• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Harry Kane MBE

Have to say I agree. Although fair play to him, he's doing everything in his power (and doing it right) to prove us wrong. I just don't think that long term he's good enough. Will end up at a mid to lower table prem club IMO.

This forum is full of people making knee jerk predictions about players on this forum. I remember the 20 odd matches without a win for Bale and there were many people ready to see the back of him (although after watching his amazing performance in the 3:3 against Fulham I knew he had something about him.) I also remember football fans who after about 10 starts were still calling Ronaldo nothing more than a show pony with all his step overs and diving. What ever happened to him anyway?

I am not saying Kane is going to the rule world but how many of you after his first season at Utd predicted Ronaldo would become one of the top 2 players in the world, and one can make the case that over the past 12 months he is now the best. Just give Kane more time before you write him off, he is still just 20

This forum is full of people making knee jerk predictions about players on this forum. I remember the 20 odd matches without a win for Bale and there were many people ready to see the back of him (although after watching his amazing performance in the 3:3 against Fulham I knew he had something about him.) I also remember football fans who after about 10 starts were still calling Ronaldo nothing more than a show pony with all his step overs and diving. What ever happened to him anyway?

I am not saying Kane is going to the rule world but how many of you after his first season at Utd predicted Ronaldo would become one of the top 2 players in the world, and one can make the case that over the past 12 months he is now the best. Just give Kane more time before you write him off, he is still just 20

True, judging players is a skill (hence some people get paid quite well for it)

I've said it before, Thought Ronaldo was a one trick pony that would go no where, always thought Bale was the real deal, didn't think that much of Bentaleb/Kane, still think Soldado will come good for us.

It's a tough call, to me Kane (more than most) is seeming to change game by game, and more so since we have made him the second striker. Probably still worth giving him a PL loan for a season.

He looked better against WBA but to me his first touch is still not instinctive enough - he dwells on the ball just fractionally too long. Not sure if that is just confidence and needs time but if it isn't I don't think it is something that will significantly improve with age. He is good enough to make a very good living from football but I think he is just going to be that little bit short overall of being top notch.

BlLbREYCEAA1CTJ.jpg

He was unfortunate with injuries during his time at Norwich, I only saw him play for about 30 minutes in total during the season he spent there. During this very short time he looked to have good movement and awareness and it was a surprise for me that he didn't really succeed there.

I love seeing players like Kane come through, but it's interesting to try to work out what will be best for him in the future.

If we have Europa league next season I think he will stick around and will be first choice in the early cup competitions and will find a loan for the mid PL team for the second half of the season when the games start to dry up.

However if we aren't in the Europa league I think finding the perfect loan for a full season would be the best move. Hull for example have got their striker situation sorted out but Kane playing in the team of this season with Livermore and Hudd behind him would have made an impact definitely. I won't be worth him sticking around without EL games and I think there will be teams that have seen what he can do and he should be able to find somewhere to improve his game and try to find consistent goal scoring form at a top level league.

In all honesty though, *disclaimer I'm probably going to come across like an arrogant ****er here*, probably 8+ times out of 10 you can just tell by watching a player if they have the ability to 'make it'. Particularly if you've played the game to a decent level yourself.

Bale for example, always looked like he had something, you could see in the way that he moved the ball, even when he was playing badly. You could see he had footballing intellegence. Same with Ronaldo, KPB is another good example. Watching Sandro before he signed in the Brazilian league. You can just tell.

Of our current 'crop' for me Lamela certainly looks like he has the potential to hit the big time, Soldado, theres a player in there, Bentaleb etc (not to say any of them will hit the heights of Bale, but they could go on to be top class in the prem).

I don't get that feeling from Kane. But like you say, early days. I'm hopeful that I'm wrong but my prediction is that he will end up at West Brom, Norwich or somewhere like that holding down a starting place and playing the rest of his career out at that level, from my gut feeling on him.

Edit: I should add I'm happy to keep him for the next couple of years to see how he develops though.

He was unfortunate with injuries during his time at Norwich, I only saw him play for about 30 minutes in total during the season he spent there. During this very short time he looked to have good movement and awareness and it was a surprise for me that he didn't really succeed there.

I think that Norwich is not a good example of a loan situation for a Striker. They seem to perinally fail to get real service into their Strikers. Van Wolfswinkle is really suffernig with only 1 goal this season and their other strikers are hardly lighting it up.

That said he does seem to have some good attributes. I would be happy to have him stay as a young 3rd Striker behind say Adebayor and one of Lukaku, Bony or Benteke. He is only 20 and things could change a lot for him. A loan to a prem team would be a great. But will anyone take him on and used him on a regular basis?

In all honesty though, *disclaimer I'm probably going to come across like an arrogant ****er here*, probably 8+ times out of 10 you can just tell by watching a player if they have the ability to 'make it'. Particularly if you've played the game to a decent level yourself.

Bale for example, always looked like he had something, you could see in the way that he moved the ball, even when he was playing badly. You could see he had footballing intellegence. Same with Ronaldo, KPB is another good example. Watching Sandro before he signed in the Brazilian league. You can just tell.

Of our current 'crop' for me Lamela certainly looks like he has the potential to hit the big time, Soldado, theres a player in there, Bentaleb etc (not to say any of them will hit the heights of Bale, but they could go on to be top class in the prem).

I don't get that feeling from Kane. But like you say, early days. I'm hopeful that I'm wrong but my prediction is that he will end up at West Brom, Norwich or somewhere like that holding down a starting place and playing the rest of his career out at that level, from my gut feeling on him.

Edit: I should add I'm happy to keep him for the next couple of years to see how he develops though.

That pretty much sums it up for me other than the having played at a decent level bit. You simply need to be able to separate what you see from what you read/hear and ignore hype is all.

Sorry but Im not sure where this 'he has a poor touch' is coming from, from what Ive seen his touch and technique is good....
In both the games he has played he has missed the easier chances after doing the hard work IMO (creating space and having a great first touch), but once he scores he looks a very different player and looks like he could be anything

His first touches seem good but his confidence in his shooting much less so

He strikes me as one of those that needs that arrogance of the great strikers and confidence that he will score every time

You're talking about a very high level with the players that you "knew would make it". This also doesn't include the amount of players you "knew would make it" that didn't reach that level and players that you didn't immediately realize how good they would become that did become great. Very easy to get tricked by confirmation bias into thinking that it's easier to spot who will make it and who won't.

I agree that Kane hasn't shown as much promise as Bale did early days and Bentaleb has so far. I also agree with your attitude that he should be given time though, you're not one of those writing him off at this point and I think that's all Najia was asking.

That pretty much sums it up for me other than the having played at a decent level bit. You simply need to be able to separate what you see from what you read/hear and ignore hype is all.

You don't have to have played at all. I just think it helps when trying to judge a player, but its certainly not a necessity.

You're talking about a very high level with the players that you "knew would make it". This also doesn't include the amount of players you "knew would make it" that didn't reach that level and players that you didn't immediately realize how good they would become that did become great. Very easy to get tricked by confirmation bias into thinking that it's easier to spot who will make it and who won't.

I agree that Kane hasn't shown as much promise as Bale did early days and Bentaleb has so far. I also agree with your attitude that he should be given time though, you're not one of those writing him off at this point and I think that's all Najia was asking.

When I say 'knew would make it' I mean to a level that we want to aim for, so good enough for the top four really. Obviously all of the players have made it to a certain degree.

I can honestly say *again disclaimer* that I don't think I've ever thought wow this guy is going to be top quality and it not come true or vice versa. Off the top of my head I thought Sean Davis could have gone on to be a good player for us, there's probably others that I've got wrong but I do feel that 90% of the time I can make my mind up about someone within the first few weeks of seeing them and generally it turns out to be correct.

Townsend won't make it with us. Said it at the start of the season, during his good run of form and right now. Neither will Holtby.

When I say 'knew would make it' I mean to a level that we want to aim for, so good enough for the top four really. Obviously all of the players have made it to a certain degree.

I can honestly say *again disclaimer* that I don't think I've ever thought wow this guy is going to be top quality and it not come true or vice versa. Off the top of my head I thought Sean Davis could have gone on to be a good player for us, there's probably others that I've got wrong but I do feel that 90% of the time I can make my mind up about someone within the first few weeks of seeing them and generally it turns out to be correct.

Townsend won't make it with us. Said it at the start of the season, during his good run of form and right now. Neither will Holtby.

If that is remotely true mate, you should be earning money for it.

Some players are more obvious than others ..

btw, agree with you on Townsend

I think with the right manager, with a manager that will both coach and guide them and not just train them, I see no reason while either cannot succeed here. Townsend for instance definitely has the raw materials but just lacks in the decision making department. I think both players are young enough to improve with the right guidance. I will be disappointed if we do not get Holtby back here next season

I think with the right manager, with a manager that will both coach and guide them and not just train them, I see no reason while either cannot succeed here. Townsend for instance definitely has the raw materials but just lacks in the decision making department. I think both players are young enough to improve with the right guidance. I will be disappointed if we do not get Holtby back here next season

The majority of players learn that behaviour very early on in their career, it's very difficult to coach it into them at an older age. I don't think he will.

I'd still take Holtby back too, not totally convinced he's not going to be good enough yet, prepared to give him a bit more time, plus he seems to give his all which I do like.

Thought of another one I got wrong, I really thought Lennon would push on to become a regular for England.

There's bound to be more, just can't think right now

It is quite sad to me how some people are ready to dismiss players like Kane, Townsend and Bentaleb as **** (or not good enough) after seeing them a few times yet we have an expensive import like Lamela that even though has looked **** (when he has actually played) gets backed to the death

I know he has more of a track record but it's quite sad and the foreign flavour of the month always looks better, if anything our homegrown players should be given even more of a chance but the general consensus is if they are homegrown they are not good enough for spurs

The majority of players learn that behaviour very early on in their career, it's very difficult to coach it into them at an older age. I don't think he will.

I would disagree, decision making is not a thing you master in your teens, not for most players.

It is quite sad to me how some people are ready to dismiss players like Kane, Townsend and Bentaleb as **** (or not good enough) after seeing them a few times yet we have an expensive import like Lamela that even though has looked **** (when he has actually played) gets backed to the death

I know he has more of a track record but it's quite sad and the foreign flavour of the month always looks better, if anything our homegrown players should be given even more of a chance but the general consensus is if they are homegrown they are not good enough for spurs

I think it is ridiculous to just give up on a 20 year old who has just scored 2 goals in his first 2 league starts for us.

This is the same spurious generalisation as the "Crouch would have been fully appreciated if he had only been called Crouchillinho".

"Great touch for a big man" = average touch for a EPL footballer whether he is from Basingstoke or Brasilia.

Many of us are capable of either seeing beyond the nationality or indeed not even considering it as a factor when commenting on a player.

For me, Townsend, like Walcott struggles with the football brain bit. Kane, lacks the speed of instinct and will be found out against good teams. Bentaleb has the brain, has the touch, think he should be good, but then he is french, I suppose.

Back