• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Gareth Bale

Re: Gareth Bale

has any club complained about Real missing a payment on a player theyve signed? :lol:

That's not really the point anyone is making. If we sell Bale to Real Madrid we are going to want as much of the money up front as we can get to help us strengthen ahead of the season. The question is, how much can RM afford up front?

:ross: i know and i think its one of the best things about all this, i bloody hate southampton what a dump even bigger then portsmouth if that is possible.

Off topic but I spent some time in southampton about 10 years ago and thought it was quite nice. Was considering uni there. I was back a couple of months back and couldn't believe what a brick hole the place was. What happened?

That's not really the point anyone is making. If we sell Bale to Real Madrid we are going to want as much of the money up front as we can get to help us strengthen ahead of the season. The question is, how much can RM afford up front?

Surely as long as the money not paid up front is guaranteed over time (not tied to apps/ goals/ titles) it doesn't matter a great deal how much they give us up front? Every club deals in this way, so when spending this hypothetical warchest we would probably not pay many fees up front.

The whole thing is turning a little depressing. I think even Steff is losing some of his famed optimism on this.

My mind is a real rollercoaster on this.
One minute i think there is nothing to it, just paper talk, started by Marca and then the english tabloids running with it.
Next minute i think no smoke without fire and the refusal of AVB/Spurs to dismiss it is worrying.

two weeks ago i was dead against the idea of Bale leaving, but the more i think about it, if we get +80m, then it might be too much to refuse.
He is unquestionably a great, great player, but four teams finished above us last season without him!
If we get 80m and invest the majority in 4 decent players, i think on balance we'd be better off.

Worst scenario would be selling him on 28th August and then not having time to bring in any new players.

Or not. We may bring in players of the calibre of Bent, Bentley, Pav, Postiga etc. the list goes on.

Be careful what you wish for

In all honesty though. IF we absolutely have to sell him, which we don't, I want Real to convince Ozil to come join us or no deal.

I think Ozil would make us a fantastic side. He'd surely never want it but hey you never know.

----Paulinho---Dembele---Sandro-----
---Lennon/Chadl/Townsend------Ozil--
--------------Soldado-------------------

Probably not enough goals though from that.

The thing is, if he went we lose a genuine world class player and the high profile that gives our club. Not to mention the money we would lose through merchandising.

Look at that billboard in Times Square, and the FIFA cover. You can't buy that kind of marketing. It comes from having a genuine superstar.

They apparently paid the Ronaldo money in full up front. I'm guessing they still owe us Modric money because payments are staged over a few years.

Aren't Real being investigated by the EU or something into illegal state aid because of that training ground thing.

They probably had easier access to credit a while back but im sure they still have access to massive amounts of money if needed.

The thing is, if he went we lose a genuine world class player and the high profile that gives our club. Not to mention the money we would lose through merchandising.

Look at that billboard in Times Square, and the FIFA cover. You can't buy that kind of marketing. It comes from having a genuine superstar.

I agree. The commercial value of our very own superstar Gareth Bale to Spurs is huge. Levy and the Directors know this thus the reason he may have turned down the alleged €85 m bid.

Is Real Madrid a going concern or an entity built on the sand of borrowing huge amounts of unsustainable debt? I understand that they cannot afford to pay €85m anyway unless they sell other players.

I always thought RM were bankrolled by the country and it's royalty so they don't really have a budget. A bit like Milan with Berlusconi.

Anyway I think the Spanish are the worst sporting cheats going.

In all honesty though. IF we absolutely have to sell him, which we don't, I want Real to convince Ozil to come join us or no deal.

I think Ozil would make us a fantastic side. He'd surely never want it but hey you never know.

----Paulinho---Dembele---Sandro-----
---Lennon/Chadl/Townsend------Ozil--
--------------Soldado-------------------

Probably not enough goals though from that.

Ozil wouldn't go for it imo. Contreao might, Di Maria maybe, they're looking to flog Kheidra it seems so maybe him too (although of course he doesn't play in a position we need). I rate Callejon highly and Higuain so obviously we've missed out on those two.

I always thought RM were bankrolled by the country and it's royalty so they don't really have a budget. A bit like Milan with Berlusconi.

Spain is bankrupt

Everyone seems pretty tinkled off with RM and rightly so cos theyre ****s.

IF there was manure coming in with 80m would you take it? to tinkle off RM and show a true stance... or deny a PL team with having him.

im talking about next yr and not this yr.

Everyone seems pretty tinkled off with RM and rightly so cos theyre ****s.

IF there was manure coming in with 80m would you take it? to tinkle off RM and show a true stance... or deny a PL team with having him.

im talking about next yr and not this yr.

No way in hell would I accept any money from Man United. We sell our best player to them and we give up any chance of ever finishing above them.

I would be more willing to sell Bale next summer, for something like 60/70M, than accept any money for him now. And I mean that. 120M, whatever, I would not sell. Because there comes a point where the money simply means nothing, and if you keep selling your best players, you give up any chance of being successful.

The 'margins is what matters to Levy' line from The Guardian actually makes me really flipping angry. It's a crap line from a journalist that is supposed to be well connected. Levy proved beyond a shadow of a doubt with Modric that on field success is more important to him than money. Our refusal to sell to Chelsea was I would argue the single biggest factor that meant we finished above them that season - if AVB got him there his style would have worked a lot better - and it was incredibly unlucky for Levy that we somehow managed to screw up third place, but it's the same principle now.

We sell Bale for a ridiculous amount of money and so what? Who exactly can we buy for 30M each that our definite upgrades on our existing players and would definitely want to come? That list of players is sparse. What actually makes the difference to success is having a good squad, which we already have, plus a genuine difference maker capable of winning games on his own. We have that in Bale and it's irreplaceable. And that's not even considering the commercial profile he helps us build through Fifa 14, Times Square etc.

We already have the money to buy the players we need as we have seen with (hopefully) Soldado. If Bale stays one more year, makes us genuine title challengers he can then leave for a reasonable fee, with our profile raised and our name established at the top of the English game. Levy wants us to be genuinely successful, and I believe he knows that selling players does nothing other than setting us back about 3 years. There comes a point where you have to look beyond the monetary value of a deal and realise that it isn't what football is about. Levy knows this.

There is no benefit to selling Bale. We could buy 3 or 4 20/30M players? So what? Are we really going to find someone that is a definite 20M worth of improvement on Dembele? Sandro? Lloris? Vertonghen? Paulinho? Are squad is full of quality players, to be successful we need a difference maker. And if we sell Bale next year we will have an easier time of attracting top class players after a successful season.

They are trying to finance it via "third party investments," according to @spurspanyol's tweets. He doesn't say whether the third party is the Spanish taxpayer...

Edit: He also makes the interesting point that La Liga has sold a lot of their talent abroad, while Serie A and the Bundesliga have strengthened their "draw." Offers the opinion that the Premier League needs Bale here next season as much as Spurs do.

Last edited:

I honestly cannot understand the feeling among some that they want to see Bale gone?

For £80m, £100m? Unless that money goes straight into the stadium fund, we would struggle to spend that money to get adequate replacements because our appeal as a club is not as competitive as the CL clubs and sugar daddy clubs.

We couldn't use £80m to buy the likes of Ozil, Cavani, Robben for example. They just wouldn't come to us. Sure, we may be able to improve the team as a whole with some good tier-two players but there's no guarantee of that.

Bale has far more value to us on the field than straight cash, more so if you factor in what he's worth to us in branding and marketing,

He hasn't said he wants to go, he hasn't agitated for a move, he's not on strike. If anything - if we're to believe reports - that he's in talks over a new deal with us.

I'm a football romantic, and I want him to stay, for what it's worth I think he will this year. He's great to watch, he makes other teams green with envy, he's a world superstar and we haven't had many of those in recent times. Why are some turning against him on the basis of the Madrid propaganda machine?

We should glory in his presence at our club, not wish for it to be cut short.

When he goes, he'd go with my blessing at least. He's already been with us 6 years and given us a lot. I hope he stays for at least one more so we can enjoy his world class talent in a Spurs shirt.

I live in Southampton and its alright. Nowhere near as bad as people on here are making out.

However just think what they could do to this place if they could still claim 10% of the Bale fee!

Back