• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Gareth Bale

Re: Gareth Bale

Defoe was superb off the ball yesterday

about time he learnt that part of the game.
making runs for each other off the ball is part of the modern attacking game.
something that top clubs do very well. just look at Man U's goals... they've been doing that against us for donkey years!

about time he learnt that part of the game.
making runs for each other off the ball is part of the modern attacking game.
something that top clubs do very well. just look at Man U's goals... they've been doing that against us for donkey years!

He's been doing that for a while, welcome to 2012.

Defoe was superb off the ball yesterday

thats what the forwardmost striker is supposed to do to increase unpredictability in attack and bring in midfielders.
credit to AVB, finally able to teach defoe a thing or two about off the ball running.

How is it spot on?

He's had numerous monster games for us under previous management who apparently gave him no specific instructions. Yesterday he was good but are you forgetting him tearing numerous 'big teams' a new arsehole like Inter, Arsenal and a few others. Again he was good yesterday but he's had far better games than that so lets not start getting over excited now.

I've realised how people operate on here now. After one good game a lot of people get over excited and ignore previous games. bale until yesterday has been mediocre so lets not go on as if he's suddenly become this monster player.

Sorry, you're being wildly over-sensitive. Seriously. You are.

It is my opinion that his wild horses have been offered more context, shape and reason than at any other time during his career? Be honest. His games against Inter were fantastic but the result of a brilliant player on-top of hsi game playing good old fashioned rip-em-a-new-one down the wing football! Which Arsenal game are you talking about? Early doors at the Lane, 2-1? Yes, again, a brilliant, precocious talent.

I've bolded a comment above because it illustrates 100% what you're not seeing about what I've been saying about him this season. Namely, it isn NOT all about him directly, it's about how he FITS into a team and system. For me, he's been learning a lot this season with regards to WHEN to come inside and stay wide. You're still living in the cult of the individual!!!!! My point is he can be that at times but is NOW becoming MORE! I want to make absolutely sure you understand the point I'm making. If you don't, fire away, otherwise fine, disagree if you like, but at least you'll be clear on what I'm saying.

Agreed...

It was only yesterday and maybe against QPR that he has shown glimpses of his old form.

Dont forget didnt the previous Manager help him not only win Bales first game for spurs etc etc etc and also make him the 30-40m player he is today?

Again, PLEASE understand the point I'm trying to make even if you don't want to agree with it. Of course Harry Redknapp took Gareth Bale and turned him into one of the most exciting talents in world football with a combination of training and man-management, but in my opinion, he needed to add a dimension or two to his game to genuinely be considered world class/not make him as easy to be marked out of games as he was last season at times. This requires more discipline, a realisation that he does not have to win us every match alone, and the knowledge as to when to drop in or stay out wide, not simply movement whenever. I believe he is being given more specific instruction in this regard, and I believe we are starting to see it more obviously. We are not as 'exciting' or 'swashbuckler' as we were, and neither is he, but as a team we are more solid and effective (especially away from home, something KD has pointed out which is bang on)...

this is why the harry redknapp issue wont die anytime soon

i'll give it a day or two in memory of the great gigantic win yesterday before sitting down and addressing this folly .;)

actually need to put a smiley here as i am sure when people see me type harry redknapp they imagine me with a scowl on me head...which is not the cas..at least now now LOL

Hopefully by the time you get ready to respond you'll have read a deeper explanation of what my opinion is. It's not, IMO, groundless. FYI, I just typed Harry Redknapp's name in full praise and with a smile too!!!!! See above.:lol:

(General point to this thread here - ) Not interested in kick-starting a whole new exchange so I'll take what's coming from those who I have offended and deeply apologize for trying to make a tactical observation (however flawed some think it is).

I couldnt help but feel there was something real special about Bales goal against Man Utd yesterday. Sure, he had space given the fact Man Utd for some reason didnt have a holder in the middle in the first half, but you just don't do that to Man Utd, you don't regularly see someone run from deep against United, get past there most experienced defender and finish the ball brilliantly past there goalkeeper, especially at Old Trafford.

I couldnt help but feel there was something real special about Bales goal against Man Utd yesterday. Sure, he had space given the fact Man Utd for some reason didnt have a holder in the middle in the first half, but you just don't do that to Man Utd, you don't regularly see someone run from deep against United, get past there most experienced defender and finish the ball brilliantly past there goalkeeper, especially at Old Trafford.

It was. And the biggest bonus, for me, was that he shot early with his right foot.

Again, PLEASE understand the point I'm trying to make even if you don't want to agree with it. Of course Harry Redknapp took Gareth Bale and turned him into one of the most exciting talents in world football with a combination of training and man-management, but in my opinion, he needed to add a dimension or two to his game to genuinely be considered world class/not make him as easy to be marked out of games as he was last season at times. This requires more discipline, a realisation that he does not have to win us every match alone, and the knowledge as to when to drop in or stay out wide, not simply movement whenever. I believe he is being given more specific instruction in this regard, and I believe we are starting to see it more obviously. We are not as 'exciting' or 'swashbuckler' as we were, and neither is he, but as a team we are more solid and effective (especially away from home, something KD has pointed out which is bang on)...

Eh dude I retorted to someone elses argument who said something (cant remember but im sure my point was in context). So I wasnt disagreeing or agreeing. Although your point now I agree he needed to add this DIMENSION to his game but Harry was also trying to do that by making him go inside a lot more by making him go on the right a bit more etc. Its been a work in progress with Bale and yeah maybe we are seeing the fruits of this.

Only time will tell the same way that yesterdays performance doesnt mean everythng will be hunky dory - i will give it a few more games BUT so far im impressed with the AWAY performances. Not been impressed with home... we will see.

He's now scored against:

United at Old Trafford
Home and away against the scum
Emirates Marketing Project away
Chelsea home
Home and away in the CL
Hat trick at the San Siro

Definitely a big game player.

I sometimes feel like we don't know how lucky we are to have a player of Bale's quality. That's not say that he can't be frustrating or that he doesn't have patches of relative mediocrity but he is young and still developing. He has provided or been part of some of the greatest moments of individual and collective brilliance that I have seen in my time as a Spurs fan. His goal yesterday was peach. The boy's a star.

"For example, if we feel we are working too hard in training, if we say that to him, then he'll ease it off. He's still learning as well as a manager but he does all the coaching and everything himself, which is great. Every manager is different and he has his own ways of working. Sometimes it just takes a little bit of time."

now who was trying to claim that Villa Boas doesn't do any coaching recently :-k

I've got to agree with Thfcsteff. We will see just how good Bale can get with some explicit tactical coaching. The games against pacey, intelligent defenders when he is being d

Not having much luck typing tonight - if my half post appears I was trying to say that the importance of Bale getting more tactical coaching will show when he is playing against defenders with pace and brains when he is double or triple marked - under AVB I think it is more likely he will add more layers to his game. He has every chance of becoming truly phenomenal. Thfcsteff has a good point.

Not having much luck typing tonight - if my half post appears I was trying to say that the importance of Bale getting more tactical coaching will show when he is playing against defenders with pace and brains when he is double or triple marked - under AVB I think it is more likely he will add more layers to his game. He has every chance of becoming truly phenomenal. Thfcsteff has a good point.

Thanks for helping translate, seriously, I think sometimes my explanations get lost.

It was. And the biggest bonus, for me, was that he shot early with his right foot.

THIS.

Have lost cou t of the times he has been in a position to shoot with his right foot, only to try and monouver back onto his left and then the opurtunity to shoot disapears.

IMO this is Bale's biggest fault and if I were coaching him I would make him spend an hour a day kicking the ball against a wall with his right foot only.

Perhaps that is what AVB has done.
Great right foot shot at speed
Great goal!!!

I still believe that what he's done (and continues to do) is fine tune him on a regular basis. Little things like the above would certainly (hopefully) be part of it, and I'm sure he'll get stronger in that sense as the season goes on. I've noticed a lot of little things about his game which have changed, and most of them are based around him not being the focal point of every single thing we do. I firmly believe that AVB is trying to build a team and a squad who can play in systems and setups, thus meaning that as long as the personnel are good enough across the board (or at least willing to be everything they can be) then we can ride out missing players here and there. The following is slightly unfair with regards to context, because some of these missing players were not of his choice, but we won yesterday without
Modric
Van Der Vaart
Kaboul
BAE
Parker

That is nearly an entire HALF of last season's first 11. Throw Ade and Ledders in there and you're OVER half.

Yet some people still insist that we are playing the same way. We have modified in all areas. Personnel, deployment and attitude. It will still take time to get set in stone, but the future is bright.

Gareth Bale will, by the end of the season, have become the outstanding player of the year again IMHO, and it will be because he has added subtle strings to his bow which allow him to contribute at all times, even without the ball! p.s. by GHod he was brilliant with it yesterday though!!!

I sometimes feel like we don't know how lucky we are to have a player of Bale's quality. That's not say that he can't be frustrating or that he doesn't have patches of relative mediocrity but he is young and still developing. He has provided or been part of some of the greatest moments of individual and collective brilliance that I have seen in my time as a Spurs fan. His goal yesterday was peach. The boy's a star.

=D>

tumblr_mb4mrd16O61r1fq7do1_500.gif

How can I send these in outlook so they work the other end. I just copied and pasted and sent to myself but just comes through as a picture. Can I send to someone via email so they still work?

One of the keys to our success this season is how well Bale and Defoe can link. They are starting to get it together. On the counter attack they look very dangerous. If you were an opposing fan , you would be scared of these two baring down on you

When the game is stretched or and the other team is chasing they could and should be lethal.

Back