• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Gareth Bale

Re: Gareth Bale

I'm not sure a £20M net spend would be enough for a title challenge to be honest, I agree with Kingdawson there. £40M may just do it.

We would need say £15M-20 for a striker and a midfielder each, and some more left over for a left back potentially.

I'm not sure we have enough deadwood lying around that we could sell to recoup fees as we have done in previous seasons too, so as AVB says, our owners may need to invest a little more, otherwise we could fall away.

"We fought hard this season, the team and the manager have been great," he said. "We have got the record points for the club in the Premier League.

"That would normally be enough to qualify for the Champions League, but it's not meant to be again.

"It's disappointing, but we will pick ourselves up again.

"We will just have to regroup this season and give it another go."

Bale thinks the foundations are there for Spurs to have a successful 2013-14 season.

He added: "It was great to get the win but the clouds just came over and made it a little bit duller, but it's something we have to learn from, we are a young squad, and we will take it in to the future."

"We fought hard this season, the team and the manager have been great," he said. "We have got the record points for the club in the Premier League.

"That would normally be enough to qualify for the Champions League, but it's not meant to be again.

"It's disappointing, but we will pick ourselves up again.

"We will just have to regroup this season and give it another go."

Bale thinks the foundations are there for Spurs to have a successful 2013-14 season.

He added: "It was great to get the win but the clouds just came over and made it a little bit duller, but it's something we have to learn from, we are a young squad, and we will take it in to the future."

I'm kinda in love with this man. Ignoring how spectacular a season he has had, he just seems like such a fantastic guy completely devoid of all the WAG and usual footballer gonad*s. I hope he means what he says and we seem him at Spurs next season but even if he goes I think we should have a huge amount of respect for him.

from 2004/5 season when we appointed our first DoF to the summer of 2008 which was our last window under the set up Levy backed us with a net spend of 125 mil (approx) http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/en/tottenham-hotspur/transfers-alle/verein_148.html

Harrys first two windows saw Levy spend a further 25 mil net spend (approx)

beyond this point i don't think it was necessary for us to continue spending big on transfer fees (in a net sense) as we had assembled a fairly strong squad which didn't need overhauling - just additions in the right places to tweak what we had, which was evident in our good displays in Redknapps first two full seasons and our first entry in to the Champions League. a further tweak the following season saw us with a very strong team, a team i think should have been finishing higher than it did. so i don't believe that Levy holding back on transfers (net spend...) caused problems - we continued to improve throughout this period of penny pinching

you can look at our last 5 years and say that Levy hasn't spent on the team but if you look beyond that you can see there was a lot of money spent to provide a strong squad for Redknapp (including the players bought by him as well of course)

this season the squad needs a bit of work, more work than it has needed for quite a while and i think we will see some money spent getting us where we want to be as Levy has shown in the past that he is prepared to spend big in a net sense when the squad is in need of a bit of rejuvenation. not a massive overhaul but three first team players and a couple of back ups - if we manage to bring in 15-20 mil on players sales (not out of the realms of possibility) then i think we can look at spending a further 15-25 on top of that.

How can anyone talk about a title challenge even if we did spend 40m. We haven't finished higher than 4th in my lifetime even if some seasons we certainly had the squad to do so. Right mentality, experience and killer instinct is crucial and takes a while to develop. We have a more talented squad than Man U in my opinion but it's not always about how much money you spend, it's about the mentality of the club as a whole.
I think 4th is as high as we can finish next season and I'll would be happy with that. We can then build on from there.

How can anyone talk about a title challenge even if we did spend 40m. We haven't finished higher than 4th in my lifetime even if some seasons we certainly had the squad to do so. Right mentality, experience and killer instinct is crucial and takes a while to develop. We have a more talented squad than Man U in my opinion but it's not always about how much money you spend, it's about the mentality of the club as a whole.
I think 4th is as high as we can finish next season and I'll would be happy with that. We can then build on from there.

To

Dare

Is

To

Do

(Simple)

http://www.whoscored.com/Graphics/453/Show/Timing-Positions-of-Gareth-Bales-Goals-from-Distance
453.jpg

Next season is interesting

- New managers for Cheat$ki, United and City, and most of those will have a few player changes as well.

- For once, Sours will actually have the opportunity to leverage the advantage of stability. Two good signings (personally I think we need to spend closer to 40M), Sandro/Kaboul's return, the team having had a season +preseason with AVB and Bale's continued improvement could have us pushing 3rd/4th (title is probably 150M away)

Next season is interesting

- New managers for Cheat$ki, United and City, and most of those will have a few player changes as well.

- For once, Sours will actually have the opportunity to leverage the advantage of stability. Two good signings (personally I think we need to spend closer to 40M), Sandro/Kaboul's return, the team having had a season +preseason with AVB and Bale's continued improvement could have us pushing 3rd/4th (title is probably 150M away)

I agree with all this. I think it would take around 40m net to make a real difference. We need 2 real quality signings and Levy has to back AVB because he certainly didn't before.

I agree with all this. I think it would take around 40m net to make a real difference. We need 2 real quality signings and Levy has to back AVB because he certainly didn't before.

The thing is you cant just put a figure on it - because you can buy 10 players for 40. Youre saying 20m a player but to be honest its more like we need three players - spend to bring them here.

We should be talkin in terms of players not finance in my opinion.

The thing is you cant just put a figure on it - because you can buy 10 players for 40. Youre saying 20m a player but to be honest its more like we need three players - spend to bring them here.

agree - numbers aren't the be all and end all. we signed Lloris, Vertonghen and Dembele for 30 mil ish whilst having a respectable net spend last summer - 3 more players of equal quality in the positions required, regardless of the price and we'll be on to a winner

This.

Transfer Price =/= Quality

We need 2 first team players imo. In an ideal world we would replace Lennon too but that's not realistic imo. 2 class signings and i'm going to be very confident.

agree - numbers aren't the be all and end all. we signed Lloris, Vertonghen and Dembele for 30 mil ish whilst having a respectable net spend last summer - 3 more players of equal quality in the positions required, regardless of the price and we'll be on to a winner

but we don't really have the amount of 'deadwood' that command the sort of figures that we managed to get in previous years.

We need 2 first team players imo. In an ideal world we would replace Lennon too but that's not realistic imo. 2 class signings and i'm going to be very confident.

I think we need three but lets go with two - we cant just say we need to spend 40m because they could cost less or more... we dont know.

If two class players are say, for arguments sake, Moutinho and Leandro - they would cost 40m combined. A third could possibly take it to the 45-50m range. Its players though that AVB wants and we get them that would provide the evidence of AVB being backed - not neccessarily how much he has spent.

In response to your response to Billy - we dont have the deadwood but we will sell two or three I think - who? that remains to be seen but wouldnt be surpriseif we sell Sig and Thudd and bring in Moutinho. thats a net spend of about 12-15m

but we don't really have the amount of 'deadwood' that command the sort of figures that we managed to get in previous years.
i think from

Parker, Huddelstone, Ekotto, Gomes, Livermore and one of Adebayor and Defoe - we could bring in close to 20 mil. new tv revenue will mean that clubs buying proven premiership players are likely to be paying even more than usual - what did we fleece Sunderland for when we sold them 3 players? 20 mil? Stoke paid the same for Crouch and Palacios

DHSF - not a chance Sigurdsson will be sold, imv

i think from

Parker, Huddelstone, Ekotto, Gomes, Livermore and one of Adebayor and Defoe - we could bring in close to 20 mil. new tv revenue will mean that clubs buying proven premiership players are likely to be paying even more than usual - what did we fleece Sunderland for when we sold them 3 players? 20 mil? Stoke paid the same for Crouch and Palacios

DHSF - not a chance Sigurdsson will be sold, imv

I think there is a possibility. Or Dempsey. The reason I say Sig is I think he would have a higher resale value. He is a Fulham type player I think. But what do I know.

The problem with deliberating numbers is that its guess work.

What's important is that the players we but are BETTER than the player there replacing regardless of price. If it takes £30M or £3m to get the right player in I don't care. They just have to better than whose place in the starting 11 there taking.

Back