• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Harry Kane MBE

I would disagree, decision making is not a thing you master in your teens, not for most players.

No one masters anything in their teens, but good decision making is a fundamental aspect of being a good footballer.

It can be coached to a certain extent, Steve McManaman is a good example of that, but the player needs have the relevant footballing intelligence for the coaching to actually work. I don't think Townsend has this. At his age we would have seen more signs of it by now if he did.

This is the same spurious generalisation as the "Crouch would have been fully appreciated if he had only been called Crouchillinho".

"Great touch for a big man" = average touch for a EPL footballer whether he is from Basingstoke or Brasilia.

Many of us are capable of either seeing beyond the nationality or indeed not even considering it as a factor when commenting on a player.

For me, Townsend, like Walcott struggles with the football brain bit. Kane, lacks the speed of instinct and will be found out against good teams. Bentaleb has the brain, has the touch, think he should be good, but then he is french, I suppose.

Hate that saying with a passion.

Good post, which pretty much sums up my thoughts.

For me, Townsend, like Walcott struggles with the football brain bit. Kane, lacks the speed of instinct and will be found out against good teams. Bentaleb has the brain, has the touch, think he should be good, but then he is french, I suppose.

In Walcott you see a player with out a footballing brain, I on the other hand see a winger who prior to his injury this season scored 5 league goals in 13 matches and last season scored 21 goals in all competition. Add to that the fact that he scores against us for fun methinks he has not done bad for one without a footballing brain

I also think if Townsend was simply encouraged to get down the wing and whip balls into the box and shoot less he will come across as a more effective player

I also think if Townsend was simply encouraged to get down the wing and whip balls into the box and shoot less he will come across as a more effective player

Players "without a football brain" can do an effective job in a system (hence Wallnut)

I agree with your point, Townsend should be told go wide, get behind defense if possible, deliver a cross.

He can even be told to use a formula (keep in his mind), 3 crosses, 1 shot, that way he makes sure he is mixing it up, instead of 900 shots in a row

Players "without a football brain" can do an effective job in a system (hence Wallnut)

I agree with your point, Townsend should be told go wide, get behind defense if possible, deliver a cross.

He can even be told to use a formula (keep in his mind), 3 crosses, 1 shot, that way he makes sure he is mixing it up, instead of 900 shots in a row

this.
and its always been this way - i can't think of too many teams (even 70s Brazil, albeit to a lesser extent) that won anything with 11 Glenn Hoddle's in their team.
you need a balance if the silky sexy intelligent footballers and the one who will follow instructions instinctively, trusting in the tactics and that the intelligent players will "make it happen" for them. (which is exactly what Walcott does. infact you could argue he is intelligent in a different way - he plays to his strengths and is very effective at it. intelligent enough to not do things he isn't capable of)

as for Kane - he has the brain and with a bit of time has a good chance to develop.
im not convinced he will become anything more than a good championship player - but he certainly has the raw abilities and the brain (which cannot be taught) to be given a chance to see where he goes.

i actually think if we added some genuine pace to out team, with the like of Eriksen, Lamela (assuming he settle next season - i think he will) and Kane, we could rip teams open in the way Harry's teams did, in the counter attack and opening up the pitch.

Townsend isn't in the that bracket for me - he has some pace, but he isn't incisive enough.

Genuinely excited about the future for Harry Kane.

Just wish he would shut his mouth when out of breath.

Wonders if his nickname at any time was Trout mouth :-k

He has this thing about playing with his mouth open

SausageServlet-4-375913.jpg

I find it odd lol

Last edited:
this.
and its always been this way - i can't think of too many teams (even 70s Brazil, albeit to a lesser extent) that won anything with 11 Glenn Hoddle's in their team.
you need a balance if the silky sexy intelligent footballers and the one who will follow instructions instinctively, trusting in the tactics and that the intelligent players will "make it happen" for them. (which is exactly what Walcott does. infact you could argue he is intelligent in a different way - he plays to his strengths and is very effective at it. intelligent enough to not do things he isn't capable of)

This is a good point. David Beckham was a very intellegent footballer. He knew that he couldn't dribble for ****, but he could strike a ball beautifully and was extremely fit. So he built his game around working hard, free-kicks and delivering fantastic balls.

Compare him to David Bentley on the other hand who had somewhat similar attributes (at least in his ability to strike a ball). Who is the more intelligent footballer?

Brilliant point about Beckham. Beckham was brilliant at what he did and didn't ever attempt to do anything he wasn't good at. I think about this every time Dawson hits one of those hollywood passes. I'm thinking, "if you just accepted you were just a stopper, you'd be an absolutely brilliant player".

Brilliant point about Beckham. Beckham was brilliant at what he did and didn't ever attempt to do anything he wasn't good at. I think about this every time Dawson hits one of those hollywood passes. I'm thinking, "if you just accepted you were just a stopper, you'd be an absolutely brilliant player".

steady on dude!

Good to see a youngster who's come through the Spurs ranks make an impact in the first team during these tumultuous times.

@OptaJoe: 3 - Harry Kane is the first Tottenham player to score in three consecutive Premier League games since Gareth Bale in May 2013. Machine.

stood up to be counted when his highly paid international prima donna did not.

3 goals in 8 Premier League appearances give Harry Kane a strike-rate of a goal for every 2.67 matches played.

That puts him in 7th place in our All-Time Premier League Table just behind Rafael van der Vaart and just ahead of Chris Armstrong.

The thing that stands out for Kane is his movement and composure. Unusual things to see in a player so inexperienced.

The thing that stands out for Kane is his movement and composure. Unusual things to see in a player so inexperienced.

Slower players like Teddy etc make up for the lack of pace by using intelligence and movement. Players who are quick not so much. Its a generalisation but more true than not. Players who are quick and fairly intelligent are the expensive world class lot.

Back