• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

General Transfer Rumour Discussion Thread

We have to remember that players' careers are limited. They have 5-7 years on average to make the most they can to last them for the rest of their lives. Granted it's more than most of us will make in a lifetime, but you can't begrudge them that. It's just another profession and just as we would jump ship to another company that will pay us more, so will they.

We have to remember that players' careers are limited. They have 5-7 years on average to make the most they can to last them for the rest of their lives. Granted it's more than most of us will make in a lifetime, but you can't begrudge them that. It's just another profession and just as we would jump ship to another company that will pay us more, so will they.

I understand that alekaras, but they shouldn't sign a contract unless they're prepared to honour it. If your hopes are to play in the CL and you don't get there with the club, then put in a suitably worded clause in the contract that works for both parties. You then have absolute clarity and it should avoid sulks etc... Players don't want to have too much performance related pay as it is riskier. To negate that risk they want longer contracts at higher pay. The quid pro-quo of that is that you're not going to be able to say "adios" when another club comes a calling as the club has taken the risk by putting you on a long term, highly paid contract unless it works for the club.

I understand that alekaras, but they shouldn't sign a contract unless they're prepared to honour it. If your hopes are to play in the CL and you don't get there with the club, then put in a suitably worded clause in the contract that works for both parties. You then have absolute clarity and it should avoid sulks etc... Players don't want to have too much performance related pay as it is riskier. To negate that risk they want longer contracts at higher pay. The quid pro-quo of that is that you're not going to be able to say "adios" when another club comes a calling as the club has taken the risk by putting you on a long term, highly paid contract unless it works for the club.
I don't see that as any different from what happens in the real world. You get an offer from a company and a couple of months later another company comes in and offers you double. You likely go for the better offer. And in this scenario you can freely get up and leave, whereas if you're a professional athlete, it's not even your call. So you both have more limited time to earn for your lifetime and you have little control over that aspect. I'd rather see players honor their contracts, but you have to admit the system is not entirely in their favor.

I don't see that as any different from what happens in the real world. You get an offer from a company and a couple of months later another company comes in and offers you double. You likely go for the better offer. And in this scenario you can freely get up and leave, whereas if you're a professional athlete, it's not even your call. So you both have more limited time to earn for your lifetime and you have little control over that aspect. I'd rather see players honor their contracts, but you have to admit the system is not entirely in their favor.

I think there is a difference. If I wanted to leave my current employer, I would have to hand in my notice and I am contractually obliged to work my notice period. Just because my notice period is shorter than a footballers is not a difference. I didn't sign a contract with my employer saying that I would be bound to them for 5 years. I signed up to one with a shorter notice period.

Let's say a director of a company is on a 1 year notice period, so if they want to move to another organisation they have to give that notice. In return for that inflexibility, they get paid a higher amount of money.

Footballers because they are assets as much as employees, get signed up to longer term contracts. In return for those longer term contracts they get paid handsomely.

Last edited:
I have never agreed with the "short career justifies huge money" argument. There are very, very average players that can easily earn £20k a week. That's £80k a month and almost a million per year. In a ten year career they are earning many, many times more than the vast majority of people earn in a lifetime. I understand that market forces make paying huge money to footballers viable in most cases and I also cannot blame them for taking increased offers when they come along; but I don't like having my intelligence insulted by being told that they have a short career so deserve the extra. If they are that short of cash when the hang up their boots they always go out and work into their 60s like everyone else.

What annoys me is the whole "football industry" attitude to their consumers. The vast majority of football fans outside the "Sky Top Four" have little respect for the the clubs, players, agents or media, yet this situation is totally ignored particularly on television. The media are happy to write when fans aren't happy with a manager and jump into overdrive to get the poor sod the sack, but when did you last see a reasoned report about a player who obviously not pulling his weight. The press are so terrified of upsetting certain managers and they are allowed say what ever they like without challenge. It's all too cosy with "this is the best league in the world" crap. It's the most expensive league in the world and all the B list players in the world want to play in it thats all. The refereeing has got worse and as FIFA are as bent as a corkscrew nothing will be done to improve the situation with technology as this could jeopardise the big teams status.

But the contracts signed by professional athletes clearly are not like normal work contracts. For a start; if it becomes apparent after a month that you or I are actually really bad at our jobs... our employer isn't legally obliged to continue paying us a large salary for another 5 years unless he can find another company to take us off his hands.

So when sports contracts contain that level of downside for the employer; there is obviously going to have to be some corresponding upside.

But the contracts signed by professional athletes clearly are not like normal work contracts. For a start; if it becomes apparent after a month that you or I are actually really bad at our jobs... our employer isn't legally obliged to continue paying us a large salary for another 5 years unless he can find another company to take us off his hands.

So when sports contracts contain that level of downside for the employer; there is obviously going to have to be some corresponding upside.
I hadn't looked at it this way and I have to admit it does makes sense the way you put it. Definitely weakens my argument, but I still think there's a wee bit of argument left still.

@Gazzasrightboot your argument is absolute gonad*s. Who gives a year's notice?? :) (seriously, here in the States two weeks is about all that's expected and no future employer would be willing to wait more than a month or two for you to join them)

What annoys me is the whole "football industry" attitude to their consumers. The vast majority of football fans outside the "Sky Top Four" have little respect for the the clubs, players, agents or media, yet this situation is totally ignored particularly on television. The media are happy to write when fans aren't happy with a manager and jump into overdrive to get the poor sod the sack, but when did you last see a reasoned report about a player who obviously not pulling his weight. The press are so terrified of upsetting certain managers and they are allowed say what ever they like without challenge. It's all too cosy with "this is the best league in the world" crap. It's the most expensive league in the world and all the B list players in the world want to play in it thats all. The refereeing has got worse and as FIFA are as bent as a corkscrew nothing will be done to improve the situation with technology as this could jeopardise the big teams status.

Completely agree, but they are acting as any monopoly would. There isn't a comparable industry at all because it will take a long time before a fan says "fudge this I'm not watching football". The loyalty to the sport and to individual clubs is being tested. What is interesting is seeing the level of interest in the international team die. I'm sure that's worrying the FA, so I can predict a bit more arm-wrestling between them and the EPL. EPL will win because they are far more savvy whereas the FA are a law unto themselves.

Personally, I still have my season ticket but tend to give it to my 16 year old newphew who would never be able to see the team otherwise mainly because I don't enjoy the atmosphere as much as I used to. He loves it and cannot get enough, but he never experienced the shelf as I did when I was 7/8 so doesn't have anything to compare it to. Scared the crap out of me especially when we scored as I'd lose my dad and not be able to find him for at least 10 minutes!

I hadn't looked at it this way and I have to admit it does makes sense the way you put it. Definitely weakens my argument, but I still think there's a wee bit of argument left still.

@Gazzasrightboot your argument is absolute cobblers. Who gives a year's notice?? :) (seriously, here in the States two weeks is about all that's expected and no future employer would be willing to wait more than a month or two for you to join them)

Ha! I'm on a 6 month notice and my boss is on a year's notice! The US is a completely different beast!

Completely agree, but they are acting as any monopoly would. There isn't a comparable industry at all because it will take a long time before a fan says "fudge this I'm not watching football". The loyalty to the sport and to individual clubs is being tested. What is interesting is seeing the level of interest in the international team die. I'm sure that's worrying the FA, so I can predict a bit more arm-wrestling between them and the EPL. EPL will win because they are far more savvy whereas the FA are a law unto themselves.

Personally, I still have my season ticket but tend to give it to my 16 year old newphew who would never be able to see the team otherwise mainly because I don't enjoy the atmosphere as much as I used to. He loves it and cannot get enough, but he never experienced the shelf as I did when I was 7/8 so doesn't have anything to compare it to. Scared the crap out of me especially when we scored as I'd lose my dad and not be able to find him for at least 10 minutes!

I hope that this continues to grow

http://www.nonleagueday.co.uk/

I'm definitely doing that!

I like the initiative, and dearly wish I could afford a flight over to do it myself. I used to say that watching TFC live was just like non-league day anyway, what with the constant underwheming-ness and BMO Field being so...erm, eternally damp, for lack of a better term. But now that Giovinco's shown up, it just isn't fair anymore. :)

Back