• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Harry Winks

Got almost half an hour against Leverkusen when we were desperate for a goal. Shows some level of trust in him from Pochettino.

He's still only 20, and as a deeper, not really goal scoring, playmaker type he's still very young. How many games of PL football would Dembele have gotten in a team of our quality in that role at that age do you think?

A lot to be learned from game time in the league. But also a lot to be learned day in day out in the training ground. it seems that Pochettino has a plan with him, let's see how it pans out.

I most of the squad is ahead of Sissoko for a CM role - it's just not where Sissoko should play.

Pochettino not getting a clear cut backup/competition for Dembele in that role could be a good indicator that he rates Winks for that role for the future and he might just be easing him in like you say. Will be interesting to see how he's used for the second half of the season.

I agree sissoko shouldn't play CM as I could see him doing a suicidal pass to the opposition so he's best out on the wing where his inevitable mistakes will cost us less.

Plus I'd obviously prefer wanyama, dier, winks, dembele play over him. But on the wing I'd rather see eriksen, son, lamela, N'koudou.

So where the hell does sissoko fit in?

Such a strange buy without even taking the fee into account.

When alder was playing before the injury, Wanyama was starting in midfield ahead of Dier.

I have to agree with an above poster that dier played better in midfield last season then Wanamya has this, not that Wanyama has been poor because he has not, but our overall play has not been as good. We need Dier back in midfield but also I feel part of the problem is actually Eriksen because he is not creating enough so it is showing up other areas in Midfield.

I have to agree with an above poster that dier played better in midfield last season then Wanamya has this, not that Wanyama has been poor because he has not, but our overall play has not been as good. We need Dier back in midfield but also I feel part of the problem is actually Eriksen because he is not creating enough so it is showing up other areas in Midfield.
I guess the question is whether our better/worse play last/this season is a direct result of us having Dier/Wanyama playing the holding role. IMO it isn't that simple. This season we have been without our best centre half, our best centre forward and our 1st/2nd most creative midfield player for a considerable period. We have also suffered from a few of our first team players losing a bit of form at the same time (and I include Dier amongst those).

He looks so assured in everything he does.
He was even covering at left back, very effectively, a couple of times tonight.

If he continues in the same vein I could see him being a regular starter by the end of the season.

Credit to Poch for making this sub. Alli wasn't having a tremendous night and we just needed something to plug a few holes in midfield to stop the Hull counter – which they'd threatened a few times by then.

It wasn't a shut up shop, preserve the 1-0, defensive kind of sub. Just a smart one to stifle the only real outlet Hull had, whilst giving us an extra drive in midfield to get the ball forwards quickly.

Wow. Looks like we've got another "one of our own" about to break through as a Prem regular. If he turns out to be half as good as Modric, I'll be a very happy man!

I will repeat it again. This is a special player. Long may he continue to improve.

I do agree with you, i am very careful about praising ' one of our own" players after just a few games. Over the years i have seen many youngsters fail to live up to the hype that is thrust upon them, but from the little i have seen him play at top level he seems to be a level above the likes of Mason, Bentaleb and Onoma.

There is something about the way he seems assured on and off the ball, he has his head up all the time and looking to move into space. I really hope he goes on and shows what he can do.

Winks is looking very good IMHO.
The speed of his decision making is very good, it gives him a bit more time on the ball!
Not the finished article but looking good!

Don't know if it's already been discussed elsewhere as I've been away for a bit.

Just wanted to mention Winks and our second goal against Hull. It's a very good pass from Dier to release Walker. It's a great run, strength, pace, composure, some very good touches and an excellent cross from Walker, and Eriksen made the right run of course.

But the pass from Winks to start it all sets it all up. Switches the play quickly with a one touch pass that is ahead of Dier that allows him to take it in his stride and it lets us exploit the space that is left there around the wing back when Hull pushed over to be compact on the other side. It's the kind of thing that way too often gets overlooked imo. I think if Winks uses two touches instead of one, or if he plays the safer pass right at Dier instead of in front of him, or of course if he plays a very safe pass to another player, that goal doesn't happen.

Can be seen here: http://eachgoal.com/2016/12/tottenham-hotspur-vs-hull-city-3-0-highlights/ (Around the 4:40 mark).

One of the things I like about Winks is you rarely see him stop the ball. He's got the awareness to pick those first time passes, and quick ball is something we've often lacked.

Back