• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Harry Kane MBE

ParchedImpressiveAmericanbadger.gif

Not picking on you Steff (okay, maybe a bit ...) but this is an interesting thread from post 1.

Go easy on Steff. He wasn't the only one thinking that!! I must admit I had major reservations about Harry up till the autumn. Always thought a Championship club would be where he'd end up. Unlike people like Owen who came in with a bang, Harry's improvement has been so gradual and consistent that it just slipped under the radar for many including Spurs fans....

I'd prefer to leave Pritchard out getting games right now.

Relatively proven (not final product, but at least a season at top level), right wing forward who scores is what we need right now

We could also do with some pace in advanced areas as well. Think its one of our main weaknesses at the moment

I'd look at Kevin Mirallas, 18 months left on his deal, maybe we could tempt Everton.

Yea I reckon you could have picked any number of posts from a year ago and they'd be saying the similar to Steff there.

Agreed. Further more I think he was right. Kane wasn't "the answer" at that point in time, he has proven himself very talented and good since then. But to claim that someone that young and unproven is "the answer" would be rather strange imo.

I'd look at Kevin Mirallas, 18 months left on his deal, maybe we could tempt Everton.

Certainly wouldn't be a bad option. Capable of playing several roles behind the striker too.

A lot of exciting options if we want to add another attacking midfielder to our ranks, don't think it's a massive priority.

I dunno, the club are usually pretty quick to reward young players who step up their development - i can't imagine his recent contract reflects his rise in standing at the club this season so i wouldn't be surprised to see a further renewal come the summer.
Levy needs to increase his wages at least up to the level of the likes of Soladado and Lamela. Kane is really carrying our attack, works his bollox off every game, why doesn't he deserve to be close to one of the top earners. He is now a top player. If he was playing for another club and Spurs tried to buy him, he would cost a small fortune. Get on it Levy!!

LOVE THIS GUY.

Heard very good things about him for a long time and was quite surprised that he had the hype after his first handful of games. However under TS he started to look a competent squad player and then this year he has absolutely exploded to a level that i don't think anyone could have predicted.

Such is his all round game and athleticism that I seriously can't see this being a random hot streak and I think that he will hopefully go onto be a big player for us and England over the next few years.

Now to buy a number 9 with pace to share the burden/partner with him and we could have a very exciting forward line!

Levy needs to increase his wages at least up to the level of the likes of Soladado and Lamela. Kane is really carrying our attack, works his bollox off every game, why doesn't he deserve to be close to one of the top earners. He is now a top player. If he was playing for another club and Spurs tried to buy him, he would cost a small fortune. Get on it Levy!!

If Levy can get two contract extensions out of increasing Kane's wages to the level of Soldado and Lamela that would be much better for the club than just "getting on it" and making him one of our top earners tomorrow.

If Levy can get two contract extensions out of increasing Kane's wages to the level of Soldado and Lamela that would be much better for the club than just "getting on it" and making him one of our top earners tomorrow.
That's why players coming through the ranks are always at a disadvantage. Why should Kane have to wait?

He is outperforming the big money signings around him. I have nothing against the likes of Bobby and Lamela, but they have really struggled to offer the consistency and performances that Kane is producing so why shouldnt his next contract renewal put him on par with them. Im sure if we tried to bring in Berahino he would want to be paid around 60k a week. Tbh that amount inst even that much anymore with all the money swishing around the game. If I was Kane and his agent that would be the level id expect to be bumped up to.

Just my opinion ion though.

That's why players coming through the ranks are always at a disadvantage. Why should Kane have to wait?

He is outperforming the big money signings around him. I have nothing against the likes of Bobby and Lamela, but they have really struggled to offer the consistency and performances that Kane is producing so why shouldnt his next contract renewal put him on par with them. Im sure if we tried to bring in Berahino he would want to be paid around 60k a week. Tbh that amount inst even that much anymore with all the money swishing around the game. If I was Kane and his agent that would be the level id expect to be bumped up to.

Because he has 4.5 years left on his current deal. Football, like life, is not always fair. I agree that we shouldn't wait 2-3 years before extending, that seems ridiculous. But for us to offer him more money just because without getting extensions in return when we know how quickly loyalties change in football seems naive and very unfortunate for us as a club.

I see it less as a disadvantage to the player and an advantage to us as a club. It's not all that different to when we sign players on low or reasonable wages from smaller leagues. Why should they have to wait?

Number of reasons for the logic (and I'm not saying pay Kane less than anyone else)

- too high a wage puts additional pressure
- Kane seems like the real deal, but it's still only about a half a season run at this point
- in my company we evaluate people on "what" (results, in Kane's case = goals/assists), "how" (plan/effort, training/listening to tactics/etc.) and "proven performance" (have you done it before). Kane has 2 of 3, but still has to show the last (and yes that may seem unfair).

I could see him getting a initial pay bump with performance clauses (so he could effectively earn the same as others, if his performances continue) and then perhaps in summer or early next year, full bump to higher bracket. In each case we would add something then benefits the club as well to contract e.g. extension

I dunno, the club are usually pretty quick to reward young players who step up their development - i can't imagine his recent contract reflects his rise in standing at the club this season so i wouldn't be surprised to see a further renewal come the summer.

Too quick in some cases or at least the pay rises are too big.

I dread to think what state we'd be in financially if we took heed of some of our supporters ideas :lol:

Kane will get a new contract and a wage rise - of what importance is it to us the amount he's happy to agree to?

It looks pretty easy being Harry Kane right now. Is there a footballer having more of a ball anywhere in the world than Tottenham’s deliciously irrepressible centre-forward? Here is a player who simply keeps on refusing to find his level, to plateau out, to look down and feel the first little twinge after five months of vertiginous ascent from bit-part midweek man to the most impressive English centre-forward currently playing and one of the stories of the Premier League season so far.

Victories against the league leaders are rare enough but this rollicking 5-3 defeat of a tired-looking Chelsea was a tonic in so many other ways. Not only did it leave Tottenham in fifth place, above Arsenal, this was a win that spoke to a wider clunking into gear of Mauricio Pochettino’s hard-running, hard-pressing methods, executed here by a team with five former youth team players in the starting XI.

Chief among them was Kane, who played the role of goalscorer, folk hero and chief all-round inspirationalist, scoring twice with superbly executed right-foot daisy cutters, winning a penalty in between, setting up another for Nacer Chadli and generally leaving Gary Cahill scrabbling around White Hart Lane like a dazed city-centre reveller, comedy antlers askew, still wondering where the last night-bus home leaves from.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2015/jan/01/harry-kane-tottenham-folk-hero-Chel53a

Because he has 4.5 years left on his current deal. Football, like life, is not always fair. I agree that we shouldn't wait 2-3 years before extending, that seems ridiculous. But for us to offer him more money just because without getting extensions in return when we know how quickly loyalties change in football seems naive and very unfortunate for us as a club.

I see it less as a disadvantage to the player and an advantage to us as a club. It's not all that different to when we sign players on low or reasonable wages from smaller leagues. Why should they have to wait?

I just hope that the club don't take for granted that Kane came through the ranks, is young, a local boy, a Tottenham fan, family are the same etc etc. Early days I know, but finally it looks like we have found a truly top class forward who is going through the early stages of a kind of Bale like meteoric rise. Of course there will always be bigger clubs with shed loads more money that will try to turn his head, but I'm just saying that we on our part should try our best to reward him financially for the stuff he is producing week in week out.

I just hope that the club don't take for granted that Kane came through the ranks, is young, a local boy, a Tottenham fan, family are the same etc etc. Early days I know, but finally it looks like we have found a truly top class forward who is going through the early stages of a kind of Bale like meteoric rise. Of course there will always be bigger clubs with shed loads more money that will try to turn his head, but I'm just saying that we on our part should try our best to reward him financially for the stuff he is producing week in week out.

You really think making him one of our top earners now without also extending the length of his contract is the best way to keep him around long term?

You really see no point in 2-3 years from now again being in a situation where we can offer him a significantly increased contract running another 4-5 years?

Edit: And I see absolutely no reason to be worried at all that the club will take anything for granted. Daniel Levy is excellent on these issues.

It looks pretty easy being Harry Kane right now. Is there a footballer having more of a ball anywhere in the world than Tottenham’s deliciously irrepressible centre-forward? Here is a player who simply keeps on refusing to find his level, to plateau out, to look down and feel the first little twinge after five months of vertiginous ascent from bit-part midweek man to the most impressive English centre-forward currently playing and one of the stories of the Premier League season so far.

Victories against the league leaders are rare enough but this rollicking 5-3 defeat of a tired-looking Chel53a was a tonic in so many other ways. Not only did it leave Tottenham in fifth place, above Arsenal, this was a win that spoke to a wider clunking into gear of Mauricio Pochettino’s hard-running, hard-pressing methods, executed here by a team with five former youth team players in the starting XI.

Chief among them was Kane, who played the role of goalscorer, folk hero and chief all-round inspirationalist, scoring twice with superbly executed right-foot daisy cutters, winning a penalty in between, setting up another for Nacer Chadli and generally leaving Gary Cahill scrabbling around White Hart Lane like a dazed city-centre reveller, comedy antlers askew, still wondering where the last night-bus home leaves from.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2015/jan/01/harry-kane-tottenham-folk-hero-Chel53a

Good bit of writing, that.

As compared with Sam Wallace's strangely flat account in the I today. You'd think Kane was just another minor irritant causing a blip in Mourinho's majestic surge to the title.

You really think making him one of our top earners now without also extending the length of his contract is the best way to keep him around long term?

You really see no point in 2-3 years from now again being in a situation where we can offer him a significantly increased contract running another 4-5 years?

Edit: And I see absolutely no reason to be worried at all that the club will take anything for granted. Daniel Levy is excellent on these issues.

His current contract is until 2019. Let's say he signs a new one now until 2020 which let's say is double what he is on now, and then just like we did with Bale review and offer an increase every summer which keeps him in line with the top earners at the club. How about that then.

His current contract is until 2019. Let's say he signs a new one now until 2020 which let's say is double what he is on now, and then just like we did with Bale review and offer an increase every summer which keeps him in line with the top earners at the club. How about that then.

Would make a lot more sense than making him one of our top earners now without getting any significant extension.

On what actually should be done I will just say that I trust Levy and Baldini/Poch/whoevers. They will know the details of his current deal, they will actually talk to the player and hear him out, they will know of all the options available to us and they're experienced at these kinds of things. Levy is very good with contracts like I said.

Kane is obviously delighted right now. Must be fantastic for him. If his main focus right now is making as much money as possible in the next 12 months or if he needs to make as much as say Soldado right now to keep himself motivated it doesn't make much sense to me.

You give him a small merit based pay rise and put the carrot in front of him that if he carries on at the rate he currently it will be reviewed again in a years time.

That way you mitigate the money and leave him hungry for more...

I think clubs paying out big wages in you get unproven players end up struggling when they ding turn out to be the man they think they have ... You only need to look at Bentner at arsenal to see that

Back