• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

How many goals would Son have to score to meet your expectations?

I don't think you can have individual targets like that in a team sport.

For instance, our wonky wide forwards last season meant that Chadli was free to get closer to Kane and score goals, whereas Lamela/Townsend were kept back more to make defensive contribution.

I think Son's pace and penetration will mean the opponents will have to spread their defensive cover more evenly, which should mean Kane and the other WF will have more space/hopefully score more

For me its about outcomes, rather than outputs. If we get 5th/6th and threaten or even win a cup, and Son is an instrumental in that, then his signing will have been a success.

he's a young man from a different culture moving to a new league with a different language, he can't "flop" this season, its an adjustment period, how he performs in years 3 and 4 are how he, and our purchase of him, should be judged

You can't get closer to the English game and English culture than coming from Germany. I'm hoping he will be up-to-speed much quicker than a typical signing from southern Europe/the slower Spanish/Italian/French leagues

The problem with these so-called adjustment period is that, we seldom keep a manager for more than 2 seasons. And by the time the new players get the experience they need at Spurs, the new manager might not need them !

By that reckoning, we should not sign anyone because all players take time to settle.

The problem with these so-called adjustment period is that, we seldom keep a manager for more than 2 seasons. And by the time the new players get the experience they need at Spurs, the new manager might not need them !

It's why it's better to bring in players who won't be expected to go straight into the first team, and then let them emerge when they are ready.

E.g. Bale was a bit part player/understudy for BAE and Modric/Krancjar for much of his first 3 seasons.

Or Alli or Dier coming in to understudy more senior players, but exceeding expectations and coming in more quickly.

Lets just see what happens with all the new boys. dont set targets , their lies pressure and disappointment.

I don't even really know what kind of player he is. As long as he offers something else and contributes more than Townsend/Lamela I'm happy. If he can then kick on after a settling in period I'd be very happy.

Good move. Set a high bar so we can give him a kicking when he fails to clear it.

The club has done that all by their lonesome, by failing to get in a center forward, we have put unreasonable pressure on two young players, to play in an unfamiliar possition in a new league. It's a gamble of monumental proportions, and they have to be right.

The club has done that all by their lonesome, by failing to get in a center forward, we have put unreasonable pressure on two young players, to play in an unfamiliar possition in a new league. It's a gamble of monumental proportions, and they have to be right.

why is it on them, why not eriksen, dembele, lamela, mason, chadli et al

false 9 or no 9, we have plenty of options

could be quite interesting actually, Eriksen having two inside forwards floating about to slip in whilst the two opposing CB's have no idea who they should be picking up

the key will be having an out ball which you would think Son would suit

From what we know of him he scores a decent amount of goals but his assists are well short.

10+ goals and 3 assists would be a more than good debut season.

If he leaves everything out there on the pitch, I'll be happy.

false 9 or no 9, we have plenty of options

could be quite interesting actually, Eriksen having two inside forwards floating about to slip in whilst the two opposing CB's have no idea who they should be picking up

the key will be having an out ball which you would think Son would suit

Ok cool, New system, tactical variety I like it..... But it better ducking work, and none of this.... Oh we need to give it time to work, because we are with one striker until Jan at the earliest, and those that let that happen need to take the hit, if whatever they are planning doesn't work out... And fast....Why? ..... Because it lookS like ducking ineptitude to go into the season with one striker, amateur hour. If they have got it right then fair play to them, I will hold my hand up, but if not...and there are no half ways here... Then duck Mr heads need to roll and for the first time I will ask serious questions about Levy as well.

It's about what he can bring to side

- Goals are the easy measurement, as others have mentioned, Chadli/Erisken have set the bar for that from midfield, 8-12 would be very good.
- Consistency and not leaving his FB completely exposed repeatedly would be an improvement
- Adding pace/directness and making intelligent runs could significantly improve the team effectiveness.

I'm hopefully optimistic, the question is can we accommodate both Son and Njie? because that would significantly change the overall pace of our side.

Back