• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

General Transfer Rumour Discussion Thread

He had a 4 year contract in summer 2013, so 2 years left. DoFs have to be long term appointments, as they don't tend to show fruit for a couple of years.

I still don't see how he is being marginalised when he has just been allowed to recruit a team of 4 new senior staff?

More of a threat is that Luis Enrique will get his way and Barcelona will come in for him (Enrique has been lobbying the board for Baldini)

At this point there's really no way of knowing from the outside if the new appointments have been made to support Baldini, at his request strengthening the scouting and player evaluation team. It's just as reasonable to think that the new appointments have been made either because we expect to get rid of Baldini so other "footballing men" have been brought in. Or that Baldini has been marginalized to a point, that his powers have been diluted somewhat, but that we expect him to stay on.

All explanations might not be equally likely, but all are at least plausible. I think Levy could handle the situation exactly like this if at some point this season it was decided that Baldini was done. Instead of sacking him immediately and have to give him a significant pay off keep him around doing what he can do until the summer where potentially someone like Barca will even pay us some compensation to take him off our hands. At the same time I think it's perfectly plausible that Levy would handle the situation like this if he trusts Baldini and thinks he will do a good job. Strengthen the team around him, bring in more qualified people and potentially line up a replacement in Mitchell should Baldini get Arnesened away from us.

At this point there's really no way of knowing from the outside if the new appointments have been made to support Baldini, at his request strengthening the scouting and player evaluation team. It's just as reasonable to think that the new appointments have been made either because we expect to get rid of Baldini so other "footballing men" have been brought in. Or that Baldini has been marginalized to a point, that his powers have been diluted somewhat, but that we expect him to stay on.

All explanations might not be equally likely, but all are at least plausible. I think Levy could handle the situation exactly like this if at some point this season it was decided that Baldini was done. Instead of sacking him immediately and have to give him a significant pay off keep him around doing what he can do until the summer where potentially someone like Barca will even pay us some compensation to take him off our hands. At the same time I think it's perfectly plausible that Levy would handle the situation like this if he trusts Baldini and thinks he will do a good job. Strengthen the team around him, bring in more qualified people and potentially line up a replacement in Mitchell should Baldini get Arnesened away from us.

Business doesn't usually work like that though. You recruit from the top down.

If Baldini was leaving in the summer, we'd get his replacement (say Monchi) in first, then let the new guy assemble his own team. The worse thing for a new director is to be stuck with a team of deputies assembled by your predecessor

I know both are possible, but to me it looks very much like backing Baldini by letting him build a supporting infrastructure

Business doesn't usually work like that though. You recruit from the top down.

If Baldini was leaving in the summer, we'd get his replacement (say Monchi) in first, then let the new guy assemble his own team. The worse thing for a new director is to be stuck with a team of deputies assembled by your predecessor

I know both are possible, but to me it looks very much like backing Baldini by letting him build a supporting infrastructure

Unless Mitchell and a more technical director type person are wanted to work as a team instead of one strong DoF type like Baldini.

All I'm saying is at this point we can't really be sure what happens behind the scenes in the summer. And we agree :)

http://metro.co.uk/2015/04/11/totte...fer-of-german-wonderkid-julian-weigl-5143907/

ITK from the metro says that we are looking to trigger this lads buyout clause. The original source is Bild in Germany. Anyone know much about the lad?

Only what's in the article. And that Levy loves a good buyout clause ;)

---------------------------------------------

Speaking of "what do people know about him"?

I remember he was discussed on here at some point before. I think I remember someone saying that he was a good talent, but can't remember much more. Looks decent on youtube, scored 1 in 3-ish for a poor team in Serie A.

Edit: Just to be clear, huge pinch of salt as always when some club that wants to sell a player are claiming that we've made a bid...

Last edited:
Only what's in the article. And that Levy loves a good buyout clause ;)

---------------------------------------------

Speaking of "what do people know about him"?

I remember he was discussed on here at some point before. I think I remember someone saying that he was a good talent, but can't remember much more. Looks decent on youtube, scored 1 in 3-ish for a poor team in Serie A.

Edit: Just to be clear, huge pinch of salt as always when some club that wants to sell a player are claiming that we've made a bid...
Maybe just an unflattering photo but he looks a bit tubby doesn't he?!

The read-up from Wikipedia makes Zaza sound like a good target. "Hard-working" in particular.

Pretty sure Ings and Rodriguez are about the only two forwards on our list. I don't think we'll buy a forward from abroad again (unless its a 3rd choice/someone for the academy).

Encouraging it is from Bild, which is more reliable than UK papers.

He's good on FM, so maybe one generated by the Black Box algorithms

Or a Levy algorithm ;)

[x] German youth international.
[x] Captained club side as a teenager.
[x] Low release clause.

If that doesn't trigger an email alert, nothing does...

Maybe just an unflattering photo but he looks a bit tubby doesn't he?!

A bit Mido-esque by that picture.

The read-up from Wikipedia makes Zaza sound like a good target. "Hard-working" in particular.

10 yellows in the league so far this season. 10 last season too.When was the last time we had a striker suspended for 10 yellows?

Unless Mitchell and a more technical director type person are wanted to work as a team instead of one strong DoF type like Baldini.

All I'm saying is at this point we can't really be sure what happens behind the scenes in the summer. And we agree :)

Cortese would be a very obvious fit for that perhaps?

Pretty sure Ings and Rodriguez are about the only two forwards on our list. I don't think we'll buy a forward from abroad again (unless its a 3rd choice/someone for the academy).

PL forwards come at a premium Levy won't pay, with the exception of those two of course (although I suspect Ings' tribunal fee will be significantly higher than what most people are currently expecting it to be). I don't think we're done with the continent, not by a large margin.

PL forwards come at a premium Levy won't pay, with the exception of those two of course (although I suspect Ings' tribunal fee will be significantly higher than what most people are currently expecting it to be). I don't think we're done with the continent, not by a large margin.

I reckon Ings will be about £5m at the tribunal, judging by other recent cases

Rodriguez should hopefully be under £10m with 1 year on his contract and coming back from injury.

£13-14m for the pair would be exceptional business.

Perhaps re the continent we just need to pick the right country - i.e. Germany rather than Spain, Italy or France. It worked well last time (Berbatov)

I reckon Ings will be about £5m at the tribunal, judging by other recent cases

Rodriguez should hopefully be under £10m with 1 year on his contract and coming back from injury.

£13-14m for the pair would be exceptional business.

Perhaps re the continent we just need to pick the right country - i.e. Germany rather than Spain, Italy or France. It worked well last time (Berbatov)

I don't think S'oton would ask for that much for Rodriguez, especially given that he'll likely finish this season without a major appearance. Ings, I'd put around the 7.5 million mark.

I agree though, they'd be a good pair to pick up if they can be had for the prize being quoted for, say, Zaza. Crucially, Poch seems to want at least J-Rod. As for the continent, again, mostly agree - Spain and Italy haven't been good fishing grounds for us, and there's more value to be had in the Bundesliga imo.

we will probably lose out on Rodriguez because in no way will Levy want to pay the wages he wants because of being out so long due to a bad injury. I think he will end up at Liverpool tbh

I'd be so underwhelmed if we signed Jay Rodriguez.

Really? I rate him as up there with Kane and Sturridge as the best English forwards.

He has the pace and directness that no-one else in our side has, and is an excellent finisher

Back