it would have been easy

But if that's his plan, then what happens if Kane gets injured, needs a rest, is out of form, is suspended? Where is the tactical variation in that? We would be left with false 9s or whatever, which even if it's successful leaves us with no tactical variation. What you are basically saying is that poch's idea of giving us tactical options, is giving us no option other than a completely untried system if our ONLY striker can't/shouldn't play, for what ever reason.

That's a ducking big gamble, a huge risk which could have been somewhat mitigated easily within the window.

For us to have one striker is ridiculous.

I think he'll score about 6 in all competitions. Hopefully his pace and skill can cause defences problems.

But if that's his plan, then what happens if Kane gets injured, needs a rest, is out of form, is suspended? Where is the tactical variation in that? We would be left with false 9s or whatever, which even if it's successful leaves us with no tactical variation. What you are basically saying is that poch's idea of giving us tactical options, is giving us no option other than a completely untried system if our ONLY striker can't/shouldn't play, for what ever reason.

That's a ducking big gamble, a huge risk which could have been somewhat mitigated easily within the window.

For us to have one striker is ridiculous.

If there was not a suitable like for like Kane replacement available maybe he decided it was less of a risk than the alternatives.

I think that was the way he wanted to go and one of the reasons we never went for Austin.

If there was not a suitable like for like Kane replacement available maybe he decided it was less of a risk than the alternatives.

You don't think Ricky Lambert would be a useful backup? Just as example.

You think that signing no one to back up Kane is less of a risk then signing any one of thousands of strikers, are you being serious?

If that's what our collective transfer committee thought, then as far as I'm concerned their heads are on the line. If they are wrong of course. But no excuses, because it just doesn't wash.

The same Rickie Lambert who is 33 and scored only 3 goals in his last 37 games since leaving Southampton? If so the answer is a big emphatic no.

The same Rickie Lambert who is 33 and scored only 3 goals in his last 37 games since leaving Southampton? If so the answer is a big emphatic no.

Yeah the same one, you think that having him as an option is not better than having no one?

You don't think Ricky Lambert would be a useful backup? Just as example.

You think that signing no one to back up Kane is less of a risk then signing any one of thousands of strikers, are you being serious?

If that's what our collective transfer committee thought, then as far as I'm concerned their heads are on the line. If they are wrong of course. But no excuses, because it just doesn't wash.

I'm speculating on what I think the rationale was behind our transfer business this summer and how we might line up given the players we know we were interested in and the ones we signed.

Whether I would've signed Ricky Lambert or not is irrelevant, I am not the manager of Tottenham Hotspur.

Now I think the fact that we did not bid for Ricky Lambert or make a move for Charlie Austin suggests that Poch did not want to sign this type of player or thought that the players of this type who were available were not up to the required standard.

I think I would rather give Son a chance if needed to play there seeing as he has done so for his previous club.

Son hasn't from what I heard played as lone striker ever. Not even sure he has played as anything but a wide forward.

I'll dig out some more stats for similar players later on but Hazard scored 13 in all competitions in his first season. I'd have Hazard down as the gold standard, getting close would be a massive achievement.

@galeforce @Jurgen the German

Silva scored 5 in his first season at City.

Ozil scored 7 in his first season at Arsenal.

Cazorla scored 12 in his first season at Arsenal.

Willian scored 4 goals in his first season at Chelsea.

Oscar scored 12 in his first season at Chelsea.

Coutinho scored 5 in his first full season at Liverpool.

Chadli scored 5 in his first season with us.

Eriksen scored 10 goals in his first season with us.

I'm speculating on what I think the rationale was behind our transfer business this summer and how we might line up given the players we know we were interested in and the ones we signed.

Whether I would've signed Ricky Lambert or not is irrelevant, I am not the manager of Tottenham Hotspur.

Now I think the fact that we did not bid for Ricky Lambert or make a move for Charlie Austin suggests that Poch did not want to sign this type of player or thought that the players of this type who were available were not up to the required standard.

Well if that's the case, pouch needs to be correct, and if he is not then the buck should stop with him. No excuses or anything, if that's what he has done, the fact that bit is so counter intuitive means that he is either right, or he pays the price for being wrong.

To be honest I think I'm going to stop on this subject now, as I have actually started to bore myself with my moaning... And doing it on a message is less than futile. But duck me am I worried about our season ahead.

Son hasn't from what I heard played as lone striker ever. Not even sure he has played as anything but a wide forward.

It doesn't sound like Poch wants us to play with a traditional target man, where you hit it long and hope he can do something, anyway. It will be front 3 where the players interchange.

It doesn't sound like Poch wants us to play with a traditional target man, where you hit it long and hope he can do something, anyway. It will be front 3 where the players interchange.
That sounds right. Wasn't it against Stoke where Chadli and Moose were interchanging? Really created a lot of problems for their defense and we had a number of good chances, on top of the ones we put away. If not using a target man results in that kind of play, let's never get a striker!

Back