• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Heurleho Gomes "takes a swipe" at Spurs

Another player that had the physical attributes to be one of the best, but mentally so fragile.

Wish him all the best, but do think he's making excuses for a lack of ambition on his part.

He was at times brilliant and at times woeful, not consistent enough for me

I remember his amazing display when we beat Arsenal 2-1 and also his horror shows at Craven Cottage & Stamford Bridge

HOWLER.gif

If only we had goal line tech back then. That **** lino couldn't wait to give it despite being nowhere near the play.

And for what its worth this is Levy's fault.
January 2011- Gomes's contract expires in July 2012 but the club have an option of extending it to 2015 then.
What does Levy do? Gives him a contract to 2014 that January. Less than 6 months later he brings in Friedel and Gomes is never seen again.

January 2011- Gomes's contract expires in July 2012 but the club have an option of extending it to 2015 then.
What does Levy do? Gives him a contract to 2014 that January. Less than 6 months later he brings in Friedel and Gomes is never seen again.

Do you think that was all Levy's decision?

So Levy's an idiot because he can't go back in time and not give Gomes a contract when we sign a new keeper six months later?

If anything he's saved one year's wages. Gomes was contracted to 2014 rather than 2015.

Those saves against the goons in the 2-1 game, iirc.

The save from Lampard's chip at the bridge, Ronaldo's free kick at OT, the deflected shot at Pompey where he was going the wrong way and threw an arm up, the tip into the post at home against Pool.

All great saves and what I'll remember him for.

The save from Lampard's chip at the bridge, Ronaldo's free kick at OT, the deflected shot at Pompey where he was going the wrong way and threw an arm up, the tip into the post at home against Pool.

yup, all those saves were unbelievable.We definitely would not have qualified for cl that season with anyone else in goal.

He also did really well when we beat AC at the San Siro.

I'd say in his best year he was the best keeper I've ever seen at spurs in my lifetime.

He had horrific moments of course, but he was one of my favourites

Re: Heurelho Gomes "takes a swipe" at Spurs

Pulled off some absolutely stunning saves at times, and was a loveable bloke. Sadly his inconsistency and bloopers cost his Spurs career in the end.
Best of luck to him when he now finally moves on in his career.

i can't remember what game it was but he saved a penalty, spilled the ball then fouled the attacking player, giving away another penalty - which was then scored. that passage of play summed Gomes up perfectly :lol:

Blackpool at home in April 2011. Couldn't believe what I was seeing!

I remember his penalty save in the last minute vs Chelsea (having just conceded the penalty himself.) That was a huge save.

some unsaveable stops and some stoppable goals :)

all in all still an above average keeper and a nice guy.

would like to hear the manager's side of the story

Gomes was a genuinely good guy and at his peak he was a huge hero at the Lane , it's easy to forget. Those jumps before KO, the wife chant.... Unreliable shot stopper. My main gripe was him was that he was a bit of a cry baby, it hurts in goal but so many times he went down dying yet didn't have to be subbed.

Gomes has to take his share of the responsibility in his career- if he cut his wage demands then he could have left at any time. For a reserve keeper, he was on a stack. If he wants to change then something had to give. Instead he plumped for loan moves.

However I agree that he was superb for us, for a significant period of time. He was unbelievable for the WHOLE of the CL qualifying season, home defensive record and not one blunder. That's the consistency he as capable of. Where we went wrong - as a club - was not managing him properly when he did struggle the next year. Rotate him, don't play Friedel every game. Should have been in goal for the Europa league.

Gomes was a genuinely good guy and at his peak he was a huge hero at the Lane , it's easy to forget. Those jumps before KO, the wife chant.... Unreliable shot stopper. My main gripe was him was that he was a bit of a cry baby, it hurts in goal but so many times he went down dying yet didn't have to be subbed.

Gomes has to take his share of the responsibility in his career- if he cut his wage demands then he could have left at any time. For a reserve keeper, he was on a stack. If he wants to change then something had to give. Instead he plumped for loan moves.

However I agree that he was superb for us, for a significant period of time. He was unbelievable for the WHOLE of the CL qualifying season, home defensive record and not one blunder. That's the consistency he as capable of. Where we went wrong - as a club - was not managing him properly when he did struggle the next year. Rotate him, don't play Friedel every game. Should have been in goal for the Europa league.

How does that work if Levy is asking an unreasonable transfer fee?

Gomes said:
My situation at Tottenham is not good.I can leave on a free, even though I have a year left on my contract. I have told them I want to go.

Both PSV and Brazilian clubs have been mentioned, but none of them can match however many K he was on.

Both PSV and Brazilian clubs have been mentioned, but none of them can match however many K he was on.

Certainly contradicting him saying he was priced out of a move! Clearly if hed taken enough of a cut he should have joined PSV on a free....

This reads like him trying to put a positive spin on things to me. I remember reading a couple of pieces which suggested that moves had broken down because of his wage demands.

Agreed. He's understandably just trying to justify what has happened.

does anyone how much is he on now at watford? i suspect he is probably on around 10-15 p/w. he was reportedly on about 50k whilst with us. therein lies the reason why he didnt leave. i have no proof, but i wudnt be surprised if he wanted some kind of pay off to leave (to make up the shortfall in wages).

Daniel tell you that did he?

Sorry but I've seen enough Levy to know he is a shrewd investor. You pay full and premium price for all his players, but if the player wants out enough they can get their move. If Gomes takes a hit of £10k a year on a four year contract that's £2m right there.

Back