• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Harry Winks

Way too early to get really excited. We have been here with a host of midfielders and none have progressed and made it.

He would need to continue with what he has done and add a fair bit for me to think he is the genuine article.

Unfortunately it takes very little to get a call-up for England these days.
In a year he's gone from essentially an unknown to a regular part of our match day squad and competing for a place in our starting line-up. Into the England squad as well.

He's done this playing a very nice style of football, good pass and move play, taking players on, showing creativity. Combined with some solid tackles, good positional sense and great work rate.

All this despite an injury that set him back. And at the age of 20/21.

This isn't enough to get really excited about a young player for you?

In a year he's gone from essentially an unknown to a regular part of our match day squad and competing for a place in our starting line-up. Into the England squad as well.

He's done this playing a very nice style of football, good pass and move play, taking players on, showing creativity. Combined with some solid tackles, good positional sense and great work rate.

All this despite an injury that set him back. And at the age of 20/21.

This isn't enough to get really excited about a young player for you?
No, a youngster needs to play for the Arse to get Rita hot under the collar!

my memory is failing... was Winks out for XX months because he chased a nothing ball out by the benches and either got clattered, or skidded onto the non-grass surface and fell... a really nothing situation?

my memory is failing... was Winks out for XX months because he chased a nothing ball out by the benches and either got clattered, or skidded onto the non-grass surface and fell... a really nothing situation?

Wasn’t he going in for a tackle, ended up off the pitch and crashed into the medics ice box or something?
Probably the kind of thing you couldn’t replicate if you tried.

Should get his debut against Liechtenstein now we've already qualified for Russia. Would be great for him to play alongside Dier and Alli and I have zero doubt that he'll impress against poor quality opposition. International football will be easy for a natural footballer like him.

Should get his debut against Liechtenstein now we've already qualified for Russia. Would be great for him to play alongside Dier and Alli and I have zero doubt that he'll impress against poor quality opposition. International football will be easy for a natural footballer like him.
But surely you've noticed we always play cack against cack teams?

But surely you've noticed we always play cack against cack teams?

Not sure if you're being serious but cack teams are about the only ones we ever do well against. Obvious the occasional Iceland happens but we haven't lost in the qualifying campaigns. That's solid form when it's mattered at a group stage.

Not sure if you're being serious but cack teams are about the only ones we ever do well against. Obvious the occasional Iceland happens but we haven't lost in the qualifying campaigns. That's solid form when it's mattered at a group stage.
No I disagree. We always raise our game against the big boys. We might not get the result, but nine times out of ten we put on a good show and at worst lose by the odd goal. For example if we played the way we did last night or most of our group games against Germany we would get rolled over but look at us against them - we lost to them by one goal and time before that we beat them. It's same against all big teams, we always perform better. I am including friendliest in this, but same applies in tournaments, we might get knocked out but we always raise our game against the big teams.....

Yes sorry, it was a bit flippant, but there is also more than a germ of truth in it. Last night was typical, we beat Slovenia but descended to they're level in doing so. Whereas we often raise our game against the big boys but end up losing when it really matters.

Edit, re the bolded, just read Harr1984's post above making much the same point.

Id be interested to see our record against low, medium and high rated international teams. I think you'll find with the odd exception we are flat track bullies. It's hard to perform at that high level when the opposition are part time plumbers, the game just descends into a less impressive visual event.

Same applies to Spurs games some times, eg Barnsley.

As tonight showed , getting picked for England does not mean you are a top PL player. There was similar and varying hype about midfielders Mason, Carrol, Bentaleb, Townsend, Huddlestone [ remember him the new Hoddle ] and Livermore.

England are boring turgid dirge , getting picked in that midfield is nothing to get excited about. Livermore still gets picked.

The bar is very low - countless square passes is the new creativity.

There are degrees of difficulty with passes . Winks as other English midfielders does played lots of square and forward passes to a player straight in front or to the side of him. Nothing wrong with that ; it is football. But it has a pretty low degree of difficulty . It is playing football in straight lines . England have and have had lots of players who just do that.

We are more in need of someone like Lamela - who can spot a pass and deliver it with perfect weight. Winks is decent and will hopeful keep improving - but this ridiculous hype is not doing him or us any favours . Especially if it stops us buying [ the greater potential ] IMO Barkley .

Back