• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Grealish

I'd be very surprised if Grealish - as good as he may go on to be - was our 'marquee' signing this season.*

We are so close to being real contenders and what with continued CL qualification (and being the only place in London that has it this season!!) and the media attention that the new stadium will undoubtedly bring I would think that now is the time to make a true statement of intent.

I would guess that if we do sign him he'd end up being 2nd or 3rd on the bill, not the headliner so to speak.

*- drumroll, please - comments re not ever spending any money, Levy too tight, wages, etc... :)

I thinking you are hoping what we all are.

However I really cant see us doing this.

flimflame......what is so special about getting him in for the US tour. If they've waited this long to " pull the trigger " I think the club can wait even longer if they want to in order to get him for the price they want.

Grealish is not for the first team, yet. He will go into the squad, get a few cup games in a couple of months, and eventually stand to compete for a place. Considering which, whats the rush? And will an extra week or so make that great a difference at this point?

"Pull the trigger" is just another media phrase. If we're really interested in him, then talks will have been going on for some time and it's just as likely that there are issues at Villa's end dragging this out as it is Spurs delaying things. We don't operate in a vacuum. Players, agents and other clubs have their own ideas.

Wouldnt be at all surprised if Villa were trying to line up a buy to soften the blow of selling the crown jewels.

"Pull the trigger" is just another media phrase. If we're really interested in him, then talks will have been going on for some time and it's just as likely that there are issues at Villa's end dragging this out as it is Spurs delaying things. We don't operate in a vacuum. Players, agents and other clubs have their own ideas.

Villa will have to sell on deadline day, probably for about 10-15 mill. Levy knows

How about the bleedin' obvious that most of our signings under Poch have a poor first season when they are signed just before the season starts, with the one notable exception being Sanchez last summer.
Most? Think again! Dier, Alli, Son, Aldereiweld, Wanyama and Sanchez all hit the ground running, whilst some who were brought in either as back up or for the future, eg Vorm, Gazzaniga, Trippier, Foyth, Aurier and Moura all did well enough when called upon in their first season. I believe Davies was expected to be our first choice LWB on arrival from Swansea but Rose - who'd just returned from a successful loan at Sunderland - kept him out. Not sure you could argue he had a poor first season, but maybe.

It's true that Fazio and Wimmer ultimately came up short but both definitely had good spells in their first season.

Of the remainder, most would agree that Stambouli, N'Jie, N'Koudou, Janssen, Sissoko and Llorente were poor to varying extents. The youngster Yedlin made just one first-team appearance and Lopez, who arrived on loan from Espanyol returned empty-handed.

So even if you disagree with some of the above verdicts, to argue that most of Poch's buys had poor first seasons is to do him a disservice. For my part I'd argue he's been pretty successful in that respect.

I dont know that most signings have been "poor" in their first season.

BUT - I do think most have been significantly better in their second.
I think its fairer to say those who havent had a full pre season with Poch have been average-poor, or even just simply not used much. Then in the subsequent season have shown improvements....

So even if you disagree with some of the above verdicts, to argue that most of Poch's buys had poor first seasons is to do him a disservice. For my part I'd argue he's been pretty successful in that respect.

At no stage did I insinuate that most of Poch's buys had poor first seasons, what I actually said was "most of our signings under Poch have a poor first season when they are signed just before the season starts".

So underwhelmed at the thought of this.

I am not underwhelmed with this signing per se, but I am seriously underwhelmed with the fact that the season starts in three and a half weeks and he appears to be the only player we have been seriously linked with.

Agree with this, as we all know ( or should do) there is no guarantee that any signing is going to be a good one or not. I think that we have been as good as any team in that we have bought players who after Poch has them up to speed ( and that usually takes longer then a pre season anyway) we have had more hits then failures.

I'd be very surprised if Grealish - as good as he may go on to be - was our 'marquee' signing this season.*

He's definitely more a

291382e

As long as Poch is still smiling that's fine! From memory he said something towards the end of last season about having players in in time for the US tour, and I'm guessing we fly out soon. Levy and Poch are both critical for the club, and fundamental to our success - just hope Poch is happy and is aligned with our approach

As long as Poch is still smiling that's fine! From memory he said something towards the end of last season about having players in in time for the US tour, and I'm guessing we fly out soon. Levy and Poch are both critical for the club, and fundamental to our success - just hope Poch is happy and is aligned with our approach
Guessing Levy would have given him some sort of assurances about his summer transfer plans before persuading him to sign a new 5 year contract in May.

Guessing Levy would have given him some sort of assurances about his summer transfer plans before persuading him to sign a new 5 year contract in May.

Yep - I cant remember the timing of his comments about needing to 'be brave' and having the signings in place in time for the US trip, relative to when he signed his contract. There's obviously been minimal public comments from Poch for the last couple months, though presumably he'll have press conferences before/after the games in the US so we might start to get some more colour on where we are with transfers, and his view on them, at that point though he has a reasonably ok poker face.

From memory, not many of our signings in recent years which come out of the blue - Llorente is one. Lots of them (Sanchez, Aurier, Moura) are speculated about in the press for a few days before. Its part of the reason why I think Grealish will happen (and given the rumoured price, I think is a relatively low-risk bet, plus is English)

Yep - I cant remember the timing of his comments about needing to 'be brave' and having the signings in place in time for the US trip, relative to when he signed his contract. There's obviously been minimal public comments from Poch for the last couple months, though presumably he'll have press conferences before/after the games in the US so we might start to get some more colour on where we are with transfers, and his view on them, at that point though he has a reasonably ok poker face.

From memory, not many of our signings in recent years which come out of the blue - Llorente is one. Lots of them (Sanchez, Aurier, Moura) are speculated about in the press for a few days before. Its part of the reason why I think Grealish will happen (and given the rumoured price, I think is a relatively low-risk bet, plus is English)
Those comments were made by Poch shortly before the news broke that he had signed a new contract. Poch indicated afterwards that he and the Chairman were of the same mind about the overall strategy and direction of the club, but he rowed back on his demand that the Board to bring transfers as early as possible in the window, in essence accepting that the burden of the new stadium means the club is not in a position to go out and buy top players but will have to continue to box clever and play the market to the best of its ability.

In other words he once again lost that particular battle so expect players to arrive on deadline day as per usual. :(

Agree with this, as we all know ( or should do) there is no guarantee that any signing is going to be a good one or not. I think that we have been as good as any team in that we have bought players who after Poch has them up to speed ( and that usually takes longer then a pre season anyway) we have had more hits then failures.

And therein lies the rub, the sooner we get players in the sooner Poch gets them up to speed.

Back