• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Harry Kane MBE

I do. He takes shots from ridiculous places that have almost zero chance of going in. That's the type of self absorbed prick he is. There's being greedy and then there's the wrong choice.

Indeed, imagine that ridiculous shot against Arsenal at the Lane this season, how selfish was that? To think he actually expected to score from such an angle on the left flank, of course he should have passed

Indeed, imagine that ridiculous shot against Arsenal at the Lane this season, how selfish was that? To think he actually expected to score from such an angle on the left flank, of course he should have passed

I think he's talking about Ronaldo, or at least I hope he is.

Only one assist isn't a good return for a striker. Luis Suarez, the most complete striker in the world right now (imho) has 15. Christ, even "me me me" Ronaldo has 11! Aguero had 8 assists last year and 6 the one before. And Kane has the eye for the killer pass. He just doesn't play it often enough.

Being a great striker, as he has proven he is, means you'll draw more attention, which leaves other players unmarked. If you start finding them regularly, it makes it so much harder for defenses, because they won't know what your next move is and who to cover first. That makes you even more deadly and takes your game to a rarefied level. He's only 22, though. I'm sure he'll develop that part of his game more with time.
Actually, I think some of Kane's play actually goes one step BEYOND the assist. My memory's not good enough for specifics, but I'm sure I've seen Kane pull off several "Modric assists" this season. He works so hard and drops so far back that his "assist" is often (sometimes?) the key pass to Eriksen (for example), who then crosses for Lamela or Alli to score.

Oh, there's an example. Alli's wonder-goal against Palace. Wasn't it Kane who won the ball on the right and switched it to Eriksen on the left?

The more I think about it the more I'm flummoxed by this idea that Harry is wasting too many scoring opportunities by shooting rather than passing to someone supposedly better placed. As Bedfordspur and others have pointed out, he is bringing others into play all the time, it's a big part of his game and something that's been widely trumpeted.

No question we also see plenty of times he shoots on sight when he could - and I stress COULD - have chosen to pass, but of those the number of times he SHOULD have because it was patently the better option is to my mind absolutely minimal.

At the end of the day his main job is to put the ball in the back of the net, something he is doing more often than every other player in the PL bar Aguero.

Long may he continue.

Only one assist isn't a good return for a striker. Luis Suarez, the most complete striker in the world right now (imho) has 15. Christ, even "me me me" Ronaldo has 11! Aguero had 8 assists last year and 6 the one before. And Kane has the eye for the killer pass. He just doesn't play it often enough.

Being a great striker, as he has proven he is, means you'll draw more attention, which leaves other players unmarked. If you start finding them regularly, it makes it so much harder for defenses, because they won't know what your next move is and who to cover first. That makes you even more deadly and takes your game to a rarefied level. He's only 22, though. I'm sure he'll develop that part of his game more with time.

Barca & RM play effectively 3 strikers each, its quite natural in those cases the Strikers will get assists (as the one with ball will pull more defenders to them).

Ronaldo passing to Bale, or Suarez passing to Messi does not reduce the likelihood of the goal happening. As much as Alli is great for his age, he does miss some sitters, Harry is the only recognized striker on the team, it's his responsibility to make the goal happen, rightfully he generally decides him taking a 60% shot is probably better than Alli/Eriksen/Lamela taking a 80% chance.

If next season we play a genuine striker next to him, or Alli ups his conversion rate, then I think the assist question comes into play. At the moment, KAne is justified and our goal total (most in PL) also validates the approach.

Apart from scoring goals, I think Kane should also create chances for others as well. I think the fact he only has 1 assist this season, might have cost him the PFA POTY award. Afterall, Mahrez who won the award has 17 goals and 11 assists.

Barca & RM play effectively 3 strikers each, its quite natural in those cases the Strikers will get assists (as the one with ball will pull more defenders to them).

Ronaldo passing to Bale, or Suarez passing to Messi does not reduce the likelihood of the goal happening. As much as Alli is great for his age, he does miss some sitters, Harry is the only recognized striker on the team, it's his responsibility to make the goal happen, rightfully he generally decides him taking a 60% shot is probably better than Alli/Eriksen/Lamela taking a 80% chance.

If next season we play a genuine striker next to him, or Alli ups his conversion rate, then I think the assist question comes into play. At the moment, KAne is justified and our goal total (most in PL) also validates the approach.
Would be interesting to see individual players' conversion ratios.

And Kane going at it from an area with a 60% chance of scoring, instead of finding someone with an 80% chance of scoring is exactly the opposite of how Barca plays. It's not because they effectively have three strikers, it's because they pass to areas with a higher xG.

Would be interesting to see individual players' conversion ratios.

And Kane going at it from an area with a 60% chance of scoring, instead of finding someone with an 80% chance of scoring is exactly the opposite of how Barca plays. It's not because they effectively have three strikers, it's because they pass to areas with a higher xG.

This whole notion that Kane is too greedy is getting way out of hand! How many times have you seen Kane choose to shoot when he clearly should have passed to a better placed team-mate? Could it be you are looking too deeply at his assist stats and drawing the wrong conclusion? Because for my money they tell you absolutely diddly-squat about how often a player declines to pass to someone supposedly better placed.

While I can remember such instances from Kane and others in recent seasons, I'm wont to remind some critics that a player who missed the goal might also have misplaced the pass.

I'm happy with Harry as he is, but would certainly be even happier were he to improve. The more strings you have for your bow, the more the opposition have to worry which you might use.

He's young with an eye for goal. 31 in 51 last season, 27 in 47 so far this. What's not to like?

Just a question.
How many of Harry's goals have actually got us points.
I read somewhere, that the figure is very low compared to Vardy, Mahrez etc.
Anyone have any stats on this.
Thanks

Just a question.
How many of Harry's goals have actually got us points.
I read somewhere, that the figure is very low compared to Vardy, Mahrez etc.
Anyone have any stats on this.
Thanks

well in the 13 games he hasn't scored we haven't won!!!!

Thats a stat that show me how vital he is but also how vital having real cover/alternative for Kane is!!!

well in the 13 games he hasn't scored we haven't won!!!!

Thats a stat that show me how vital he is but also how vital having real cover/alternative for Kane is!!!
Huh? Swansea, Watford twice, Sunderland, Crystal Palace, just to name a few. And that's just in the league.

He hasn't had as many game winners as last year. His goals have been the 2nd in a 2-0 win, or he scores 2 in a 4-1 win, which means that without his goals we'd get the win anyway. Only in the last couple of months have his goals made a more of a difference in the points we get.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to diminish him in any way. He's our star player and without him we wouldn't be where we are. Just want to put in perspective statements to the effect that... "if he doesn't score, we don't win." ;)

His goals have been the 2nd in a 2-0 win, or he scores 2 in a 4-1 win, which means that without his goals we'd get the win anyway. Only in the last couple of months have his goals made a more of a difference in the points we get.

Scoring the last goal in a 4-1 win in the last minute, doesn't matter.
Scoring two early doors to crush the opposition's spirit in a 4-1 win, does matter. A lot.

Of course this discussion is totally daft. Might as well say from now on we need to stop winning by three or four just so Kane's goals can have more value.

:rolleyes:

Back