• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Fourth - who are we going to beat to it?

It's about winning every game we can/should. Right now, I view every fixture bar Southampton (H), Liverpool (A), Chelsea (A), Arsenal (H) and West Ham (A) as games we should win. If we do get those 7 wins it brings us up to 71 points with anything else a bonus. I still see the CL cut off as 78/79 points though.

Liverpool will finish above Arsenal. I will stake my cat's dinner on it.

Arsenal have some real issues, the limitations of Giourd are becoming apparent, Ozil becomes more anonymous every week and they've lost the dimension Walcott gave them.

Finish this sequence:

Teams finishing in fourth place
Season Team Points
2013-14 ? ?
2012-13 Arsenal 73
2011-12 Tottenham 69
2010-11 Arsenal 68
2009-10 Tottenham 70
2008-09 Arsenal 72

We're going to have to beat Liverpool to get 4th. A veritable 6 pointer if there ever was one.

In order to beat Liverpool we will need one hell of a peformance. Same goes with Chelsea away.

Its all very well making predictions but there are bound to be unnacounted variables from now unto the end of the season.....maybe an injury to Hazard/Sturridge/Giroud, maybe a shock result which none of us would imagine.

I do think we need to be in and around these teams as our last few games are very winnable. For now the pressure is off but that doesnt mean we can slip up...one game at a time....Norwich in the epl next...remember they shut out city but may be more adventurous vs us and leave more space.

I think for once it may be beneficial for us to be doing the chasing from a doable position rather than being the swashbuckling team sitting in the ucl positions only to miss out due to not handling the pressure or a late slump...or late shocking result.

We're going to have to beat Liverpool to get 4th. A veritable 6 pointer if there ever was one.

Pretty sure we will get trounced at Anfield unless we play very defensively, hopefully Sherwood can work something out. I was very confident when we played City away that season as we had been the better team all season. Liverpool will feel the same this season.

No one should get carried away. Liverpool and Arsenal have been miles better than us this year. That's not even debatable. I'll only entertain the though come the last round of fixtures and if we have a chance to finish above either.

Miles better, but only 3 & 6 points ahead ...

Scum look like it's the usual February and season implodes ...

Unfortunately Pool look as jammy as ever

Stay in range, win the games we are supposed to, avoid losing to Pool/Scum and we have a shot.

We are definitely going to finish fourth. Ok we haven't been playing brilliantly but Ade will fire us there

Pretty sure we will get trounced at Anfield unless we play very defensively, hopefully Sherwood can work something out. I was very confident when we played City away that season as we had been the better team all season. Liverpool will feel the same this season.
Yes I agree. Going in gung-ho would probably result in a spanking. They are excellent on the counter, but I beleive Tim has more savvy than to try to take them on with an all out frontal assault. I think he'll go heavy in midfield and try and dominate that area. Liverpool have off days too, they are not invincible and can be beaten if you stifle the supply.

I have a feeling that this will be the decisive match in the race for 4th. I know that mathematically that is not the case but beating them on their own patch would be one of those seminal moments in a season. A win would give us the momentum to make the 4th spot ours. I'm sure of it. A loss would almost be a knock-out blow.

No-one said it would be easy ;)

Last edited:
Yes I agree. Going in gung-ho would probably result in a spanking. They are excellent on the counter, but I beleive Tim has more savvy than to try to take them on with an all out frontal assault. I think he'll go heavy in midfield and try and dominate that area. Liverpool have off days too, they are not invincible and can be beaten if you stifle the supply.

I have a feeling that this will be the decisive match in the race for 4th. I know that mathematically that is not the case but beating them on their own patch would be one of those seminal moments in a season. A win would give us the momentum to make the 4th spot ours. I'm sure of it. A loss would almost be a knock-out blow.

No-one said it would be easy ;)

Liverpool tend to bypass the midfield when they're on song - it's the balls into the channels that are dangerous. I'd be tempted to play Vertonghen left back (even though that means Dawson in the middle against Suarez) and tie a 40yd rope between Walker and our right post.

Liverpool tend to bypass the midfield when they're on song - it's the balls into the channels that are dangerous. I'd be tempted to play Vertonghen left back (even though that means Dawson in the middle against Suarez) and tie a 40yd rope between Walker and our right post.

I'm not sure I agree with that. It's the Liverpool midfielders that are playing these balls into the channels and over the top mostly. Against us early in the season they repeatedly got behind us and this was due to lack of concerted pressure on the Liverpool midfielders, who then slid balls in behind us or popped over the top of our back line at will. The high line obviously contributed to our downfall that day but they had free rein of the midfield.

I also think Vertoghen at left back would be a disaster. He's had a few shockers playing there up against anyone with a bit of mobility. I'd keep him in the middle with Kaboul where he is most effective.

I'm not sure I agree with that. It's the Liverpool midfielders that are playing these balls into the channels and over the top mostly. Against us early in the season they repeatedly got behind us and this was due to lack of concerted pressure on the Liverpool midfielders, who then slid balls in behind us or popped over the top of our back line at will. The high line obviously contributed to our downfall that day but they had free rein of the midfield.

I agree that the midfielder played those passes, but they played them from deep. I guess that's a difference of terminology - for me, playing the ball over the top from deep is bypassing the midfield.

Of course to stop that we need to pressure high up the field (or sit really deep) but to avoid a massive gap between defence and midfield we'd need to play a high line.

I also think Vertoghen at left back would be a disaster. He's had a few shockers playing there up against anyone with a bit of mobility. I'd keep him in the middle with Kaboul where he is most effective.

Vertonghen at left back is a disaster, but I'm more concerned about Rose/Naughton against Sturridge.

Villa showed how to cause them problems. Liverpool always look very effective when counter attacking. they are a superb counter attacking side. They struggle when they come up against other sides who want to sit back and counter them. I would play a similar side to what started at Saudi Sportswashing Machine.

I agree that the midfielder played those passes, but they played them from deep. I guess that's a difference of terminology - for me, playing the ball over the top from deep is bypassing the midfield.

Of course to stop that we need to pressure high up the field (or sit really deep) but to avoid a massive gap between defence and midfield we'd need to play a high line.

Vertonghen at left back is a disaster, but I'm more concerned about Rose/Naughton against Sturridge.

Fair enough. I guess werre talking about something similar.

For me the deployment of Capoue against Saudi Sportswashing Machine worked very very well. 4-1-4-1 again might keep things tight enough to get something out of the game.

Strangely I'd be more confident of Rose or Naughton up against Sturridge than Vertoghen. I guess cutting the ball off at source is our best ploy.

Vs Liverpool Adebayor needs to press gerrard all game. He is the pivot and where all these passes mostly come from. Eventually balls will still come through and we need Sandro/Capoue to intercept.
4141 with all of our beasts in the centre and Lennon and Towsend on the wings for the counter with Paulinho breaking into the box.

If only I was manager

Last edited:
Jesus, if levy could have got one more year out of bale...

AVB would still be in charge and Bales last minute goals would be hiding our frailties. Hed then leave in the summer and by that time Eriksen and Lamela would have been picked up by somebody else and we would be knowhere.

AVB would still be in charge and Bales last minute goals would be hiding our frailties. Hed then leave in the summer and by that time Eriksen and Lamela would have been picked up by somebody else and we would be knowhere.

maybe, but we'd be about 15 points clear at the top of the league

Back