• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

General Transfer Rumour Discussion Thread

It's not as easy as going into a shop and saying give me that one.
Look at soldado, he's available, wants to leave and is seemingly in talks with a couple of clubs. Should be easy, so why is it not done? Because it's not that easy is why.
There's four parties weighing up options and trying to get the best deal while watching for someone else to come along and muck things up.
I think it's not easy because the player is 30, earns a high wage, has come off the back of 2 consecutive seasons of abject failure and yet our chairman still seems to be looking for a premium fee for him.

I think it's a bit too early to say that Gutterboy. It could go either way. I think Liverpool have made some good signings. I don't know how they're going to keep the harmony in the squad though with players like Balotelli. He's hardly going to be quiet on the bench. Benteke will get them goals as will Ings.
I don't think they care too much.... Whereas it looks as though we're making sure we're rid of Adebayor and/or Soldado before we bring in another centre forward, it looks as though Liverpool are prepared to accept the risk of having to sell/loan Balotelli for possibly a very low fee or even having to retain him on their wage bill without giving him a place in the squad.

I really think that you are super wide of the mark here.

Having one striker at a top 5 club with apparent CL aspirations is a ****ing crisis mate. The fact the season starts and if our striker gets a niggle we have no one else is absolutely shocking regardless of any strategy or cost saving.

Also this view seems to negate any possibility that Kane has second season syndrome or a loss of form.

Added to this, if Berahino arrives, he will play with Kane. Kane's position is a number 10 or a '9 and a half' as Sherwood liked to say. Berhaino would a great 9 with kane dropping into 10 and similarly Kane would play 9 with Berahino playing wide. A good striker will be bought to accompany what we have and its very arrogant to think that Kane will never be moved or rested etc.

To cut a long story short, our current situation is a sham and if kane gets injured it's not an emergency, its gross negligence because then we will be forced to panic buy or pay over the odds anyway.

Frankly this transfer window has gone from having the potential of 10/10 is currently slipping to 6/10 regardless of who we now get in.

We're in no worse position than last season though so I don't see the need to panic at all, and nor do I think it is a crisis. It will be a crisis if the transfer window closes and we only have Kane. There are a number of days left in the transfer window. The way people are talking about this is as if the club is deliberately doing things this way out of their own choosing. It's as if we can just snap our fingers and a Berahino, Benteke, Austin, or whoever else will just appear. Transfers take time, and we're unable to dictate terms. Like buying a house there are invariably chains, and you just have to deal with it.

I go back to an earlier point I made. Talk like this would mean that people would be much happier now if we signed the third highest goal scorer in Spain, a brazilian international, an argentine international who is one of the best young players on the planet, a french international midfielder and some highly rated romanian defender. Look how that turned out. There are no guarantees, so you've got to trust those that are in the know and in power to do what is right.

I really think that you are super wide of the mark here.

Having one striker at a top 5 club with apparent CL aspirations is a ****ing crisis mate. The fact the season starts and if our striker gets a niggle we have no one else is absolutely shocking regardless of any strategy or cost saving.

Also this view seems to negate any possibility that Kane has second season syndrome or a loss of form.

Added to this, if Berahino arrives, he will play with Kane. Kane's position is a number 10 or a '9 and a half' as Sherwood liked to say. Berhaino would a great 9 with kane dropping into 10 and similarly Kane would play 9 with Berahino playing wide. A good striker will be bought to accompany what we have and its very arrogant to think that Kane will never be moved or rested etc.

To cut a long story short, our current situation is a sham and if kane gets injured it's not an emergency, its gross negligence because then we will be forced to panic buy or pay over the odds anyway.

Frankly this transfer window has gone from having the potential of 10/10 is currently slipping to 6/10 regardless of who we now get in.

i imagine we'll start the season with Chadli in the LWF and Kane as CF and If Berahino arrives im pretty confident it will be as primary cover for Kane and the LWF position, of course that may change as the season wears on but that's how i feel we will start off.

i know you couldn't possibly rate Soldado any lower but until he's out the door he is an option available to us, he's on the bench for the United game and then next week he leaves and is replaced by Berahino (again is what i imagine will happen) with it looking like this Werner lad will replace Adebayor whenever he decides to agree terms with Villa.

so IMV Kane + Soldado for United
Kane + Berahino from Stoke onward
Kane + Berahino + Werner at worst from the end of the window onward

that isn't really the crisis it's being being painted as IMHO and frankly it's all bit of a mountain out of a molehill

Last edited:
I think it's not easy because the player is 30, earns a high wage, has come off the back of 2 consecutive seasons of abject failure and yet our chairman still seems to be looking for a premium fee for him.

I don't have a problem with that. They will have determined a price where it makes it worthwhile to get rid of Soldado as otherwise they will keep him. If others don't want to pay that, then he doesn't go. Is that not the right thing to do?

We're in no worse position than last season though so I don't see the need to panic at all, and nor do I think it is a crisis. It will be a crisis if the transfer window closes and we only have Kane. There are a number of days left in the transfer window. The way people are talking about this is as if the club is deliberately doing things this way out of their own choosing. It's as if we can just snap our fingers and a Berahino, Benteke, Austin, or whoever else will just appear. Transfers take time, and we're unable to dictate terms. Like buying a house there are invariably chains, and you just have to deal with it.

I go back to an earlier point I made. Talk like this would mean that people would be much happier now if we signed the third highest goal scorer in Spain, a brazilian international, an argentine international who is one of the best young players on the planet, a french international midfielder and some highly rated romanian defender. Look how that turned out. There are no guarantees, so you've got to trust those that are in the know and in power to do what is right.
I disagree.... Last season both Soldado and Adebayor were an integral part of the squad. This season we have made it clear to both that they are surplus to requirements. Last season we had 3 strikers, in effect we now only have one.

I disagree.... Last season both Soldado and Adebayor were an integral part of the squad. This season we have made it clear to both that they are surplus to requirements. Last season we had 3 strikers, in effect we now only have one.

Come on. You cannot say in one breath that Soldado is brick and then say he was an integral part of the squad. If he didn't contribute last year, then losing him is not going to change the contribution is it? He hasn't gone anywhere and so could still be that integral part. Soldado has done the training, just not gone to the pre-season games so he could still do a job. Ade is probably not fit but we hardly had to rely on him last year did we?

Come on. You cannot say in one breath that Soldado is ****e and then say he was an integral part of the squad. If he didn't contribute last year, then losing him is not going to change the contribution is it? He hasn't gone anywhere and so could still be that integral part. Soldado has done the training, just not gone to the pre-season games so he could still do a job. Ade is probably not fit but we hardly had to rely on him last year did we?
So how much effort do you think Soldado would put in at the weekend, knowing that we are actively trying to sell him?.... Do you think he would risk injury to get onto the end of a chance for example?

Your company have told you they are letting you go in a few weeks time.... Do you put in 100% effort in those last few weeks?

So how much effort do you think Soldado would put in at the weekend, knowing that we are actively trying to sell him?.... Do you think he would risk injury to get onto the end of a chance for example?

Your company have told you they are letting you go in a few weeks time.... Do you put in 100% effort in those last few weeks?

So he has however long to show any prospective employer just how good he is and that he is a good professional. Putting yourself in the shop window? I wouldn't necessarily expect the same from Ade, but by all accounts Soldado is a good professional.

So he has however long to show any prospective employer just how good he is and that he is a good professional. Putting yourself in the shop window? I wouldn't necessarily expect the same from Ade, but by all accounts Soldado is a good professional.
Personally I would rather Ade played.... At least he has shown that he can find the net on occasion.

Personally I would rather Ade played.... At least he has shown that he can find the net on occasion.

Not sure that I agree but taking it back to the point, I don't see how it's a crisis (and I know you didn't use those words) that we haven't signed a striker yet. It would have been better if we had done all of our transfer dealings earlier, but we don't dictate when transfers will complete.

The earlier they're signed, the earlier they settle in and start winning us points.

Especially if coming from abroad. Having two brand new central midfielders means team cohesion won't be what it will be later in the season. I'd much rather take on Schweinsteiger and Schneiderlin now when they're still getting to know each other than later in the season when they're in full stride.

Chadli, Lamela and Townsend aren't good enough. We need to sign players that are good enough. Every day we wait before signing them minimises the impact they can have over the course of our season. As we've seen before, dropping even two points in August can have disastrous consequences come May, let alone the twelve we may have to play for without addressing the top priority issues that need fixing. I totally get that sometimes you have to wait, negotiations get drawn out and sometimes the best players don't become available until circumstances change at the last minute, but I'd have hoped we'd have gotten to this stage with only one or two of the essential signings still needing to be made, let alone four.

However much all of the above may or may not be true (and I do agree with much of it), it still doesn't address the fundamental contradiction in your original post.

You claimed that we had routinely dropped points in August specifically because our new signings are rarely ready for first team action until September. You then claimed that Man Utd, who have conducted all their transfer business early, will more likely drop points in August specifically because they have all their new signings to bed in.

Surely the same would be true for us - that we would also more likely drop points in August if we had all our new signings to bed in? So instead of dropping six or seven points, we might well have dropped ten or twelve. Either that or we have to question whether our previous dropped points in August are attributable to some fact other than that we didn't sign our new players until late in the window.

Last edited:
It was an example, could have been any player. I don't follow other teams that close but I'm sure most clubs have at least player in same situation.

Commentator on the game saying Kane not in todays squad and apparently United have made a huge bid for him....

Commentator on the game saying Kane not in todays squad and apparently United have made a huge bid for him....

I dare say that the commentator is merely regurgitating the claims that appeared in the Spanish media a day or so ago. And regardless of whether or not there's any truth in Utd having made a bid, I'm not remotely concerned. We are not interested in selling Kane and he isn't interested in leaving.

The only reason he isn't playing today is because, as has been pointed out justifiably and ad infinitum over the past day or two, we simply cannot afford for our only striker to be injured or knackered come Saturday lunchtime.

Last edited:
Credit to them for starting the process early then!

Also I think the difference with Chel53a is that they have one particular target to try to provide a very long term solution to a position where they are already very strong (they probably have the best central defensive partnership in the league). We are looking to strengthen an area where we only have one viable player, to the point where we are being forced to play him for 85 minutes in a friendly in Germany just a few days before the season starts.

Who's to say that we didn't start talking to Berahino early?

Different target, different amount of time taken?

Back