• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Gareth Bale

Re: Gareth Bale

There is no way we would spend 100m in order to keep one player in Bale. 100m witha net spend of around 60-70m? its a fair bit of money to spend for one player. Would you buy a player for 100m? nope. Its akin to that.

There is no way we would spend 100m in order to keep one player in Bale. 100m witha net spend of around 60-70m? its a fair bit of money to spend for one player. Would you buy a player for 100m? nope. Its akin to that.

We've shifted Caulker, Hudd and Dempsey so far this window, while also releasing Bentley. If the reported fees are correct (Dempsey 6 million quid, Caulker 9 million quid and Hudd 5 million quid), that's 20 million already. We're also on the verge of offloading Parker, and I suspect we'd be willing to listen to offers for one of Rose or BAE (not sure which one, mind). Add to that our evident desire to shift Gomes and Ade, plus the reported 3 million from the Dos Santos deal, plus (I suspect) one of Lennon or Townsend (4 wingers is a bit overkill). We could possibly sell Kane and Coulibaly as well, although it isn't likely.

Sure, clubs don't do transfers in lump sums, so our spending and our income from sales won't be as predictable as I mentioned above, but that seems like it could easily be around 50 million quid from our shifted players alone. Factor in the money from the new TV deal and Joe Lewis' apparent injection, and I'd say spending 100 million pounds is eminently achievable. Eye-popping considering our history in summer transfer windows, but feasible.

edit: And as for spending 100 million to essentially keep Bale being a bit outre, I suspect the commercial value of tying him to the club for a while longer (in terms of raising our profile, landing us deals like the one we made with NBC and most importantly, finding a naming rights partner for the stadium) could easily match that amount in the long run.

BRr1vYVCcAASz-A.jpg

AS: Real Madrid offer €110m (including Fabio Coentrao) for Gareth Bale

The front page of Madrid-based paper AS once again features Gareth Bale on Thursday morning and they claim significant progress has been made in the on-going transfer saga of the Spurs forward.

According to Marco Ruiz, a journalist who has been stalking Bale during his stay with the Wales national team, Tottenham chairman Daniel Levy is close to accepting a 110 million euro offer, which includes left-sided player Fabio Coentrao.

Spurs initially asked for Jese Rodriguez or Alvaro Morata to be included in the deal, but Real Madrid will only part with Coentrao who they value at 30 million euros.

The Portuguese international, who cost 25 million euros from Benfica, is valued by Tottenham at 20 million euros. AS say the latest offer is being discussed with the valuation of Coentrao a sticking point.

Levy wants 90 million euros and Coentrao, Real Madrid believe 85 million plus the former Benfica man is sufficient.

Tottenham are in no rush to sort out a deal with Real Madrid and feel the pressure will ratchet up on Bale once their Premier League campaign begins on Sunday.

“A source” is quoted by AS: ”Bale has spent three weeks with the same plan. He does not want to train, nor play games… seems to have made a final decision.”

Finally, AS add that Spurs have not given up hope of holding on to Bale and still hope to discuss a new deal with the Welsh forward in the coming days.

http://www.101greatgoals.com/blog/a...0m-including-fabio-coentrao-for-gareth-bale/?

AS is taking one step back then. Cant remember them saying we want to discuss a new deal with Bale? All good signs, the Real Madrid papers is going to do one he** of a turnaround when he stays:lol:

Interesting thing about Bale's injury though, remember end of last season when we were rushing to get him back fit for the last games....

Now it appears he has a much less serious injury and we aren't rushing him back......

AS is taking one step back then. Cant remember them saying we want to discuss a new deal with Bale? All good signs, the Real Madrid papers is going to do one he** of a turnaround when he stays:lol:

Yeah, they are begining to cover all bases !

Last edited:

So is everyone of the opinion that there's no chance we can get him in the right frame of mind to play before the window shuts? I mean these early games are going to be vital and we need everyone, especially for scum away.

Very doubtful, IMO; we may have to resort to...
scumaway.gif

We've shifted Caulker, Hudd and Dempsey so far this window, while also releasing Bentley. If the reported fees are correct (Dempsey 6 million quid, Caulker 9 million quid and Hudd 5 million quid), that's 20 million already. We're also on the verge of offloading Parker, and I suspect we'd be willing to listen to offers for one of Rose or BAE (not sure which one, mind). Add to that our evident desire to shift Gomes and Ade, plus the reported 3 million from the Dos Santos deal, plus (I suspect) one of Lennon or Townsend (4 wingers is a bit overkill). We could possibly sell Kane and Coulibaly as well, although it isn't likely.

Sure, clubs don't do transfers in lump sums, so our spending and our income from sales won't be as predictable as I mentioned above, but that seems like it could easily be around 50 million quid from our shifted players alone. Factor in the money from the new TV deal and Joe Lewis' apparent injection, and I'd say spending 100 million pounds is eminently achievable. Eye-popping considering our history in summer transfer windows, but feasible.

edit: And as for spending 100 million to essentially keep Bale being a bit outre, I suspect the commercial value of tying him to the club for a while longer (in terms of raising our profile, landing us deals like the one we made with NBC and most importantly, finding a naming rights partner for the stadium) could easily match that amount in the long run.

Those players at best would fetch 40m hence the net spend of 60m - give or take a few. Whilst the majority of signings are installments, they still are accounted for, whilst the cash spent wont be 60m in accounting terms it will have been. I would love it if you were right, and we just went hell for leather this season. Its still gonna look like a bit of a troubled start this season what with the Bale saga and some of the players not having an adequate pre season.

As for the last bit, yeah I agree there could be income from the commercial side which will have helped im sure. In total and in hindsight a net spend of 50-60m isnt out of our reach

Covering their arses, I suspect. Hopefully that's because someone higher up told them that there is no way Bale is leaving this season. Personally, I think the amount of tapping up that's gone on this season has almost guaranteed his departure next season.

Almost. I have a sneaking suspicion that we're spending now in order to try to put together a run at the title, with a domestic trophy and/or CL football thrown into the bargain. If we manage it, then Bale will probably stay for 2014-2015, and the money we make from CL football will cover this season's losses. If we don't do any of those things, then we have an asset we can sell for 50-60 million next season to balance the books. So effectively, the money we're spending now is almost risk free, since we'll make it back one way or another.

It's also why I think we're far from finished, even if Capoue comes in. I'd be willing to wager we'll bring in a top-class left back, a back-up centre back and a back-up striker before the window closes. And I have a sneaking suspicion that we'll make another marquee signing (Lamela? [-o< ) in order to improve our starting eleven even further and give the player, whomever he may be, a year to acclimatize to English football before putting a 'Bale replacement' burden on his shoulders, or give him two years playing with Bale to grow him into the best possible player he can be before moving Bale on.

I agree with you on our spending potential, but I don't think after this summer we would keep Bale for another 2 years. If we get him for this season we will have done very well, and then he will be on his way.

Just thinking out loud here...

I think Bale is gone. I know it's a tired subject, but we've already spent 50+ million on 3 players and apparently are looking to get Lamela and Ericksen as well?? Do people think we've turned into the Mancs over night? The stories about Joe wanting to spend 50 mill are great and all but you've got to admit the timing is a bit funny. Just think back over the last couple of transfer windows when we've been in dire need of a striker and nothing... (cue arguments about Levy not wanting to invest in Harry's players and now wanting to invest in AVB). So now Joe wants to spend it all?? If we'd had Soldado last year surely we'd be Champs league, no? I just dont get it.

So if we look at it..

Bale = 90
Caulker = 8
Parker = 3
Hudd = 6
Dempsey = 7
= 114 Million GBP

Paulinho = 19
Soldado = 26
Chadli = 7
Capoue = 9
(Lamela) = 28
(Eriksen) = 11
= 100 Million GBP

That still leaves us with some room to find a CB and possibly a young forward but not much. If these rumors about Lamela and Eriksen are true we'd be looking at a net loss of 75 Million GBP. And even if we don't sign Lamela and Eriksen we're still in the hole 35 mill. I really do think it's a case of us spending Bale's transfer fee before he leaves us.

So we're looking at this plus about 10 Million GBP...

Chadli - Soldado - Lamela
Eriksen - Paulinho
- Sandro -
Rose - Verts - Kaboom - Walker
Lloris​

or this with a debt of -75 Million GBP:

Lamela - Soldado - Bale
Eriksen - Paulinho
- Sandro -
Rose - Verts - Kaboom - Walker
Lloris​

Obviously the second is a stronger side, think it might even be favorites to win the title. The only problem is that negative 75 million posted just above. It's just not realistic. We've never had a net loss close to that in any window before, so why now? I'd love to be proven wrong, but I just can't see it.

I agree with you on our spending potential, but I don't think after this summer we would keep Bale for another 2 years. If we get him for this season we will have done very well, and then he will be on his way.

depends man, if we get Champions league and say 3rd place, or we wint an FA Cup and Champions League, or dare I say it we kepp Bale and win the premier league (very very unlikely) he might be happy where he is.

AVB tells ssn that Bale will not be involved for the start of the season........

take a comfy seat Gareth we have points to win............................

COYS

Just thinking out loud here...

I think Bale is gone. I know it's a tired subject, but we've already spent 50+ million on 3 players and apparently are looking to get Lamela and Ericksen as well?? Do people think we've turned into the Mancs over night? The stories about Joe wanting to spend 50 mill are great and all but you've got to admit the timing is a bit funny. Just think back over the last couple of transfer windows when we've been in dire need of a striker and nothing... (cue arguments about Levy not wanting to invest in Harry's players and now wanting to invest in AVB). So now Joe wants to spend it all?? If we'd had Soldado last year surely we'd be Champs league, no? I just dont get it.

Well, firstly, it depends. Even though Bale's head has been turned, I don't believe that he can't be persuaded to stay till 2015 once the window shuts. Stranger U-turns have happened, and if we strengthen the way I think we will and achieve both (This is critical) a trophy of some sort and CL football, his desire to leave won't really be as intense as it reportedly is this season. Plus, we can probably offer him a record contract to sweeten the deal: again, given our savings on wages should the likes of Ade and Bentley leave, offering him 150k a week doesn't seem inconceivable.

And in reply to VolSpur, firstly, I don't think we'll go for Eriksen and Lamela. One of the two. Not both. Secondly, I believe Paulinho was 17 million, not 19. And thirdly, Lamela would cost more than 28 (Roma bought him for a reported fee of 17 million quid, so they'd be looking to at least double that). And when you add a new centre-back, back-up striker and left back to the mix, then it does get a bit excessive, granted.

However, consider our squad for a moment. We've sold Dempsey, Caulker and Hudd, and are on the verge of selling Parker. But, like I mentioned before, that leaves a lot of players with decent sell-on value that we don't particularly need. Ade, for one, who the Besiktas president has repeatedly confirmed that he's bid 5.5 million for. Townsend or Lennon, either of whom I can't see netting us less than 9-10 million quid in any deal. Rose or BAE- more likely BAE, but weren't Sunderland quoted earlier on as saying that we wanted 8.5 million for Rose or something similar?

Gomes, Falque, and our youth talents we won't be likely to use (Kane and Coulibaly) also come into the picture, as does the 3 million sell-on fee we got for Dos Santos. All in all, there's a lot of squad weight we can shift without affecting squad depth, and I can't see us not wanting to do so but selling Bale instead. If we can raise 50 million from all that lot (including the already concluded Dempsey, Caulker and Hudd deals), spread across installments over a few years, then we'll have effectively covered the spending done on Paulinho, Soldado and Chadli. Then, if the money from the new TV deal comes into play, plus any alleged spending money allocated by Joe Lewis, then like I said before, it isn't inconceivable that we could keep Bale and spend some 50 million more than we already have.

Lloris
Friedel
Archer

Walker
Naughton
Daws
Kaboul
Verts
back-up CB
BAE
new LB

Sandro
Capoue
Paulinho
Dembele
Holtby
Sigurdsson

Chadli
Lennon/Townsend
Bale
Lamela

Soldado
back-up striker
Defoe

That's a 24 man squad including our projected buys and excluding the squad players I've mentioned previously. And that looks fine to me. Hell, you don't need the new LB particularly, so if you stick Rose back in that spot you will have reduced transfer expenditure while still allowing for us to go ahead and get Lamela, a new CB and a new striker.

AVB tells ssn that Bale will not be involved for the start of the season........

take a comfy seat Gareth we have points to win............................

COYS

So clearly, he's going if the sum is right, and they think Real might come up with the cash. Otherwise, they could have just told Bale the deal isn't happening and have him lace up his boots.

Back