• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

General Transfer Rumour Discussion Thread

Comolli said our scouting was the laughing stock of Europe during that period.

It's not Redknapp's fault per se, but a coach's interests are often counter to the long term, which is why you need a DoF

I get that Redknapp looked for solutions that would be immediate, but to blame him in any way for Baldini's signings is ludicrous. Baldini was in the business during the time that Harry was our manager there there is no excuse.

I can see it now, all huddled in the corner, shrugging furiously at one another and muttering in their OUTRAGEOUS, garlic-tinged accents. Probably joining all the fingertips of one hand together as well and waggling the shape about in the air at about shoulder height. No wonder he won't play them.
Ha. Cheese eating surrender monkeys.

Seriously I think it is just as simple as Stambouli not playing well enough to be included. He has had some good moments and some not so, but his mobility has to be a big concern. You can get away with it at the back sometimes if you are a good reader of the game but for a player of Stambouli's type in the middle of the park it is a real handicap.

Last edited:
Really? Howedes has played as a full back at a very high level, including for Germany at the World Cup. I think he would have struggled much more in that role if he was outright slow or immobile (for a centre back).

My thought too, I don't think you could play at fullback at that level if you are that slow.

not sure I agree with GB there either but the system is massively different, Germany don't rely on their FB's being as high up the pitch, and then instantly back in position as we do

Howedes would be a great signing. Probably the best centre half we could sign for the money we'd be spending.

not sure I agree with GB there either but the system is massively different, Germany don't rely on their FB's being as high up the pitch, and then instantly back in position as we do

Sure. And I don't think anyone is suggesting Howedes for a full back position for us. Just that he has played there, and regardless of system the full backs are more exposed for lack of pace than centre backs defensively.

Slow for a full back, not for a centre back.

I really lik(d) Corluka - a proper defender yet so composed in possession. For me he always outshines Lovren when they are partnered together for the national team.

Re Howedes though, while he be great at somewhere like Chelsea, I just don't know how compatible he'd be with our high line.

I really lik(d) Corluka - a proper defender yet so composed in possession. For me he always outshines Lovren when they are partnered together for the national team.

Re Howedes though, while he be great at somewhere like Chelsea, I just don't know how compatible he'd be with our high line.

Why wouldn't he be compatible?

Do you think he's slower than Hummels and Pique for example?

Why wouldn't he be compatible?

Do you think he's slower than Hummels and Pique for example?

Because when we lose the ball higher up the pitch we are usually overcommitted, so our defenders have to do a lot of head-to-head sprints with forwards from the half-way line.

If we defended on our 18 yard box like Chelsea, it would be very different

Because when we lose the ball higher up the pitch we are usually overcommitted, so our defenders have to do a lot of head-to-head sprints with forwards from the half-way line.

If we defended on our 18 yard box like Chelsea, it would be very different

Unlike Barca under Pep and Dortmund under Klopp?

First of all I don't particularly buy that Howedes is all that slow. Second of all I don't believe that a relatively slow centre back can't play in a high line system, as illustrated by the examples you ignored. A lot of other factors are much more important than centre back pace in implementing a successful high line pressing system.

Isn't Howedes pretty quick for a CB? That's my impression anyway, was Löw's first choice at left back at the World Cup for some reason (a position he's hardly played, given he's a right-footed CB) and did very well IMO.

Baldani has been marginalised methinks. And by the way when does Baldini's contract expire? Could it be this summer? I may be wrong but I think it does

He had a 4 year contract in summer 2013, so 2 years left. DoFs have to be long term appointments, as they don't tend to show fruit for a couple of years.

I still don't see how he is being marginalised when he has just been allowed to recruit a team of 4 new senior staff?

More of a threat is that Luis Enrique will get his way and Barcelona will come in for him (Enrique has been lobbying the board for Baldini)

Back