• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Fourth - who are we going to beat to it?

Our Top 4 rivals' results in corresponding fixtures thus far this season:
FixtureSpursARSEnalChelseaEvertonLiverpoolMan_CityMan_Utd
Relative Pts / Goal Diff(n/a)(= / +7)(-1 / =)(+1 / +5)(+5 / +8 )(-4 / +11)(+1 / +8)
Palace (a)1-02-0-0-0---
Swansea (h)1-0----3-0-
ARSEnal (a)0-1n/a--0-2--
Norwich (h)2-04-1--5-17-0-
Cardiff (a)1-03-0--0-0-2-32-2
Chelsea (h)1-1-n/a1-0--0-0
West Ham (h)0-3---4-1-3-1
Villa (a)2-0--2-01-02-3-
Hull (h)1-02-02-02-1-2-0-
Everton (a)0-0-0-1n/a3-3--
Saudi Sportswashing Machine (h)0-1--3-2-4-00-1
Emirates Marketing Project (a)0-6--1-3-n/a1-4
Man Utd (h)2-2---1-04-1n/a
Fulham (a)2-13-1---4-23-1
Sunderland (a)2-13-14-3-3-10-12-1
Personally I think it's a great way of showing our position.... But what stands out is the goals column for me like for like which is incredibly disappointing :((((

Personally I think it's a great way of showing our position.... But what stands out is the goals column for me like for like which is incredibly disappointing :((((

Indeed. Considering we've finished just 1pt behind ARSEnal in each of the past 2 seasons it would just be typical of our luck that we missed out on Champions League football due to goal difference at the end of this one!

it would just be typical of our luck that we missed out on Champions League football due to goal difference at the end of this one!

Very optimistic. The way our season is now threatening to spiral downwards i might be tempted to take that at this juncture.

Indeed. Considering we've finished just 1pt behind ARSEnal in each of the past 2 seasons it would just be typical of our luck that we missed out on Champions League football due to goal difference at the end of this one!

Hmm, lets say the goal difference is exactly the same, it then would come down to goals scored which is a good thing because it rewards the teams who are more attack minded. It's one of the main reasons I never bought the whole we're not smashing teams because we don't want to expend too much energy argument. Emphatic wins do wonders for confidence.

Not all bad news for United though. Howard Webb will be back again in time to face Spurs on 1 January.

Hmm, lets say the goal difference is exactly the same, it then would come down to goals scored which is a good thing because it rewards the teams who are more attack minded. It's one of the main reasons I never bought the whole we're not smashing teams because we don't want to expend too much energy argument. Emphatic wins do wonders for confidence.

I think it more than just confidence, which is important. We don't put teams away so we end up playing 90 minutes at intensity in every game (except City and Liverpool). When a game is won after an hour the the team can relax a bit. This could apply to the mental energy as well as the physical. Playing 90 minutes at high intensity with tense finishes can wear a team down. Tonking someone and then just moving the ball around to run down the clock is much more relaxing.

I think it more than just confidence, which is important. We don't put teams away so we end up playing 90 minutes at intensity in every game (except City and Liverpool). When a game is won after an hour the the team can relax a bit. This could apply to the mental energy as well as the physical. Playing 90 minutes at high intensity with tense finishes can wear a team down. Tonking someone and then just moving the ball around to run down the clock is much more relaxing.

=D> to say nothing of the stress it puts on us supporters!!!!

We didn't play 90 minutes intensity every game...

Ahh I should stay out of it

=D> to say nothing of the stress it puts on us supporters!!!!

Indeed! And it weren't entirely surprising that the crowd at WHL wasn't as uproarious as it was what with having to watch 80+ minutes of sideways passing with only 7 goals in 9 games to break the monotony.

To think that it was only a few seasons ago we got to enjoy a record 40 goals at WHL, conceded only 12 (the same amount as we've already let in this campaign!) and finished the season winning a record 74% of our home fixtures (Spurs best win ratio at White Hart Lane since the 1960s).

Last edited:
Our Top 4 rivals' results in corresponding fixtures thus far this season:
Relative Pts / Goal Diff(n/a)(+3 / +14)(= / +1)(+2 / +10)(+7 / +16 )(-1 / +17)(= / +8 )
West Brom (h)1-1-2-20-04-1-1-2
Southampton (a)3-2----1-1-
Liverpool (h)0-52-0-3-3n/a2-1-
Sunderland (a)2-13-14-3-3-10-12-1
Fulham (a)2-13-1---4-23-1
Man Utd (h)2-2---1-04-1n/a
Emirates Marketing Project (a)0-6--1-31-2n/a1-4
Saudi Sportswashing Machine (h)0-1--3-2-4-00-1
Everton (a)0-0-0-1n/a3-3--
Hull (h)1-02-02-02-1-2-0-
Villa (a)2-0--2-01-02-33-0
West Ham (h)0-3---4-1-3-1
Chelsea (h)1-1-n/a1-0--0-0
Cardiff (a)1-03-0-0-0-2-32-2
Norwich (h)2-04-1--5-17-0-
ARSEnal (a)0-1n/a0-0-0-2--
Swansea (h)1-0-1-0--3-0-
Palace (a)1-02-0-0-0---

Last edited:
Pie-in-the-Sky-34x28in-1978-1.jpg

Our Top 4 rivals' results in corresponding fixtures thus far this season... we've currently got more points than Emirates Marketing Project from like-for-like games \o/
Relative Pts / Goal Diff(n/a)(+3 / +13)(+3 / +7)(+2 / +11)(+7 / +14 )(-1 / +17)(= / +6 )
Stoke (h)3-0 3-1 ?-? 4-0 1-0 ?-?3-2
West Brom (h)1-1-2-20-04-1-1-2
Southampton (a)3-2?-??-??-??-?1-1?-?
Liverpool (h)0-52-02-13-3n/a2-1?-?
Sunderland (a)2-13-14-3?-?3-10-12-1
Fulham (a)2-13-1?-??-??-?4-23-1
Man Utd (h)2-2?-??-??-?1-04-1n/a
Emirates Marketing Project (a)0-6?-??-?1-31-2n/a1-4
Saudi Sportswashing Machine (h)0-1?-??-?3-2?-?4-00-1
Everton (a)0-0?-?0-1n/a3-3?-??-?
Hull (h)1-02-02-02-1?-?2-0?-?
Villa (a)2-0?-??-?2-01-02-33-0
West Ham (h)0-3?-??-??-?4-1?-?3-1
Chelsea (h)1-1?-?n/a1-0?-??-?0-0
Cardiff (a)1-03-0?-?0-0?-?2-32-2
Norwich (h)2-04-1?-??-?5-17-0?-?
ARSEnal (a)0-1n/a0-0?-?0-2?-??-?
Swansea (h)1-0?-?1-0?-??-?3-0?-?
Palace (a)1-02-0?-?0-0?-??-??-?

Beginning to hope fourth might just be an outside possibility. We have stronger squads than Liverpool and Everton and if they get a few injuries/ suspensions we could well beat them. To me, that leaves Man Ure as the most vulnerable. Their back four look much more vulnerable and if VP and Shrek stay out for long periods, relatively toothless - they really struggled to beat Norwich and really should have lost that game.

A lot is therfore riding on the result of our game on New Year's Day. If we can repeat our victory there, who knows, that impetus could, just could, take us all the way to CL.

Fingers crossed. A new optimism abounds.

Liverpool (h)0-52-02-13-3n/a2-1?-?
Sunderland (a)2-13-14-3?-?3-10-12-1
Fulham (a)2-13-1?-??-??-?4-23-1
Man Utd (h)2-2?-??-??-?1-04-1n/a
Emirates Marketing Project (a)0-6?-??-?1-31-2n/a1-4
Saudi Sportswashing Machine (h)0-1?-??-?3-2?-?4-00-1
Everton (a)0-0?-?0-1n/a3-3?-??-?

It might be just relevant in the 2nd half of the season when the corresponding fixtures have been played, but instead of n/a you have to place their result against us in these respective fields. You can't just leave these fields blank. Otherwise you would deny them results they have actually achieved.

I can't shuffle the deck and find a way for us to come 4th+.

> City and Chelsea - forget about it. The size and quality of their squads alone almost guarantees they will stay the course as others stutter. Both improving too I would say.

> While there are question marks over Arsenal's squad size, the problem is they're already 8 pts. + GD ahead of us. So they can afford to slip several times in their remaining 19 games and still hold us off.

> United, along with ourselves, have been the underachievers in the first half of season. I can see both clubs having strong second halves with their big squads, improving tactics/coaching and their turn coming to get the run of the ball. But United have the experience, GD advantage and winning habit that we don't have. That's a clear edge for them at this point.

> And even if there's a glimmer of hope in anything said above, we have to write off Liverpool, Everton, Saudi Sportswashing Machine before we can even wish upon that glimmer.

Brutal. Just can't see it.

Back